Check out my shitty solo

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696

My solo to Ghost by Ella Henderson 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Are you expecting agreement with your self-assessment, gushing compliments or something in between?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Constructive critism:) 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6110
    edited October 2017
    Honestly... It was a bit frantic and the timing was pretty off. You've certainly got some skills especially with the legato stuff but you need to concentrate on quality not quantity if you know what I mean. 

Just saying..  3
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited October 2017
    You've got skill and a very rapid legato technique.
    I found it too intense overall for the backing. For this particular track, it's quite 'square 1/16 note'y', especially in the latter part and perhaps the phrasing/rhythm could be varied to allow it to flow and breathe more, with more of a nod to the rhythm/groove of the backing.

Being ultra picky, there's a bit that sounds slightly odd around 16s. But kudos for sticking your neck out and posting. You're obviously a very good player with good technique. It's easy being an armchair critic and I'm sure I'd get lots of criticism if I invited comment on doing something similar.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thank you guys. I'll do the down play now and say it was done quickly using my phone, not really warmed up etc etc. But I do need to work on my timing. As for frantic, I've been following Andy Timmons course on truefire and hes given some great ideas about chord tones etc which Ive got a basic idea worked out for so I may re-record this and make it less frantic.  Is it the legato that makes it frantic or the number of runs?
  • vizviz Frets: 10692
    edited October 2017
    I thought it was excellently played! I'd just say that as the clip is so obviously within your comfort zone it comes across as a bit 'safe'. I'd like to hear you stretch and express yourself a bit more, playing at the edge of disaster, so to speak. That would give it even more life and excitement. I actually didn't think it was too quick and the timing was basically fine, so I think you have the capacity to push yourself without it becoming chaotic, and I'm not necessarily talking about playing faster - more about moving outside your familiar boxes and rhythms. 

I haven't heard the original song - are you copying the solo note for note? If I had a comment on the composition it would be that it's a tad episodic, like a series of short well-rehearsed sequences put together - so it slightly lacks movement or progression. It's not an f# minor static chord throughout, there's quite a lot of harmonic interest underneath, so you have plenty of opportunity to write something that takes the listener through the harmonies from start to finish in one fell swoop. Rhythmically too you can try breaking away from the disciplined semiquaver approach to make the most of the chord progressions and rhythms, to accentuate the flow of the harmony.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    There's no solo in the original song, I've added one as it goes down well in the set and it extends peoples dancing time. Chords are just D, A, F# and E on repeat which I don't think o take advantage of. The chord tones stuff im picking up on after the Andy T course would be my next move but they do go by really quickly so will be fun trying to work that out.  Semi quavers are my comfort zone... I need to stop them!!

Thanks for the advice though, I appreciate it all

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6110
    You've got skill and a very rapid legato technique.
    I found it too intense overall for the backing. For this particular track, it's quite 'square 1/16 note'y', especially in the latter part and perhaps the phrasing/rhythm could be varied to allow it to flow and breathe more, with more of a nod to the rhythm/groove of the backing.

Being ultra picky, there's a bit that sounds slightly odd around 16s. But kudos for sticking your neck out and posting. You're obviously a very good player with good technique. It's easy being an armchair critic and I'm sure I'd get lots of criticism if I invited comment on doing something similar.
    Yeah, I agree with @stratman3142, kudos for posting up on here. It takes courage to invite criticism. 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    @Jetfire thanks for sharing, it takes guts to put your playing out there. I don't do it enough but it's a really good leveller when I do. 

What exactly is it you're looking for critique wise? Knowing that will help give you direction and focus your work. 

Is this improv or a composed solo? I'm guessing improv and that's where you're looking for advice?

In any case, I'd think about your phrasing. It tends to lurch from one unrelated phrase to the next. So think about the narrative of the solo. 

To help this, think about all the great pop guitar solos (Lukather etc) and compose some of your own. Imagine you're doing a session for the artist in question. Start with just a 4 bar solo and try and make it the perfect melodic pop guitar solo. Then extend it to an 8 bar solo, 16 bar and so on.

To help with the melodic aspect, maybe start with the actual vocal melody and then sing something yourself, really trying to match your playing with it (don't sing what you play!) That will help timing issues too. 

Doing the above really helped me become more melodic with my improv which is something I'm constantly striving for, sometimes working, sometimes failing haha it's a constant struggle!

