Tinnitus

What's Hot

Comments

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    edited March 2015
    Both ears mostly noticeable first thing in a morning. Eases off with background noise I am 39 and figure I am stuck with it. I do have my ears syringed every 6 months which does help. I would love medical assistance and would pay to have an ear transplant. I struggle to hear conversations in bars if I am not stood close to the person talking I use ACS Pro17s I can't stress enough how everyone should go and get a pair. All the detail is there in the music but at 25% lower volume. If I forget to wear them at home I notice within an hour of putting the guitar down. Went to see a friends band on Saturday great gig they sounded superb everyone had a great time no extra ringing on Sunday. I have tinnitus I accept it but using quality plugs contains the problem but still allows me to enjoy music. You are a mug if you don't protect your ears.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4958
    edited March 2015
    Mine's very intermittent thankfully. High pitched whine in the right ear mainly, and only seems to happen for about 30 seconds tops a few times a week.

ACS ER 20's for me 'cos I'm a bit of a cheapskate but they work. The Guitar Show at the weekend would have been hell without them for sure.

I definitely have a certain amount of hearing loss though as I often don't hear people talking at me when I'm concentrating on a task at home or work, and bars can be tricky. Either that or I have my bullshit detector turned up waaay to high! :P
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    Bloody hell. It's a wonder anyone managed to talk to each other at all at the jam night!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    I must admit I missed the Fretboard meeting after the guitar show as I wanted to give my ears a break what with working both days.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    edited March 2015
    How strange is this...  only last night I bought two e-books on tinnitus as mine is a bit louder than usual - and that's my worst nightmare.  I developed tinnitus after a flight back from my honeymoon in 2005 - whether it was the flight or not I can't say, but it seemed to start then.  I get a high pitched whistle in both ears - exactly like the noise you get from an old CRT TV or computer monitor with the volume off - the ultra-high whistle of the electronics.  I'm not ashamed to say it almost drove me over the edge.  I remember one night being so distressed I ended up in tears and punching my ears in frustration.  That probably wasn't the most sensible thing to do, but it was turning me insane.

I ended up being referred for 'tinnitus counselling' at the hospital, which was basically a waste of time, talking to a woman who.... I can't even remember what she used to say now....  but basically it was 'learn to live with it - how are you feeling this week ?'.  They gave me in-ear white noise generators to help drown out the tinnitus, but I had to have them so loud I couldn't sleep.

Over time, I slowly adjusted to ignoring it.  Once it would be my main focus, but then I noticed several occasions where I'd forgotten about it briefly.  Those brief moments ended up becoming 99% of my time.  I didn't do anything in particular to get here - it just happened over time.  I have a real fear... terror... of it one day getting louder.  I don't think I could adjust to it again.
    I also have hyperacusis - I have real difficulty in picking out an individual voice in even slightly noisy environments.  If I'm in a semi-noisy pub with the band, I have to put my hands behind my ears to create a parabola pointing at the person who is speaking.  I'm like a bloody human satellite dish !  What's galling is that all of the drugs I'm on, aspirin and bisoprolol for my heart, omeprazole for my hiatus hernia and citalopram for my burning desire to gun people down, all of them list tinnitus as a possible side effect !!!   I can't stop taking them as I'll end up running around with terrible indigestion, gunning people down, before having another heart attack - but maybe the ringing in my ears might stop.  Decisions decisions !

I don't know if this is urban myth or not, but I did hear about a man whose tinnitus was driving him insane, so he opted to have an irreversible operation to basically, sever the auditory nerves - deliberately making him completely deaf in both ears, as he just couldn't cope any more.  Allegedly the tinnitus remained, but was now the only thing he could hear, and he committed suicide.

I can perfectly understand people taking their own lives over tinnitus - it's mental torture.  Right now, I'm sat here with my new Shure in-ear monitors in, listening to this - to try to help.  

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I haven't got anything noticeable, I use earplugs whenever I'm watching a gig, whenever I'm onstage and during loud rehearsals.

HOPEFULLY that'll keep the wolf from the door, because I really fucking don't want tinnitus.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Bucket said:
    I haven't got anything noticeable, I use earplugs whenever I'm watching a gig, whenever I'm onstage and during loud rehearsals.

HOPEFULLY that'll keep the wolf from the door, because I really fucking don't want tinnitus.

