The 'most normal' town in britain

What's Hot
sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-39428314

Having lived in the area all my life, it's strange to think that Didcot is considered 'normal' . The town centre , which is populated by charity shops, and single mums in track suits chugging down faaags - seems very far flung from the American view that everything is all pride and prejudice on this side of the pond!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    sgosden said:

Having lived in the area all my life, it's strange to think that Didcot is considered 'normal' . The town centre , which is populated by charity shops, and single mums in track suits chugging down faaags - seems very far flung from the American view that everything is all pride and prejudice on this side of the pond!

Having seen the way some people talk about other of differing creeds and faiths, there's far too much misplaced pride and prejudice for my liking...
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I know Droitwich Spa a bit which is second, I tend to think of it as a slightly odd little town with the spa (although I think it's closed) and funny little streets in the town centre. I'd be surprised if it represents Britain's diversity very well although living in the West Midlands perhaps I think we are more diverse than lots of places in the UK really are. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14245
    tFB Trader
    I love these #hit surveys's - what the hell is normal and how do you measure it - worse still that someone gets paid to create such stats - granted there are nice towns and grotty towns but how do you determine nice town A,B,C or D is better than nice town E,F,G or H - different shops, population, amenities and surrondings all have an impact - but overall these survey's are #hit IMO
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    sgosden said:

My first bro in law and his family lived in Didcot. If by "normal" they mean nothing ever happens I guess they're right. I remember him showing me the local paper once (Didcot Herald?): the headline was "girl empties bag of crisps over man's head". 
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    boogieman said:
    sgosden said:

My first bro in law and his family lived in Didcot. If by "normal" they mean nothing ever happens I guess they're right. I remember him showing me the local paper once (Didcot Herald?): the headline was "girl empties bag of crisps over man's head". 
    Holy cow! I hope that guy was all right ....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    Can you be the most normal anything?

Isn't "normal" defined by a set of parameters? Unless you say that "normal" is, say, meeting three of five parameters and meeting four might make you "more normal". But then how do you get to be the most normal?

I say this from the viewpoint of never meeting any sort of criteria for normal.
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    Southwick? That's not a town. It's barely even a place. It's just a smear between Portslade and Shoreham, which are themselves just extra bits of Brighton and Worthing.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • boogieman said:
    sgosden said:

Almost as bad as, "Man dies of natural causes" definitely a slow news day that day :-)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I used to live in Didcot.

Me and the missus, and most of our friends used to call it DeadCat.

Says it all really...
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Bon Jovi and Motley Crue made me change the future
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Several posters have asked about what the researchers mean by 'normal'. This is the key part of their research, but as with most reporting, it's the bit that gets mostly missed out of the media reporting, because it's rarely as sexy as the soundbite conclusion. Don't blame the researchers for the partial reporting that appears on news sites!

However, in this case, the answer is right there staring you in the face. Didcot is statistically the most normal. That means that according to the criteria they selected (which are, again, mentioned right at the start of the article) Didcot's overall result is closest to the national average.

On the face of it, therefore, it's a purely objective numerical measure. That's not quite true, of course, because the selection and weighting of criteria affects the result; but if you read the research, I'm sure you'd find an explanation of their methods.

Ghost Town, of course, is Coventry during the early 80s. I know, I was there...
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    boogieman said:
    sgosden said:

well, nothing ever happens in the towns down here, but if you see some of the natural born inhabitants of those towns, you'll quickly realise they are a long fuckin way from normal.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    Several posters have asked about what the researchers mean by 'normal'. This is the key part of their research, but as with most reporting, it's the bit that gets mostly missed out of the media reporting, because it's rarely as sexy as the soundbite conclusion. Don't blame the researchers for the partial reporting that appears on news sites!

However, in this case, the answer is right there staring you in the face. Didcot is statistically the most normal. That means that according to the criteria they selected (which are, again, mentioned right at the start of the article) Didcot's overall result is closest to the national average.

On the face of it, therefore, it's a purely objective numerical measure. That's not quite true, of course, because the selection and weighting of criteria affects the result; but if you read the research, I'm sure you'd find an explanation of their methods.

Ghost Town, of course, is Coventry during the early 80s. I know, I was there...
    Yes I agree, their definition of "normal" for the purpose of this study is very clearly defined in this but I suppose it's easy for people to get all wound up by applying their own (subjective) concept of normal to it instead and therefore missing the point
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    VimFuego said:
    boogieman said:
    sgosden said:

well, nothing ever happens in the towns down here, but if you see some of the natural born inhabitants of those towns, you'll quickly realise they are a long fuckin way from normal.

12,000, 4 surnames, something isn't right here.
    edited March 2017 tFB Trader
    just baffles me as to what the research criteria can call normal - for something to be normal then something else has to be not normal - so for now what is not a normal town and what will I find there ? - Toon town - some weird alien characters - mud hut style shopping centres and wacky natives with multiple body piercings and wear string vests 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    sgosden said:
    VimFuego said:
    boogieman said:
    sgosden said:

12,000, 4 surnames, something isn't right here.
    I lived in Oxford and worked in a diy shop Witney in the late 70s. On market day in Witney you'd get a whole bunch of very odd people coming in from the the local villages. There was one place, I think it was Bampton, where everyone was seriously interbred and the place had a reputation for having the biggest number of ESN people in the whole of England. I remember one Bamptonite asking me for a part for a lawnmower. When I asked him what make it was, he looked puzzled for a while then finally said "Errrr, I dunno. It's green ". 
    tFB Trader
    boogieman said:
    I lived in Oxford and worked in a diy shop Witney in the late 70s. On market day in Witney you'd get a whole bunch of very odd people coming in from the the local villages. There was one place, I think it was Bampton, where everyone was seriously interbred and the place had a reputation for having the biggest number of ESN people in the whole of England. I remember one Bamptonite asking me for a part for a lawnmower. When I asked him what make it was, he looked puzzled for a while then finally said "Errrr, I dunno. It's green ". 
    sounds like a local shop for local people - Royston Vasey style

so can we say Didcot has a normal shop for normal people
  • Didcot, even Wetherspoons won't go there.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Didcot, even Wetherspoons won't go there.
    Bicester Snob ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom