Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Suggestions for a new cordless power Screwdriver/Drill

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4980
This question crops up every now and then.  I have a Makita screwdriver/drill but the batteries are all but gone dead.  New batteries cost much the same as a new machine [which includes two batteries] so what is the forum wisdom on replacement screwdriver/drill?

A new Makita is one option but the probability of the second battery fitting my old Makita is almost zero.  DeWalt is the default choice of the TV builder type guys.  This may be because DeWalt often sponsor such programs.

I need something that is strong, reliable and does not eat batteries.  Suggestions please....
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• This is the one recommended to me by a few people as good value for money. Seems decent to me but I’ve not used it for anything heavy duty really

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb-18-2-li-plus-18v-4-0ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/7434k
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    I've got a Milwaukee M18BPD for work. Not the cheapest, but a brilliant bit of kit. 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    edited November 2017
    18v Dewalt here, along with a 10.8v drill and a 10.8v impact driver. Not found anything the big drill won't go through and the batteries last well. The chargers are universal too which helps. 

Not much between it and the blue Bosch stuff I imagine. 

Here's the 18v effort:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcd776s2t-gb-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/2710p
  • Hitachi. Cheaper than De Walt and Makita for the same quality as far as I can see. Plus register them for 5 yr warranty I think. I got the 18V triple hammer impact driver and drill as a set (without the latest fast-charger) and 2 x 3.5mAH batteries and must have driven several thousand 150mm deck fasteners and they are still like new. Amazing torque as well; reversing out 200mm rusted screws in the old decking as well. Great kit. Just get a few good quality type 2 bits as I did go through those.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    This Bosch Pro driver also works as a drill and is amazingly powerful. I love it a great bit of kit and batteries (comes with two) last forever.

https://shop.bosch-professional.com/gb/en/product/cordless-screwdriver-gsr-12v-20-hx--100040725
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    On all the construction sites I visit on only ever see Bosch.

Hmmm....
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12363
    My stepson has just got a Bosch drill driver with two LiOn batteries for around £70 from Amazon. It seemed to work very well but it's a lot lighter than my DeWalt. Whether that means it's got a thinner casing or plastic gears rather than metal I'm not sure. Maybe they make different quality ones? but I'm not convinced this particular one will take much abuse, it's probably ok for light home use though. I've had my DeWalt for four years and it's still going strong, still on the original LiOn batteries too. Cost me a bit over £100 from Screwfix. 
  • I've had an Hitachi for the last 4 years. 

It hasn't seen a lot of work but has flew through anything that I've needed it for. Drilling through brick on a hammer setting and blasting in screws is no issue whatsoever.

I paid about £90 from screwfix and got two batteries and  a brilliant torch! 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Is this for some DIY or do you need professional reliability on a daily basis?

The big brands cost because they have good gears etc. Watch some yootoob vids for a selection of shootouts.

OR

I recently blew £34.99 on a 2 battery pack cordless 18v drill from Aldi. It's a backup/second device to my Makita (I can set one as a drill and one as a driver to save time) but I'm heavy DIY not professional. Had it less than a month, but so far (it's published specs are very similar) it has matched performance of the Makita that cost three times that much 5 years ago in the sales.

So it might be an option for some users, I'd like the 'comfort' of a big brand tool for pro work, but this Aldi unit is slightly smaller and lighter, only has a fabric tool bag but two batteries and a small charger.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-18v-li-ion-cordless-drill/p/079027166616800

• SporkySporky Frets: 28172
    What I like about Bosch pro stuff (the blue ones) is that there are only a couple of battery families, and any given voltage battery will fit any tool of that voltage (and the old 10.8v and new 12v are interchangeable/actually the same).

So I have a big 18v multi-head drill driver and 18v cordless angle grinder, and then a 10.8v drill driver and (soon) the multi-head 12v driver which will take the batteries from the 10.8.

Also the batteries seem to last and last without any babying.

