Binding on a body - a world of pain?

I'd like to have a go at making a body with binding around the top edge. It looks like something that would be difficult to do well, am I asking for a world of pain and disappointment for even thinking about it, or is it achievable for an amateur?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited February 2016
    Definitely achievable if doing plastic binding with a router.
    Doing wood binding takes a bit more skill.
    Doing wood by hand will make you want to kill yourself.

My first one was ebony by hand which was hugely difficult.
    Never again.

The Bosch Colt router and the Stew Mac binding router bit set will see you right.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Yeah, I'm thinking plastic. 

Useful info on the Stew Mac page, but I'll probably look for a cheaper bit as it's gonna be a one off! Ta.
    axisus said:
    Yeah, I'm thinking plastic. 

Useful info on the Stew Mac page, but I'll probably look for a cheaper bit as it's gonna be a one off! Ta.
    Most of the expense is in the stepped bearings.
    You don't want to be taking too much material off at once.

Practice before you do it too- don't do it the first time on the work.
    The trick with this as well is how you deal with the curves and the wood grain. there are a couple of places where I actually back cut (so go left to right) to avoid getting tear out.

Probably more of an issue with an acoustic soundboard though, as spruce tears quite easily.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    The bindings bits make this a 2 minute job on a flat top electric like a Tele. One minute doing all the downhill routes, then once around the whole edge to finish.

So its expensive for a one off, but cheap compared to the hours it will take handcutting a channel after either making or buying a purfling cutter and appropriate chisel
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    So can it be done with a cheaper router bit? It will be a flat top. 
  • Yes, just get a laminate trimmer bit and an undersized bearing.
    axisus said:
    So can it be done with a cheaper router bit? It will be a flat top. 
    Yes I guess so, but I haven't done it any other way.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    The problem is finding the right size bearing and cutter for your binding, but yeah, its theoretically possible and may save you a little money.

The stew-mac set is pretty much perfect for most common sizes though. Maybe a bit expensive for once, but even if you only did it twice it will have paid for itself
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    edited February 2016 tFB Trader
    The link below shows the cutter I use, much cheaper than a Stew Mac and its down shear so no chip out on top guitar edge, a good range of bearings available, you can get set up for not much over 20 quid. I've been using one of these cutters several years most likely routed 30 or 40 guitars with it still as good as new.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I use them too.  Router bits are a rip off at the best of times one the UK, not only are they reasonable, but more to the point they are one of the few that actually stock what you want.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Mine's from Wealden too. Their website allows you to select the appropriate blade and bearing to suit you trip size.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.