Gigs in Edinburgh

What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
Since there seem to be a few of us here from round these parts now… I thought it might be worth sharing gig info in one place.

I'll start - on Tuesday October 20th at Whistlebinkies (I'm sure that will make a few more appearances…) I will again be attempting to play bass in public. 9pm, fairly sharp since it's the Tuesday multi-band evening. Hopefully usefully early for all us middle-aged dads with kids to get to school in the morning ;). Or real musicians who do their own gigs at weekends :).

The band is called Kurtz, although last time they didn't manage to put us on the listing… all covers, but done in our own ramshackle garagey-rock sort of way. Hopefully see some at least one of you there!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'll be there. Must have picked you up wrong as thought you were playing G-tar! Still look forward to it :)

Useful to have this thread for our own microcosm. 

I'll be playing at the County Hotel in Dalkeith either 28th Nov or 5th Dec - will update nearer the time!
  • Alas I'm not allowed out on Tuesdays any more! Spousal booking in the calendar.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    It's my rehearsal night sadly All the best.
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    Yeah, I don't really get out much (or at all) in the week these days, but I'll try to make it along to some gigs by someone at some time.
  • Saw @ICBM playing WhistleBinkies this week and have to say I was impressed! Tight band, sound was great, his bass playing was solid, guitar too, drums were great and in time and the singer was well into it. Loved the song choices (as he said, well-known but different ones - not the usual suspects so your interest is held). That bass of his (Rickenbacker IIRC) was very cool and I noticed he co-ordinated his t-shirt colour to match ;) 

Would have chatted more at the end but was a bit loud - next time! Also should have got a group photo but I did get some grainy ones of the band on my phone which I'll send him and he can post if he wishes. 

All in all very good and would definitely see again! Two really stuck out for me - kicking myself for forgetting one but the other was the Faith No More tune - love them! 

Come on you Edinburgh guys, get along to some gigs!
  • Oh and Gaz got back to us - we're asking if we can play Tue 3rd Nov. 
    The only one for us after that is 7:30pm - 12am at the County Hotel in Dalkeith on 5th Dec. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    edited October 2015
    Glad to hear the barely controlled chaos of my bass playing sounded like 'solid' from out front :). I tend to thump it really hard in the absence of any sort of refined technique, so it at least comes over as powerful ;). We got a recording of it too - the guitarist has one of those little Zoom recorders which we put behind the bar. The first note of Don't Sit Down 'Cause I Moved Your Chair was funny, it's noticeably sharp because I over-picked it

Let me know if you get the 3rd, I don't think I have anything on the Tuesday that week.

The County Hotel in Dalkeith on a Saturday night in the Christmas party season, that should be fun :)).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• You should totally post the recording! Did it come out ok? Hopefully the gain knob on the thing was set low!
    Just going to mail you the pics... And yeah it was all good!!
    Will let you know.. and yeah, Dalkeith should be "fun" - hoping it's not going to be empty!!

edited October 2015
    It's getting ridiculous. If you buy a flat next to a pub then in my opinion you should have no right to complain about noise unless it's seriously unreasonable or they increase the volume or the running times *after* you move there. It rarely seems to be like that though - usually someone new comes in and then gets a venue shut down which has been operating the same way for years.

I lived over a pub in Stockbridge for ten years, and although you could hear music in the flat sometimes I never complained about it - that was the choice I made. The only time I did was when the cleaners came in on a Sunday morning and put the jukebox on! A polite word to the bar manager and that was stopped immediately…

I've played in the Phoenix. We weren't loud, by gig standards - totally different band from this one, semi-acoustic with the drummer playing a 'Flats' kit - and that was the normal volume for there. If anyone has an objection to it they seriously need to fuck off consider whether living in a vibrant city centre street like that is really for them.

• Agreed - and you know the Radical Road is now closed (I think that was more a lack of business thing) and the Dalriada has now banned the use of drums (so it's acoustic guitars sets only now). Total rubbish!
    Agreed - and you know the Radical Road is now closed (I think that was more a lack of business thing)
    That's a shame, it seemed like quite a good place. Hard to believe it was lack of business given how busy it was when I saw you there, I could barely get in, and I'm not large! I wonder if there may be more to it - prime development land, possibly.

the Dalriada has now banned the use of drums (so it's acoustic guitars sets only now). Total rubbish!
    Don't sell your Larriveé, you may need it!

I once played the Raeburn House Hotel when they had a limiter box over the stage. For a joke I strummed my *unplugged* Lowden acoustic pretty hard… and three red lights came up. Somehow I knew it wasn't going to be a very rock'n'roll gig...

• Rad Road have got new owners but I bet they'll get rid of the music bit. 
    Yeah, you mentioned that about the Larrivee - acoustic rock here I come ;)
    Lol ... looks like Glasgow, Fife and the Borders it is. 

• This thread is making me well nostalgic, wonder if any of you Edinburgh peeps could tell me if any of the places we used to play regularly are still going from memory we played a lot in the likes of opium, the 3-tuns, nektar, bannermans, whistle binkies (already mentioned), potterow, teviot, subway (cowgate). Im sure there's a few other but those were the ones we played regularly.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Bannermans is still going. Not sure about the others - I haven't been in any of them for seven or eight years, since I was last doing 'proper band' stuff... as opposed to acoustic duos, backing bands and open mics.

• Bannermans and Binkies are still going. Potterow and Teviot I assume still are (more student joints), and I think Subway is (though not sure if they're doing live music). Same for Opium - not been to these places for a while.
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    We played The Dreadnought last night in Bathgate - it was with my rock band but for this gig we did a Bad Company tribute set! We were supporting a Cheap Trick covers band - Dunsy and Hud are in that one - a lot of the Edinburgh regulars will know those guys :)

In my other band Stoked Jones, we have a full set coming up at Whistlebinkies on the 1st Nov :) Hope to catch some of you guys live soon!

Here's a wee song from last night :
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    edited October 2015
    Next Sunday?
    Isn't that your shreddy mate on guitar? Those vox love reverb! :) 
    Will see if I'm free and get in touch to see if any of my band can go!
    What are the times? 
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Next Sunday?
    Isn't that your shreddy mate on guitar? Those vox love reverb! :) 
    Will see if I'm free and get in touch to see if any of my band can go!
    What are the times? 
    Yep next week.
    It is my shreddy mate on lead here :p I'm on the Guthrie Charvel with a Victory V30 and into the house Peavey 4x12 - I play more lead in the other band! We are on 9.30-11.30 at Binkies

The guy on the desk put all the reverb and delays on - he got carried away on some of the songs but we had decent time to do a soundcheck at about 6.30 and then we went on about 9pm - very nice setup in there and good sound! Steve plays straight into the amp - he just uses a LPB-1 to boost

Be good to meet you mate :)