The 'most normal' town in britain

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Didcot, even Wetherspoons won't go there.
    Bicester Snob ;)
    True story. they looked. Then went to Abingdon instead.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Didcot, even Wetherspoons won't go there.
    Bicester Snob ;)

Bicester Snob with a Wetherspoons.  #treatyoself
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Didcot, even Wetherspoons won't go there.
    Bicester Snob ;)

Bicester Snob with a Wetherspoons.  #treatyoself
    You lucky lucky boy ;)
  • Every day is a gift in Bicester. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    The only thing* Didcot had, the second only thing Didcot had going for it was those pluming cooling towers that I used to see from the high pass on the A339 at Kingsclere just the other side of Basingstoke on a cold clear winter's morning...

* Oh and the Railway Museum
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    The only thing* Didcot had, the second only thing Didcot had going for it was those pluming cooling towers that I used to see from the high pass on the A339 at Kingsclere just the other side of Basingstoke on a cold clear winter's morning...

* Oh and the Railway Museum

TBF we've still got pluming cooling towers, they're just low level, and not as noticeable, unless they're on fire...
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Every day is a gift in Bicester. 
    Free gift you get with a copy of the Sun?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • just baffles me as to what the research criteria can call normal - for something to be normal then something else has to be not normal - so for now what is not a normal town and what will I find there ? - Toon town - some weird alien characters - mud hut style shopping centres and wacky natives with multiple body piercings and wear string vests 
    My previous post didn't do the trick, so let's try again: 'normal' in this context -- as the article makes pretty clear -- means closest to the 'norm'. Best way to understand 'norm' would probably be 'average'.

So it is absolutely nothing to do with 'normal/abnormal' as you're using it, which is a matter of cultural expectations.

It's saying let's take a bunch of measures like how old people are, how many own houses, how many voted for Brexit, etc and compare the averages with those of the country as a whole. Do that for towns all over Britain and you find that overall, Didcot is closer to the average (technically the median, but let's understand that colloquially as 'average').

'for something to be normal then something else has to be not normal': OK, so Chipping Norton is not 'normal' because its average income would be way above that of the UK as a whole, Bournemouth is not normal because its average age is too high, Stoke is not normal because too many people voted Brexit... etc. etc. Are you getting the picture?
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    just baffles me as to what the research criteria can call normal - for something to be normal then something else has to be not normal - so for now what is not a normal town and what will I find there ? - Toon town - some weird alien characters - mud hut style shopping centres and wacky natives with multiple body piercings and wear string vests 
    My previous post didn't do the trick, so let's try again: 'normal' in this context -- as the article makes pretty clear -- means closest to the 'norm'. Best way to understand 'norm' would probably be 'average'.

So it is absolutely nothing to do with 'normal/abnormal' as you're using it, which is a matter of cultural expectations.

It's saying let's take a bunch of measures like how old people are, how many own houses, how many voted for Brexit, etc and compare the averages with those of the country as a whole. Do that for towns all over Britain and you find that overall, Didcot is closer to the average (technically the median, but let's understand that colloquially as 'average').

'for something to be normal then something else has to be not normal': OK, so Chipping Norton is not 'normal' because its average income would be way above that of the UK as a whole, Bournemouth is not normal because its average age is too high, Stoke is not normal because too many people voted Brexit... etc. etc. Are you getting the picture?
    Picture got. still more fun to mock a dull town.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosden said:
    Picture got. still more fun to mock a dull town.
    Hey, I didn't say that Didcot wasn't a dull town, and well worth mocking! Though I also remember those cooling towers: I always used to wake up on the train just as I was passing them. Not normal, that...
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14294
    tFB Trader
    just baffles me as to what the research criteria can call normal - for something to be normal then something else has to be not normal - so for now what is not a normal town and what will I find there ? - Toon town - some weird alien characters - mud hut style shopping centres and wacky natives with multiple body piercings and wear string vests 

I still think such surveys are totally stupid and pointless - There was a recent one about which country was the most racists - Another one was which country has the happiest people and granted Syria is not going rank to clearly in this - How the hell can you 'accurately' obtain an opinion on some of these factors - Certain points are clearly measurable - others aren't - I don't read them as I think they are pointless, but you do see them listed as headlines
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom