The guitar rant thread

What's Hot

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    people who, in band practices, insist on noodling away in between songs when you're trying to talk about stuff.
    That is spot on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Lev said:
    People posting on classified sites 'Fender Squier' stratocaster. All your searches for Fenders include boatloads of Squiers.

Truss Rod nuts being made from softer metal than the allen keys that turn them.  

1) But it says "From Fender" (or something like that) on the headstock, so it must be true!

2) Allen Keys should always be of a harder material than the bolt they are moving. The truss rod just needs to be less shit.

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    SNAKEBITE said:
    Lev said:
    People posting on classified sites 'Fender Squier' stratocaster. All your searches for Fenders include boatloads of Squiers.

Truss Rod nuts being made from softer metal than the allen keys that turn them.  

1) But it says "From Fender" (or something like that) on the headstock, so it must be true!

2) Allen Keys should always be of a harder material than the bolt they are moving. The truss rod just needs to be less shit.

I'd go for pedantic twats on guitar related forums.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited May 2017
    Tuning and intonation on pretty much every guitar ever.

Straight frets are an intonation compromise and picking makes attack go sharp and decay will drop in pitch, the harder you pick the more extreme this is.

There's basically no way to use the full dynamic range of a guitar without the tuning being compromised at some point (except for with an evertune bridge in theory).

The problem is if you get a true temperament guitar with an evertune then everyone in the band needs one. At least with things as they are traditionally you're generally equally out with each other, so sound in. 
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    i hate the fact i can spend ages reading this nonsense (entertaining) and then complain i dont have enough time to practise  and improve my guitar skills
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    i hate the fact i can spend ages reading this nonsense (entertaining) and then complain i dont have enough time to practise  and improve my guitar skills

Ouch, that hurt. (I have to admit you're right though.)
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    Guitar shop staff who suggest there's "literally no difference" between what they have and what you want despite there being "literally loads of differences". 

I'm extremely jealous of bands made up of Youtubers who can tour Europe and the US without having to play shit pubs on the way up.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I'm well known for having a very easy going, tolerant nature and a relaxed attitude to guitars and life in general but when I hear people refer to their guitars as 'she' or 'her' I turn into a slathering demented beast.
    And I don't like guitar players who wear shiny suits on stage (or anywhere, come to that).
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    And on that bombshell ... I'd best be off to molest my LP .. or should that be my Strat? ... LP? .. no, strat? ... hang it, the LP is already out ready to rock .. 
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    Relics.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2429
    fftc said:
    Relics.
    No need to get personal ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4670
    Relics as well
    the fact that a guitar the has been pre fucked by a factory is worth shitloads but one that has been actually played somehow the value is less. makes no sense whatsoever 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3243
    i hate when you do a gig and someone comes up looks at your amp guitar pedals shakes his head and walks away!.
    Someone took a vid of mine the other week...waited until we were off stage, mind!

Obviously planning some private head-shaking later on ;)
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9715
    i hate when you do a gig and someone comes up looks at your amp guitar pedals shakes his head and walks away!.
    Someone took a vid of mine the other week...waited until we were off stage, mind!

Or a burglary once they've been on ebay to see Sold Item prices
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Vintage radius Fenders and fretting out, and Fender keep making them by the hundred thousands anyway.

I'll add, people who don't know how to set up a vintage radius Fender guitar to stop it fretting out. ;-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    Ebay listings for cases that say double-stitched, or double straps.

In case you can't guess I'm looking for a cheap double gigbag for my electrics - I have nearly given up and lost the will to buy shit I don't really need here.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290

That vid's already gone viral.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Actually that reminds me of a Roy Harper gig someone dragged me to in the 80s. Last song before the interval had so many effects sounds, about three or four of us had to go up to the stage to work out what the hell his pedals were.  What a racket!

(Anyway sorry for the diversion.)

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    'Boutique' guitar 'builders' who buy in every last part but make out that they have sprinkled some magic over the guitar and created something much better than anyone else can...then ask £3000+ for a Strat! Worse still are those who then RELIC the thing like a dogs chewed it. 
    (There are some great builders like Joseph Kaye and Marc Rutters who literally build the guitar from the ground up). 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Relic'd guitars for me too. What is the point!