Other Instruments Category

What's Hot
There have been a few suggestions that we should have a dedicated section for all those "other" instruments that people might play or have an interest in.

So, whether it keyboards, drums, sax or the triangle, here's the dedicated section.

We'll see how it goes for a few weeks/months.  If there's the traffic to justify it, we'll create separate sub-sections for the more popular instruments.  If there's no traffic, we'll close the section down.
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Better make some traffic, then.
    :bz
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    I will work on a video showing my harmonica skills whilst wildly strumming my acoustic.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Any chance of getting an 'other instruments' classifieds?
    Misc doesn't quite cover it, I think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi, I play Dobro, and mandolin (a bit) if they count, oh and I've got a British made Weissenborn somewhere in the closet - near the door to Narnia. 
  • In an attempt to generate more traffic here:

I keep an upright piano, but haven't tried recording it yet. My only mics are an SM57 and an SM58. They might not work that well, if anyone can suggest a cost-effective alternative I'd like to know about it.

I also have a Rhodes MkI Stage Piano. It goes straight to channel 13 of my Studiomaster Series 5 16:8:2 desk and from there to my digital workstation. The results are quite good.

Plus I also have a Hammond model L102 organ which via a potential divider across the speaker o/p goes to channel 14. That sounds quite good, I also use a Leslie patch on my Quadraverb with it.

It's broken now, but I did have a Yamaha DJX keyboard, going to channels 16 & 15. It had a lot of silly beep-beep noises on it but if you were prepared to dig through the menus there were some good string pads, and useable piano pipe-organ and Hammond sounds.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    @Phil_aka_Pip You'll likely get more answers by posting a new thread on this as opposed to posting it here  :)
    Stop crying, start buying
  • In an attempt to generate more traffic here:

I keep an upright piano, but haven't tried recording it yet. My only mics are an SM57 and an SM58. They might not work that well, if anyone can suggest a cost-effective alternative I'd like to know about it.

I also have a Rhodes MkI Stage Piano. It goes straight to channel 13 of my Studiomaster Series 5 16:8:2 desk and from there to my digital workstation. The results are quite good.

Plus I also have a Hammond model L102 organ which via a potential divider across the speaker o/p goes to channel 14. That sounds quite good, I also use a Leslie patch on my Quadraverb with it.

It's broken now, but I did have a Yamaha DJX keyboard, going to channels 16 & 15. It had a lot of silly beep-beep noises on it but if you were prepared to dig through the menus there were some good string pads, and useable piano pipe-organ and Hammond sounds.
    The best tip I had for recording upright pianos is to take ALL the panels off - what with them being place against a wall and everything it can really open up the sound and stop them sounding 'boxy'.

There's no reason why a pair of dynamic mics can't sound reasonably acceptable ('retro', even) but if you want a bit more air and sparkle then a couple of condensers would be better. There are loads of affordable condensers available these days - check out Thomann's own brand or (if they are still made) Superlux. I have a Superlux large diaphragm condenser that I won in a competition from a magazine - it's done me sterling service over the years and wasn't a particularly expensive model (sub £100 I believe).
  • "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    edited March 2016
    My wife had a piano miced up the other day - they took the top off and used a condenser in it. Sounded lovely.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.