Gigs in Edinburgh

What's Hot

Comments

• OK will have to ask the missus tomorrow if we have anything on and then will see if the rest of the band get back to me but hopefully!! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We might be playing Binkies on the 10th November now, 10pm - 10:45pm.... just waiting to see if the rest of the band can make it. 
  • Chaps, my Police tribute band are playing at Binkies on the 17th November, it would be good to see some of you down there if you can make it. We're on at 9pm.

From the pictures above, the stage looks a decent size, certainly for three of us. What is the gear like? I gather you rock up and plug into the in-house amps?

www.facebook.com/thebillglasgow
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • Wow, it's all happening at Binkies!!!!!!
    I should definitely be good for that - and I heartily recommend it to others. 
  • Is it part of the multi-band night?
  • Yeah, not sure who else we'll be on with, probably 3 murder-core band, but hopefully it's a stepping stone to a Friday or Saturday night in the new year.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • We're hoping for the same - it's one of the last remaining venues lol. 
    @ICBM used the gear last week. I think we both preferred the sound of the transistor amp!
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Don't know how I missed this thread - I would have popped in on the 20th. Will try to make it to the others. :-)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    @ICBM used the gear last week. I think we both preferred the sound of the transistor amp!
    Not all of it - just the Ampeg bass amp, which is fine. My guitarist used his Soldano, which is cheating :).

He went through the AVT cab this time though which is normally set up with the Orange - when we played there before he used the full-size 4x12" on my side of the stage, which is normally set up with the AVT head. He actually preferred the AVT cab.

The band following us used both amps though - and the Orange did sound better than the AVT - but the cabs may come into that, and the chap going through the AVT was using a multi-FX so it's not quite a straight comparison.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• I'll be using my pedals into a clean channel - hopefully it all works out...!
    I'll be using my pedals into a clean channel - hopefully it all works out...!
    I'd definitely give the Orange a go before the Marshall. For a start it has more chance of not going up in smoke during the set :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• Noted! :)
  • Thanks for the heads up. I can deal with an AVT but I'd prefer to bag the Orange. I got the impression that they'd rather you use the house gear to avoid faffing during changovers? To be honest, we want to travel light on this one so I might just use what's there and plan accordingly with my pedals. I've actually been using my Cube 30 at rehearsals (gasp!) and through the Classic Stack channel it all sounds decent enough.
  • Cubes are ok IMO! 
    You're going straight back to Glasgow after? 
    Yep, I think they want a quick changeover - don't eat into your time setting up for too long :)
  • Think our main singer can make this gig but she's got a boy and says if weekday gigs are a regular thing we'd have to find another singer. 
    edited October 2015
    I got the impression that they'd rather you use the house gear to avoid faffing during changovers?
    A small combo or your own head through one of their cabs is OK. Something huge, your own cab, or your own bass amp, is likely not to be very welcome. The house drum kit is obviously mandatory, although you can swap the snare if you want to, and bring your own cymbals of course. My drummer had to swap the kick pedal when the house one fell apart though! Luckily he had his own with him. Presumably they fixed their one at the break…

I really don't see much need to bring your own amps though. Guitarists are fussy! In fact my one is thinking of trying the Orange the next time - even though his Soldano wasn't much hassle, it's still more than none. I will play through anything that's loud enough and has a tolerable clean sound usually, and do the rest with pedals. (For bass or guitar.) Anything else is just a bonus. It makes bugger all difference out front really.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I always took a tiny terror in there just in case the Amps were fucked (which was about half the time to be honest) It's a busy venue with a lot of bands I'm amazed the equipment hangs on as well as it does
  • Do the house amps have footswitches in case pedal board dies? I assume there were enough adapters to power things up with :)
  • I don't think I'd bring an amp at all. I STILL need to get some DI box...
    edited October 2015
    thomasross20 said:

Do the house amps have footswitches in case pedal board dies? I assume there were enough adapters to power things up with :)
    The Orange seems to have a footswitch, and will take a standard latching one with a 1/4" plug if not. Not sure about the AVT, and it needs a special switch with a multi-pin connector so if it doesn't you're out of luck unless you have the same one.

Plenty of mains extensions at both sides of the stage.
    thomasross20 said:

I don't think I'd bring an amp at all. I STILL need to get some DI box...
    I still have that H&K Red Box.