You don't, and you are being wise about how not to get it. You should also, however, regard headphones and similar devices with great suspicion. My tinnitus came not from a loud band practice and a loud gig each week, or even going to other people's loud gigs. It was the umpteen hours a day I spent monitoring my own 4-track recordings on headphones because I lived in a flat and had very intolerant neighbours.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • I've always had problems with my ears in particular my left - in fact when i was a kid, the school thought i was backwards, it turned out that my ears were that blocked i was virtually deaf.
    So an op followed.
    Anyways, i've been to and from the docs, couple of years back had an mri scan to check if there was a tumour in my middle or inner ear, which was clear but still i've had a ringing and dullness in my left ear.
    Now last week, someone suggested using 3% hydrogen peroxide to clean my ear of any blockage.
    Apparently hydrogen peroxide used to be used to clean wounds etc.
    I've done it twice, the first after using earex to soften any wax etc - it fizzes like mad but has made a big big difference - early days yet but do far no noise and a balanced hearing level.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    I have it, and my hearing isn't as good as it used to be (I'm only 30 :-| ), and it annoys the shit out of the wife. 

I should get my hearing checked really. I only really notice it in the evenings when it's quiet at home. 

It's my own fault for going to a lot of loud gigs when I was younger. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I have NIHL, cost me my career. Probably due to noisy environment, but noisy gigs may well have contributed. I do have a bit of tinnitus, but clearly not as bad as some. My advice to the younger members would be to be aware, and use earplugs if you think you're going to be in a noisy place, rehearsal, or a gig. Once your hearing's gone, it doesn't come back again, and whilst it might seem funny to some, I can assure you it's not. First signs for me were having trouble understanding what people were saying if there was a lot of background noise.

Pardon ?

Sorry.... had to be done.  It's the law.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Update:

For no real apparent reason my tinnitus has escalated. About a week or so ago the occasional high pitched whine in my right ear now seems to have become permanent. Possibly a delayed reaction from the guitar show and after party but I'm not sure.

Regardless, it looks like I'm going to have to get used to having 15th fret, high E string G as a lifetime companion now! At least it's not a few cents off concert pitch, now that would be a real pisser.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    At least it's not a few cents off concert pitch, now that would be a real pisser.

Mine is, Around a 1/4 tone flat from an open high E.

Luckily it's not too bad.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    Out of nowhere, I just got a ringing in my ears this morning like I used to.

I've been wearing earplugs at rehearsal (though the others don't!!!) so that's ok... I do listen to music in the car and it sometimes has to go up in volume to get over road noise... I must stop that. And as silly as it may sound, I was at the cinema the other night and the sound was booming. I hope the ringing goes away because it's pretty unbearable!
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Out of nowhere, I just got a ringing in my ears this morning like I used to.

I've been wearing earplugs at rehearsal (though the others don't!!!) so that's ok... I do listen to music in the car and it sometimes has to go up in volume to get over road noise... I must stop that. And as silly as it may sound, I was at the cinema the other night and the sound was booming. I hope the ringing goes away because it's pretty unbearable!
    I went to the cinema for the first time in ages this week (Mad Max) and I really wished I'd taken my plugs as I had ringing ears afterwards (worse than my normal background tinnitus ringing).

I've not been to or played a gig without my ACS plugs in since I got them so it really was a shock.

Sometimes it can be worse if you're tired, or if there's a waxy build up going on (I get both regularly).
    I've had to stuff tissues in my ears in the cinema before now, so excessive the volume's been.

I seem to be talking like Yoda today...  Pass soon it will.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Since moving house mine has calmed down a bit. I actually think my tinnitus is caused by rhinitis rather than being in a rock band for nearly 10 years. Or am I deluded?
  • PlukkyPlukky Frets: 282
    Tinnitus in both ears here as well, since my early 20's.  I wear Etymotic ear plugs at the merest suggestion of loud noises now - even putting my son to bed in his first year - he was a screamer.

I took ginko biloba for a bit and it definitely made the tinnitus quieter, although I stopped because I felt that it was rolling off the top end of my hearing as a whole.
    It was also mad Max that I saw!
    It was way too loud and I wont be going to the cinema without earplugs in future...
    If you knew you were going to get tinnitus as a result of playing in bands, even with earplugs - would you still do it? 

Oh man... my right ear... just went all funny... like it's clogged up. Lost balance and while still "cloggy" I hear this high-pitched ring. I really hope it's not all coming back!