Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Drew_fx said:
    hmmmm... one of them Fryette Power Stations could be cool to pair with the Helix.... *strokes chin*

Thinking the same, I wish more people would make such a thing, a JCA22h power section in a little box would be perfect, especially at Jet City prices
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Drew_fx said:
    hmmmm... one of them Fryette Power Stations could be cool to pair with the Helix.... *strokes chin*
    Or just get a Matrix GM50 module and plumb it into a cab. Cheaper, lighter and one less thing to lug around.
    If I recall correctly didn't @ICBM have a bit of an issue with the tech specs of those GM50 modules?
  • John_A;790556" said:
    Drew_fx said:

Thinking the same, I wish more people would make such a thing, a JCA22h power section in a little box would be perfect, especially at Jet City prices
    It's already small and is line level... But apparently post master volume loop, so you'd need to control the output of the preamp I think?

Perhaps @icbm can confirm.
  • paul_backskinpaul_backskin Frets: 84
    edited September 2015
    Drew_fx;790431" said:
    And said as much earlier in thread.

That set up could be used for recording, rehearsals, into big or small cabs at gigs or rehearsals, and straight to desk. Do it all fx/amp rig that wouldnt be a pain in the arse to lug around, and would still have valve goodness and oomph.

If only I had 1600 odd quid to spare instead of 15.
    I agree Pull_backskin.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_fx said:
    Or just get a Matrix GM50 module and plumb it into a cab. Cheaper, lighter and one less thing to lug around.
    Or even a THR100H. ;-)
    Seems a bit silly to pay for a modelling pre-amp in the THR100H you aren't ever going to use.

Line 6/Yamaha should make a powered stereo cab for the Helix.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    edited September 2015
    When mine arrives, I'll hook it up to a pair of active wedge monitors, I think that might be the best compromise.
    Something like these

edited September 2015
    @rossyamaha I'd love to see a little line 6 power amp along the lines of the DT25 power section, maybe with the clever reconfiguring stuff built in and controlled by the Helix, if you could sort that out this week it would be appreciated ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You should check out the Stagesource speakers. Essentially an FRFR dream rig.

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited September 2015
    Would the stagesource speakers sound like an amp in the room though? I mean thats the benefit of running your own power amp plus guitar cab, modelling is good but it's hard to model the way it feels standing in front of a 4x12. I worry that a more FRFR solution might end up sounding more like amp-miked-up-over-monitors.
  • hugbot said:
    Would the stagesource speakers sound like an amp in the room though? I mean thats the benefit of running your own power amp plus guitar cab, modelling is good but it's hard to model the way it feels standing in front of a 4x12. I worry that a more FRFR solution might end up sounding more like amp-miked-up-over-monitors.
    Total honesty, I've never tried it. Having spoke to our product manager who is a vintage Marshall/ Vox nut, after doing a days worth of comparing his collection with a Firehawk and an L3t, he said the difference was tiny. The only thing he picked up on was the Firehawk wasn't as unpredictable as his old Marshalls. Remember, that was Firehawk, not Helix. I guess it's something to try. We'll be pushing for this set up in stores so hopefully you'll be able to try it like that and make an educated decision.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2015
    ^^ That's been my experience, I much prefer the feel of a 'prober' cab on stage, at the minute I'm running my preamp into the FX return of a JCA22H and like the on stage sound, plus I have a load of cabs and don't really want to ditch them as in the event of a technology failure I have the backup plan of returning to a regular amp setup.

I've heard loads of Axefx setups through FRFR and I'm not convinced it's for me

• PwaloPwalo Frets: 113
    hugbot said:
    Total honesty, I've never tried it. Having spoke to our product manager who is a vintage Marshall/ Vox nut, after doing a days worth of comparing his collection with a Firehawk and an L3t, he said the difference was tiny. The only thing he picked up on was the Firehawk wasn't as unpredictable as his old Marshalls. Remember, that was Firehawk, not Helix. I guess it's something to try. We'll be pushing for this set up in stores so hopefully you'll be able to try it like that and make an educated decision.

Ross, enlighten me on an l3t? I've got a Firehawk so my interest is now piqued.
  • @Pwalo it's essentially a PA speaker but a very clever one. You have a number of I/O options but the DSP and sensors are where it gets clever. It will "know" if it's being used upright or as a monitor and adjust the eq accordingly. You also have options to use it like a full range speaker, guitar amp as well as a few other things. It's really very clever. There is an advantage to having the Helix or the HD500x as they work with the L6 link so can even cleverer.

• PwaloPwalo Frets: 113
    @Pwalo it's essentially a PA speaker but a very clever one. You have a number of I/O options but the DSP and sensors are where it gets clever. It will "know" if it's being used upright or as a monitor and adjust the eq accordingly. You also have options to use it like a full range speaker, guitar amp as well as a few other things. It's really very clever. There is an advantage to having the Helix or the HD500x as they work with the L6 link so can even cleverer.

@rossyamaha. Thanks for that Ross.. Not seen or heard of one. I'll see if I can demo one somewhere - looks like what I've after.
    Thanks.

• hugbot said:
    The problem you have is that the models are basically from recorded tones, so you aren't necessarily going to get that amp in the room sound. What you will get is the clear tones of the Helix without being coloured by an amp or specific cabinet. Only you can decide if that tone is good enough for you. I would suggest getting yourself down to a shop that has the Stagesource and a Helix once they are on general sale and trying it out for yourself.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Surely to amplify the Helix you need to "Re-Produce" and not "Produce" the sound from the unit, so active PA cabs are obviously the way forward 
  • Yes, you need FRFR speakers. Better active than passive. That´s the best way to amplify a modeler like the Helix. If you´re interested, take a look at my signature. 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670
    Total honesty, I've never tried it.

like shooting fish in a barrel. . . ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister