SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

How to pack a guitar

ClassifiedsModClassifiedsMod Frets: 1
edited January 2016 in Misc £
Advice thread for preparing and packing a guitar for couriering across the country - or beyond.

How's best to do it?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If you're sending anything slightly delicate then use a hard case with a properly supported neck (especially for Gibsons). If it's not going in a hard case, go to a guitar shop and beg for one of their cardboard boxes that their new stock came in. Stick thin card under the strings between the fretboard. Use bubble wrap and crunched up paper to pack the guitar so it's immovable. Gaffa tape the box on all edges. Take pictures at each stage. Remember to put in all the accessories (any tags, vibrato arms etc) in with the stuff or you'll end up opening your box again or posting them separately. Stick the photos on Dropbox so your buyer can see what you've done. Make sure you are aware of the policies of your courier.

Cross your fingers and hope. I've never had a guitar damaged using the cardboard box method.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11495
    edited January 2016 tFB Trader
    I will do a photo or video guide very soon as we often have to pack and ship guitars for domestic and international shipping.
    Next guitar we do I will get the cameras out for.

I will still say use a reliable courier like UPS but pack it like you are using Yodel

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    I will do a photo or video guide very soon as we often have to pack and ship guitars for domestic and international shipping.
    Next guitar we do I will get the cameras out for.
    That'd be great - thanks Jonathan!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    a nice little guide

although personally I often go much further than that.  I like to bubblewrap all around the case and the box too.

My biggest mistakes with packaging in the past have been from over-packing in the case, often throwing a good set-up way out on the journey.   If you have to squeeze the case shut, its too much  ;)
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    edited January 2016
    @TTony. Can you sticky these guitar/amp packing threads so they dont disappear?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Ah sorry, missed that. Cheers Tony.