How much are you paid to gig?

What's Hot
BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
Hope I won't be seen as being nosy for asking this. My band is going to start gigging. Basically we do 2 hours of cover material at bars and also original material, if the management allows. The band is a 4 piece with vocalist, guitarist, keyboardist and drummer. What realistic ballpark figures we should be aiming for?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    It will vary for different regions and venues...

If it helps in East Yorkshire most of the pub gigs I do are around £300 and clubs a bit more - 4-450 but that could be after or before the agent fee.
    For functions - weddings, parties etc then it's double that but I've been in bands that charge around 1500 for weddings - especially via an agent.

We have a saying in one of my bands - for pub gigs - we don't get paid for playing, we get paid for carrying the ton of gear around, getting there at 6.30 and leaving at 1.

It'll be interesting to see how it varies around the country...
  • For SE London pubs we were taking 250-350 last year for a 4-piece, depending on how much "lights n shit" they wanted. For a full fiction anywhere between 800 and 1500 depending on lights, timings, location etc.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    £150 in Cambridge for the relatively unknown bands. More if you're guaranteed to pack the place out.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Nottingham pubs are £200 to £250
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    Our target is £250-350-ish for a pub gig around Essex/Suffolk...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Roland;84465" said:
    Nottingham pubs are £200 to £250
    I'm in Nottingham and got offered the exact middle of this range. Cheers guys!

• £200 - £300 for pub gigs. We generally work on a minimum of £50 each.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited November 2013

Around London and Surrey, for smaller acoustic gigs, £50-100. Pub gigs £200-400 and for functions, £1200-2000.

As someone mentioned here, it's not just the 1-2hrs you play, it's when your day starts and particularly with functions, you need to factor in location, petrol, parking, equipment required, set up and set down time and what time you get home. It's not unheard of for it to become a 12hr day.

Also of note, if you're doing functions, a lot of places require your gear to be PAT tested and for you to produce a copy of your liability insurance certificate!

Good luck

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    I'm in 4 bands. The lowest paid band gets about £250 to £300 a gig, the top earning band gets typically £500 to  £650 for a pub gig to as much as £2100 for corp \ wedding work. 

As mentioned though the big payers can be brutal hours and you need some expensive gear
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Nothing to play, £50 to shut up.

What's the saying? Only do a gig if it pays or if its fun or if it leads to a better gig?

The best paid gigs I have ever done have been weddings, but they truly sucked the fun out of being in a band. :o3
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • In West Yorkshire, we get between 200 and 300 in pubs,

In jazz, no one can hear you scream
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    edited November 2013
    I can't speak for covers but originals? 

You barely get the petrol, bar in towns inside of your own county. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    My old band were about £200-250 for pubs and double that for weddings/functions in Suffolk.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    We were averaging £250 to £300 for pub gigs (covers BTW) and £350 to £700 for hall gigs or functions.

Up here weddings are pretty lucrative, especially if you do the old hooch and chooch Scottish stuff (we didn't). Upwards of a grand on average.

Sadly originals bands up here are going the same as down south and get paid very little and have to deal with getting paying punters in the doors. It is shame but pubs etc now see covers bands as a known product and originals as a risk or punt, it sucks.

• vizviz Frets: 10647
    I get paid nothing at all the gigs I play at. Never mind it's only supposed to be a hobby.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Viz, are you serious? But you totally slay at the guitar!
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    bristol area - we are a new band and we are being offered between 150 - 200 a night for two sets of about 50 minutes each
  • In the South West of Ireland, I would get average €100 per gig per person. Sometimes €120, sometimes €150, but the €150 is rare.

Weddings would pay more, sometimes €250-€300 per person.

But it's not like that every week. 
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    My solo shows have ranged from free (travel and beer though :P) to £200... so far! 
  • Hymnal said:
    My solo shows have ranged from free (travel and beer though :P) to £200... so far! 
    You get paid to masturbate in front of people? :-o
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom