Building your own stompboxes

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I think maybe I was applying too heavy a lacquer to the decal to 'set' it.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited August 2013
    Has anyone used that stuff from photo paper - Photo Paper Direct Adhesive Decals?  Although it's clear, does it hold colour against dark enclosures?
    It's what I use. There's a technique to getting the best results (on my site). But yes, you're in the same boat as you would be with transparent waterslides when it comes to colour and enclosures. It's why I tend to stick to light coloured ones. When I do do a black enclosure I print on the white decals. Which are a pain to be honest so I don't do it often.

IMO they're better than waterslides in every way. Much, much easier to deal with once you get the hang of them. More robust and I get way better results.

The way we do them is we use raw/polished or powder coated enclosures, adhesive decals and we finish the top with Envirotex. You really have to mean it to damage them now.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited August 2013

I've always wanted to try Envirotex.  Do you find it easy going to get a smooth finish?  Is there a lot of waste?

Edit - I saw the bit on your website.  So you are literally only Envirotexing the top, not the sides?

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited August 2013
    Yep. As the boxes are powder coat or bare, they don't need it.

Cleggy has just done 4 boxes today in fact. I think he used 45ml for that. Once you get your technique down it's way easier, cheaper and more durable than lacquer. The only issues occur when you get tiny bubbles in the finish. then you have to sand and T-cut them to get them nice.

EDIT - Those guides are a little old. Our technique has refined over time. This is the last time I went through it end to end whilst taking pictures: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=8212.0
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    edited August 2013
    Any chance of getting this one stickied like the one in the old place?

Or should we put it in the making and modding area?
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I've been using Lazertran inkjet decal film with excellent results. It's quite thick, so you can print whole front panels without any stretching and tearing. Just make sure you seal it with Plastikote fast dry clear lacquer to ensure the backing goes clear.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....