Tinnitus

What's Hot

Comments

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    Oh, update! 

Around afternoon time a couple of my right hand fingers just went dead numb so I went to the doctors. They're not sure if it's carpal tunnel or just some squeezed nerve around my elbow (it's not tendonitis as that would be more shooting pain in the tendon) so they've said to rest it over the next week and go back. Fat chance given how much work I do with the keyboard/computer but at least I'll give the guitar a rest - and this forum, to an extent! 

She also checked out my ear drums... (yes, she was nice lol!). Left ear, no problem. 
    Right ear, previous scarring but she saw no rips. There's no clogging (and I just bought Earex, too!).
    Turns out.......... my ear drum is recessed slightly (into my head!). She says she's seen it before and it's like a suction effect, maybe if you've had a cold or something. Anyway she's given me nose drops! Sounds weird but I'll try it. I can still hear the high-frequency but it's not AS noticeable as two days ago - but still there! I wonder.... I do tend to wear ear plugs to bed to help me get to sleep (wonder if they've somehow gone too far in and nudged the ear drum - doubt it, though). I've now stopped doing that... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited June 2015
    scrumhalf;664982" said:
    Everything is too loud these days. Gigs can be horrendous...
    You should've been around in the 70s when the ringing in your ears didn't stop until about 3 days after the gig.

Gigs are much quieter these days.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    Being exposed to loud noise for long periods = hearing loss almost certainly. But tinnitus is not caused by loud noises. It is emphasised by hearing loss, not caused by it. That is why tinnitus remedies include counselling, relaxation, avoidance of things that raise blood pressure, and so on. Science does not understand the real cause - it can only 'link' it to other hearing issues. But they're just clutching at straws. For example I have tinnitus but very rarely went to gigs, never worked in loud environments, and I was blessed with naturally low blood pressure and slow heart rate. So I shouldn't have it :) Desperate scientists and doctors will probably go back to that modern catch-all meaningless answer - "It must be genetic!"
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2215
    I'm 53 and have mild tinnitus. I've used earplugs for gigs etc for 20 years. My Dad has suffered with it since his teens. Not sure what the equation is. Ignoring it helps. Reads this thread has brought it on. There's phone apps that play various noises for various time periods which has helped me in the past for sleeping. 

Can still hear the ring in my right ear - it's ever so slight - a lot better than before but not going away. Still taking those nose drops the doctor gave me (she saw scarring but no holes in the ear drum and also saw that the ear drum is recessed...). The hope is the ear drum pushes back out !

But worse... now both my hands are sore! I didn't play guitar for 3-4 days but after work today (and throughout the last few days) the fingers have been numb / felt sore at times. Weird that it's both hands now. If this is early onset arthritis, you can kill me now. Back to docs on Thursday anyway so will see what they say. 
  • My right ear ringing is permanent, not so loud that I can't ignore it but it's pretty much always there. Quiet nights are when I notice it most.

On the plus side, my tendonitis seems be not so bad at the mo' so swings and roundabouts, eh?
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    edited June 2015
    Told to take 6 ibuprofen a day for hand. Likely not carpal tunnel (says that doesn't really go away and people usually have to get an operation for that). The hand is worst after using a mouse for a while - my pinky tends to go numb!

Eardrum.. Not only recessed but there's fluid behind it. So I've got some special balloon I have to blow up with my nose to help clear that lol!!

Said tinnitus not always due to a hole in eardrum at all. Ear drum might look normal and you can still have it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    Blow a balloon up with your nose? Wow - I'd pay to watch that, any chance of pics?
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    Good news about the carpal tunnel, btw.
  • Has anybody ever thought about stopping playing and stopping listening to music so much (basically, stripping that out of your life) due to tinnitus? Extreme?

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Shudders in horror at the thought
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    I need the music to drown out the tinnitus... there is also a link between anti depressants and tinnitus which has certainly happened in my case...
    edited January 2019
    I've been noticing it a lot more in the mornings and for the first time in some time, it's racked me all of this afternoon in my left ear and still not gone away. Can make my ears ring by moving my jaw (sounds like a party trick). I'm out tonight for a birthday bash and wish I had my earplugs just for that as it's in a bar and they can be super loud. Going to be extra careful from now on.

I wonder if singing is actually worse for it than guitar because you are the noise source yourself and singing can be damn loud!

It's pretty depressing getting older - only 34 and I'm losing my hair, it's harder to keep fir and there's ringing in my ears lol!!
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    @thomasross20 34 is youthful hair or no hair   until there is a cure for tinnitus I am not going to get stressed about it at all lifes for doing loads of shit you enjoy and on that note hopefully you will meet a youngish attractive entertaining but most importantly, slighty naughty liberally minded lady who will fuck your brains out without a care in the world and you could just roll with that for a while.

PS if you meet someone like that ask if she has any similar friends
  • @mgaw hahahaha that made me laugh!! :)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329

Has anybody ever thought about stopping playing and stopping listening to music so much (basically, stripping that out of your life) due to tinnitus? Extreme?

no way. Tinnitus is legal and moral licence for bigger/louder amps played full up at any time...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Dude... I remember waaay back warning you about protecting your ears because you complained about the occasional bout of it after gigs etc.  I remember you saying something about being on the bus and having your earphones too loud?  It was a very long time ago,  Anyway...  as you may recall, I have it in both ears 24/7.  It drove me crazy initially and I went to some very dark places mentally.  However, as there is no real cure, the only way to alleviate it is to ignore it.  As impossible as it sounds, it’s the only thing I’ve found that works.

Every time you pay attention to it, listen to it, talk about it, think about it, your brain focuses on it and it becomes something your subconscious then considers important, so it will keep alerting you to its presence - a rather vicious circle.

In order for it to go away, you have to convince your subconscious that this noise is of no consequence at all.  You do this by just accepting and then ignoring it.  Over time, it will then alert you less frequently to it’s presence - which is the only time you “hear” it anyway.  When you are not thinking, writing, talking about or listening for it, your brain doesn’t pay any attention to it - which is exactly the same as it not being there.  For example, I can hear mine clearly right now, but I know that in half an hour when I’m engrossed in something else, I simply won’t notice it AT ALL.  It effectively vanishes.  I’m only noticing mine now because I’m writing about it so my brain gives it attention.

Much like, I imagine, people with other disabilities - say a missing limb, don’t spend every minute thinking “I’ve only got one arm!, I’ve only got one arm!” - they just get on with their lives and aren’t focused on its absence.

Be aware, as ‘lightly’ as possible (i.e. don’t stimulate your subconscious by worrying ‘this is vital’) of the things that make it worse and quietly avoid those.  It becomes harder for your subconscious mind to not alert the conscious mind if the tinnitus is louder than usual, as your subconscious is going “ooh, ooh, that noise you told me wasn’t important is louder now...  this might be important...  I’ll tell the boss”.

It’s all about convincing your nervous, alert, subconscious that this noise isn’t a danger, can’t harm you and can safely be ignored.  

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Well remembered about the music and thanks for the advice! 

I really need to carry my earplugs at all times... I was invited out last minute last night and it was quite loud (band environment)..
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    @Emp_Fab - I want to give your post more than 1 wis. 
    Nice one.

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    I can’t believe I’m saying this, but for the first time ever, I agree with Emp.....
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.