Tinnitus

What's Hot

Comments

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Not enough is done regarding hearing care. Cinemas play films too loudly. Gig volumes are general way too loud. The list goes on. 

Regarding my other post, I swear my head feels a bit funny! I think I'm going to have to put off practice tomorrow as this is no good at all - feels like something's wrong.
    Totally agree. I haven't gone or worked at a gig without wearing my ACS15's for a good few years now. And if we go out with friends and (on the VERY rare occasion) end up in a club/disco, I always take them as a matter of course. The absolute shit sound quality and damaging frequency's pumped out by mediocre club systems is a joke.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    Had loud tinnitus for many years. Sneezed heavily once and for several seconds it stopped! Then the volume was slowly turned up. The peace in those few seconds was heaven :((
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357

Well some of us only have ourselves to blame .... setting up the amp so it's loud enough for the people at the back of the pub to hear above the drums and then standing 2 feet in front of it .... the amps on a crate or stand "so I can hear it better"  :) Tinitus ? no shit Sherlock
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    edited June 2015
    Unfortunately a lot of pubs have a small performance area :( I couldn't believe the volume in the cinema last time I went
    Unfortunately a lot of pubs have a small performance area :(
    I played a wine bar last Friday night that was smaller than my lounge. Amp was mic'ed up as always, low stage volume PA doing all the work. I'm 46 now and been gigging since I was 15, I've done thousands but when I joined a band when I was 22 they made me play quiet onstage and mic'ed me up and I've been doing it ever since. I'm sure that's the only reason I don't have tinnitus yet . 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Good point. Maybe mic'ing up is the way to go.
    I do wear ACS pro 17s. I wonder if that's good enough...
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Oh really?? I've an appointment next week (with GP) regarding the ear ringing. If this hasn't gone by then I'll mention it!
    By telling the physio which fingers were numb and/or tingling she was able to pinpoint which bit of the neck (insert appropriate medical wording here) was being pinched.
    Well it's a gp I'm seeing and the day before I'm off for a week so if needed I can hopefully be referred
    STOP! Tinnitus is NOT caused by listening to loud noises. Plenty of folks who have quiet lives and quiet jobs have tinnitus. Thats why the internet and even the NHS is full of theories of how to treat it, even with counselling as mentioned earlier in the thread. There is some statistical correlation between tinnitus sufferers and those who have worked in noisy factories (and similar); but there is also statistical correlation between accidental drowning and ice-cream sales - but you wouldn't say there is a causal link. :)
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    ftumch;663738" said:
    I've got almost permanent high pitch w hihining now, only noticeable when it's quiet but always when it's quiet rather than occasionally like before. Have real trouble hearing any conversation in loud environments. I've booked an appointment at boots hearing care for this Saturday, gonna get me some ACS pro 15's.Really wish I'd done this before.
    Sounds exactly like me. I struggle keeping up with conversations in the pub because I can't filter background noise.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24210
    edited June 2015
    Pardon ?

Oh... hang on...
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Sorry what did you say ? I missed that...
    So what IS tinnitus linked to?
    Its 'linked' to lots of things, in that modern bad science way. But what categorically causes it to happen in a particular individual is unknown. It is not yet possible to say that if individual A does activity X then they will suffer Tinnitus at time T in their life.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    Chalky said:
    Its 'linked' to lots of things, in that modern bad science way. But what categorically causes it to happen in a particular individual is unknown. It is not yet possible to say that if individual A does activity X then they will suffer Tinnitus at time T in their life.
    Maybe, but if you go somewhere really noisy it's not uncommon to come home with ringing ears. And in most of our experience standing next to a noisy drummer and a 50W amp for 3 hours on a Friday night ledas to the same thing. Are you saying you don't think the noise causes the ringing? Because that's both hilarious and terrifying.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Yeah - ears ring after a loud gig - surely related. Anything that causes the eardrum to "move" no? 
    I wonder if it's even just vibration (work tools or standing behind an amp) as well.

It's not just Tinnitus either but basic hearing damage. There comes a cycle where your hearing starts to deteriorate a bit so you turn up the volume to compensate but  then that's not enough, so you turn up a bit more .... always using volume to combat a problem caused by volume! There's one guy left in my main band now who's not on ears and the volume he has to have his wedges at is truly horrific ...   There will come a time when even that volume won't be enough 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    Hearing damage is pretty subtle too - it's not just loud things not sounding as loud any more, but two specific and troubling things; firstly the loss of hearing around 2-3 kHz which means not being able to hear the articulation of vocals and many instruments as clearly. Second is the expansion of "Critical Bands" - that is, when you hear one sound, say for simplicity's sake with a frequency of 1000hz, that sound masks other quieter sounds around that frequency because the hairs in your cochlea are too busy vibrating to the loud sound. This happens normally, but with hearing damage the frequency range being masked increases so in complex sonic environments (loud pubs, full band mixes) it gets harder to focus in on specific sounds like voices to hold a conversation or one part of a mix.

Which goes right back to the dilemma of being a performing musician who needs to CRANK their sound to hear it over, rather than within, the mix.

I hate it. I have slight Tinnitus which comes and goes depending on several things - tiredness, coffee - still working out exactly what the triggers are.

I always have ACS pro-17 earplugs on my person and use them whenever I think I need to. Occasionally I'll even wear them on the drive home to get a break.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Everything is too loud these days. Gigs can be horrendous, for some reason people think that you cannot watch a sporting event without music blasting out all over the place, or a PA announcement coming over at ear-splitting volume. And I will not spend money in a shop that insists on deafening its customers.

And the radio. 5Live run ads and promos for their own programmes - you're listening to your programme and then suddenly A PROMO COMES ON AND YOU'RE BEING ASSAULTED BY A TRAILER FOR SOMETHING which is so bloody annoying, especisally if it's late.
    IEMs.... to be honest I use Pro 17s and hope that's enough, and my amp isn't mic'd. Maybe I should re-think.

Is it safe to wear Pro 17s whilst driving? I find sometimes road noise can be a pain, but that's maybe taking it to the limit!