And absolutely no 16ths for the time being! :wink: 

You've got great chops, and there are flickers of really nice lines so try and inhabit a different headspace for a bit and see where it takes you. 

Keeps us updated :smile: 
  • I'd like to be able to play like that.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I liked it.
    @Brad thanks Dude, the solo is actually worked out and I've been playing for a little while now. Some of it is a bit of a show off of  my legato technique and where the timing does go arwy, its just nerves about recording it and showing people. 

I've got the melody worked out now and some of the chordal tone stuff so I can work on that. :) 
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    Jetfire said:
    @Brad thanks Dude, the solo is actually worked out and I've been playing for a little while now. Some of it is a bit of a show off of  my legato technique and where the timing does go arwy, its just nerves about recording it and showing people. 

I've got the melody worked out now and some of the chordal tone stuff so I can work on that. :) 
    Nerves eh, we all get em! I find when I'm nervous (or I'm not happy with my playing) I tend play more notes... which makes things worse :cry: These days I try and make a point of playing less during those periods.

But as this is a composed solo perhaps try out that approach while being a little more selective with where you show off your legato technique? It may give your flashy passages more impact when you do them?

All in my opinion of course. :smile: 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited October 2017
    At the OP's request, I've uploaded a solo I wrote over the same song.

It has a lot of what are becoming stock licks for me, but I'm quite pleased with how it all fitted together. One thing I did a fair bit is mirror the vocal melody, either in exact notes or rhythmic ideas - this is an easy way of making a solo really sound like it belongs there.

As far as critique for the OP's own solo - the technique is all there and sounds good, and although timing was brought up I don't think that's a major worry. I would, however, work on the pitching and smoothness of the vibrato/bending a little bit, and in terms of phrasing, something that might immediately make it fit better would be ending phrases on A, rather than F# - think of it as A major pentatonic rather than F# minor pentatonic. Same notes, I know, but it does make a difference. Also, kudos for putting your playing out there, I wish more people on here would!

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thank you, I'm totally re doing my solo now lol 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    Jetfire said:
    Constructive critism:) 
    I liked the legato..sounds good ..it seems as though the solo has been constructed out of sections or ideas fitted together which is ok for learning the new ideas but dosnt really take the solo anywhere musically ....also the ideas would work better finishing on a better note ...they don't seem to finish on strong notes ... some nice playing though...  :)
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    It's a bit pentatonic shape based but pretty good I thought 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    edited October 2017
    Bucket said:
    At the OP's request, I've uploaded a solo I wrote over the same song.

It has a lot of what are becoming stock licks for me, but I'm quite pleased with how it all fitted together. One thing I did a fair bit is mirror the vocal melody, either in exact notes or rhythmic ideas - this is an easy way of making a solo really sound like it belongs there.

As far as critique for the OP's own solo - the technique is all there and sounds good, and although timing was brought up I don't think that's a major worry. I would, however, work on the pitching and smoothness of the vibrato/bending a little bit, and in terms of phrasing, something that might immediately make it fit better would be ending phrases on A, rather than F# - think of it as A major pentatonic rather than F# minor pentatonic. Same notes, I know, but it does make a difference. Also, kudos for putting your playing out there, I wish more people on here would!

Very nice solo! Is that improv or did you write it/worked it out?

Jetfire said:

My solo to Ghost by Ella Henderson 
    Good technique! Nice phrases. Can come across like little exercises when there are a number of flashy ascending and descending patterns. I would definitely throw one in there near the end of the solo but maybe think more melody to start the solo off and build up to the end? I think Andy Timmons talks about that in those vids. Great work though! Its a great way to get some good feedback. Constructive. If everyone started uploading what they are working on we would all benefit from this  
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    The cab behind you makes all the difference
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    For me it seemed too rigid and on the 16 notes all the time - needs some notes held, more bends and not so much up and down the scale - you either start high and climb down or you start low and climb up.
    @Bucket does a solo which sounds written and has structure and fits the feel of the song - also moves around the fretboard and has some good timing - but hey it's nice playing by both of you :) 
    I posted one recently that I wrote to play on Left Outside Alone and it's one of the highlights of our set :) So the band say - not me - I'm just doing my job haha 
    No need to make excuses about not being warmed up etc..it's a bad habit us musicians have - post and be confident! You are a good player and we can all nitpick other people's work but it's good to get constructive feedback.