Truefire Pat Martino Course

What's Hot
Hi folks, 

Anyone here pre-ordered the new Pat Martino Truefire course?    I got it for £40 after discounts.

It's gonna be really good.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 733
    As you probably have yourself, I've listened to Pat Martino for many years, I've got the old dvds and the first book, creative force etc, great playing, fantastic lines, he has one of the best alt picking techniques over complex changes I've ever heard, I saw him play live the other year. Wow.........
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBoden said:
    As you probably have yourself, I've listened to Pat Martino for many years, I've got the old dvds and the first book, creative force etc, great playing, fantastic lines, he has one of the best alt picking techniques over complex changes I've ever heard, I saw him play live the other year. Wow.........

The course is very interesting and I would recommend it.  Although Truefire class it as Intermediate and Advanced, I would say it's quite an advanced course as you would need to have a good understanding of theory before you try to understand theory how Pat views it.  He definitely has a very unique way of looking at things.  Some makes a lot of sense.  
    GuyBoden said:

The course is very interesting and I would recommend it.  Although Truefire class it as Intermediate and Advanced, I would say it's quite an advanced course as you would need to have a good understanding of theory before you try to understand theory how Pat views it.  He definitely has a very unique way of looking at things.  Some makes a lot of sense.  
    Minorisation.................
  • GuyBoden said:
    GuyBoden said:

Minorisation.................
    that's right.  There is a lot more in his approach.  The explanations of geometric shapes is very, very interesting and now makes sense to me after hearing and seeing him explaining it.  The section on "The Seven Primaries" is more interesting to me than many of the theory books I've read over the past 10 years.  
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    He does lay on the Eastern myticism a bit thick. 

Not for the faint hearted, very autobiographical, definitely not a How-To.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Just watched the seven primaries section. Hmmmm, he's a bit out there alright. Definitely piqued my interest though. I must watch it in context...
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • if you have his Quantum Guitar and Creative Force DVDs there is not a lot of new material here.  I asked for a refund on the course.  

if you have his Quantum Guitar and Creative Force DVDs there is not a lot of new material here.  I asked for a refund on the course.  
    As you probably have yourself, I spent a considerable amount of time going through the Martino stuff, but I'm not really into his minorisation of everything, so I took Martino's lines from his records, dvds, books etc and converted them to standard scales; Mixolydian, Lydian, Dorian, Aeolian etc but with the added Martino chromatism, this didn't really work for me, because I think he mainly hears the whole progression not just chord/scale relationships.

A truly exceptional player, he has such a fantastic rhythmic pulse.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 459
    There’s a lot of profound info and definitely worth studying, but for me, I kept thinking right, how to I apply that to say ATTYA and kept coming up short.  I guess the amount of work needed to really internalise minorisation is going to be massive and so I never could cross the divide - that and the obvious talent deficit...
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    Kind of interested myself tbh but jazz learning scares the hell out of me. I've just about got the modes under my belt during this lockdown period though :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    edited June 2020
    Personally, I think the old Pat Martino Linear Expressions book is easier, it has five great lines and you learn them in each position.  The positions are defined by inversions of a min chord.

He calls each line an activity, you learn each activity and play it against each chord.

It's been a while since I used them, I don't play Jazz much nowadays, but they were great lines.

• BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3316
    Seems one of the more interesting Truefire courses. I keep stumbling on Chris Buono picking courses that sound interesting but are dogmatic crap
  • BradBrad Frets: 658
    GuyBoden said:

if you have his Quantum Guitar and Creative Force DVDs there is not a lot of new material here.  I asked for a refund on the course.  
    As you probably have yourself, I spent a considerable amount of time going through the Martino stuff, but I'm not really into his minorisation of everything, so I took Martino's lines from his records, dvds, books etc and converted them to standard scales; Mixolydian, Lydian, Dorian, Aeolian etc but with the added Martino chromatism, this didn't really work for me, because I think he mainly hears the whole progression not just chord/scale relationships.

A truly exceptional player, he has such a fantastic rhythmic pulse.

Love this gig. The drummer is unreal! And even when Scofield joins in (one of my favs ever) Joey DeFrancesco just steals the show.