I wouldn't base things too much on what you see on building sites - I've seen Makita, Dewalt, Hilti, Milwaukee, Hitachi, Bosch Pro, and more. Even Festool on well-controlled sites once the builders are gone. It's more about going one step up from what B&Q and Homebase sell, at which point you're into tools that will handle trade use.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Bosch Pro. Not the Bosch normal (green ones) the blue ones. Really really impressed by them. Or Makita LXT, as the batteries are better and will be around far longer if you need replacements. Slowly switching over to Bosch from Makita.

Most builders will be brand loyal, generally  because of batteries. So I wouldn't see too much into what brand they have

Or just get Hilti if you want to show off to a local builder for whatever reason
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    I am not a pro and don't work on sites any more.  Yet I want a power driver/drill that will work when I need it.  Could be tomorrow, could be Christmas.  With the Makita I have, I usually needed both batteries available when I went to do something.  So I expect that a new power tool will have a better - longer lasting -  battery than one six or seven years old.  I will be in Dublin sometime in the next week or two and will look in McQuillans at Hitachi and DeWalt.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    Just received this today.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L3XK06C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Tried it out drilling some wiring channels in an alder body and it is plenty powerful. Well worth the money.

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    I just picked up 2 items to cover these needs...

Titan 18v cordless drill with 2 batteries & case from Screwfix £55

I have 3 Titan tools out of Screwfix and all been bloody good to date

Bosch IXO 5 cordless screwdriver with the attachments set

Both very good pcs of kit. Watch some of the cordless drills....they only have 10mm chucks & I want up to 13mm and very nearly ordered a Bosch with a 10mm chuck in error...so check the specs carefully 

Satisfy my DIY needs...obviously if you are using them all day every day then you gonna be looking at more professional equipment
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12363
    bazxkr said:
    I just picked up 2 items to cover these needs...

Titan 18v cordless drill with 2 batteries & case from Screwfix £55

I have 3 Titan tools out of Screwfix and all been bloody good to date

Bosch IXO 5 cordless screwdriver with the attachments set

Both very good pcs of kit. Watch some of the cordless drills....they only have 10mm chucks & I want up to 13mm and very nearly ordered a Bosch with a 10mm chuck in error...so check the specs carefully 

Satisfy my DIY needs...obviously if you are using them all day every day then you gonna be looking at more professional equipment
    I've never had much luck with Titan stuff.   I had a 1/3 sheet sander that lasted a couple of hours before it literally shook itself to bits. At least Screwfix are great about replacing things under warranty. I go for their Erbauer branded tools now, the quality is much better but it's still a fair bit cheaper than the big brands. 
  • I am a fan of the Ryobi One+ system and have pretty much the whole kit, it has helped me be a decent DIYer..

forget the 1.5-2.5Mah batteries tho, the 4.0-5.0Mah ones are well worth the investment... I with a fully charged 4.0Mah used the circular and jig saws to lay a large laminate floor and then the circular saw and drill/driver built a large chicken coop
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Replacement batteries for my Makita are "hard to get" as they are the old style which was changed to a flatter battery five or six years ago.

That was the good news.

I looked at both Hitachi and DeWalt driver/drills. Both looked to be fine tools, solid and well built. Both balanced very well in the hand. Either would be a good buy, spare batteries available and in stock in the shop. The Hitachi sold for €269, the DeWalt for €239 with the 5 amp battery. Pushing a little, the Hitachi could be sold for €239, no scope for price reduction on the DeWalt. The assistant showed me a Dreaper equivalent at a third of the price but it looked it's price and felt awkward in the hand.

Thinking now that I might wait 'till after Christmas - there might be price reductions early in the New Year.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    I just bought this which I thought was a good price, they're doing extra batteries for £25 also

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FYU4E7Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• stevebsteveb Frets: 42
    Cant you get copy batteries?? Ive just got 2x 4amp copy batteries for makita lxt off ebay for under £40. Im a plumber and use them everyday. They seem fine.