Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fun power chord songs...

What's Hot

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    njc said:

Hi all.

I'm currently working on my fretboard knowledge and also my powerchord muting technique.

Can anyone recommend some good easy songs that are largely based on straightforward power chords, if possible providing the chords would be great too ;-)

Ones I've been using to this point are Since you've been gone, Smells like teen spirit, Iron Man... - so I guess looking for stuff of that ilk really..

Cheers Guys.

NJC.

Nige - most of the songs I played last night would suit you!   

If you're working on your muting then including some riffy tunes would be good as well - the ac/dc, billy idol, gun etc etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulhpaulh Frets: 0
    The Wicker man by Maiden is one I like.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Motorhead Orgasmatron

Motorhead Damagecase

Bodycount Shallow Graves

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Great thread! I wanted to listen to it. TheFretboard.co.uk Power Chords
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Songs by metallica including:

Every song by metallica
  • njcnjc Frets: 0

Cheers Guys..

Lots to be looking at there so will give some a go.. ;-)

njc.

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    Nice one with the spotify playlist!

+1 on The Ramones --  great fun, whole songs, no solos. 

Pretty much the first songs I learned... and still earning a few quid with them most weekends! :)

Agree on the Ramones, try "Psycotherapy" for starts

F# - A - B (X2)

B - D - E (X2)

F#-E

(All IIRC)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mike_l said:
    Or if you're feeling brave a lot of early thrash (Metallica/Megadeth/Slayer etc) metal is power chords interspersed with open (heavily muted) low E

Megadeth are NOT an easy band to learn and are usually more riff-based than power chords, in fact all three bands are the same. Still, wonderful stuff for improving your speed technique \m/
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    I'm surprised that no one's said Teenage Kicks
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.

mike_l said:
    Or if you're feeling brave a lot of early thrash (Metallica/Megadeth/Slayer etc) metal is power chords interspersed with open (heavily muted) low E

Megadeth are NOT an easy band to learn and are usually more riff-based than power chords, in fact all three bands are the same. Still, wonderful stuff for improving your speed technique \m/

Metallica -  For whom the Bell Tolls - apart from Kirks intro lick and the harmony all power chords

Master of Puppets - powerchords/muted single notes (ok some open chords in the clean section)

Megadeth -  Peace sells chorus all power chords

Slayer - Angel of death main riff low E/chromatic power chords.

• Roland;85691" said:
    I'm surprised that no one's said Teenage Kicks
    Apart from @not_the_dj you mean?
    :bz
    Its a song I've never played, quite tempted to give it a go now, add to my small punk repertoire.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Beverly HIlls by Weezer is one I often teach to people getting into power chords. Also their track Pork and Beans.

You can invert a power chord by putting the 5th in the bass like this….

224xxx or 2244xx. You could use that shape instead of a standard B5 chord (x244xx = B5)

Hope that helps.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Twist and Shout Should I stay or should I go
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    Hammer to Fall doesn't quite qualify but it's still fun to play
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • thisisguitar;89901" said:
    Beverly HIlls by Weezer is one I often teach to people getting into power chords. Also their track Pork and Beans.

You can invert a power chord by putting the 5th in the bass like this….

224xxx or 2244xx. You could use that shape instead of a standard B5 chord (x244xx = B5)

Hope that helps.
    I call them death chords because they sound so big and angry. Love them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    edited November 2013

This is the most 'Death chord' I know…. the chord of doom (Steve Vai plays it when he ends the dual in Crossroads, just before the kid starts the classical piece, if memory serves)

Em7+b5 - 022330

It sounds like a childs' internal reaction to the mention of 'broccoli' :-)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Billy Bragg helped me endlessly with my power chord muting technique... Awesome, awesome pub song!

Billy Bragg - A New England.

Also agree on the Pistols :)
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Need your Love by Cheap Trick - with the E pedal tone, the E then the B, the D/DFlat/A and then the D.

Also the B-E and A-E part which I think is from the same song.

I could play those chords for a few months everyday and not get bored, knowing the song in my head, it is so ambient.  Rick Nielsen was a genius for bringing mood, tension and energy to a song with simple guitar parts.

Um....also anything off the first four albums especially by WASP.  School Daze, um, not really power chords but I love the Torture Never Stops riff.  I could play that all day long too, and the bridge part with double stops, that is cool too.  Most of the other songs are power chords though, 95 Nasty, Love Machine, Wild Child. Manimal, Somebody.

Um. Twisted sister - What you don't Know - extra low notes - heavy.

And some Blink 182 stuff, the chorus to some song, maybe anthem or another, I have this hybrid Blink song I do, as most of their stuff is kind of the same I get confused and it gets melded in my head, but the chorus goes. C-F, C-G, A-F - C and then back to the picking rhythm part and it's played like you were fly picking the chords.  Really tight and cool. I think it's from the chorus of 'Stay together for the Kids'.

And...Detroit Rock City by Kiss. Playing the repeated E-D (7-5-7-5-7-5 on the A string) with the low E as well......and then G-C, gggggggggggggggggg G-D,ddddddddddd  Wow.  I love singing along to that one too.

The verse riff isn't bad either, mostly air, but I only tolerate it because I know I am gonna cream my pants when the bridge to the chorus comes around.

ACDC is good too, like 'Long way to the Top' etc, but mostly forgetable.  KISS and Cheap Trick are where the magic are!

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2866

Horrid Henry Theme Tune

my kids love it

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom