My Indie built for NAMM 2010 - so it was actually true!

What's Hot
Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
edited January 2018 in Guitar
Well, as they say in Yorkshire, 'I'll go to our house!'

I have to take you back to 2010, in the then (UK before it went bust) Indie showroom in, I think, Wiltshire?  Anyway, I was there to have a look at a damaged Les Paul I saw them advertise.

It was still very expensive even though it was damaged but looked stunning.  Completely over the top but stunning.  This is it nowadays with even more expensive stuff inside it, but you see what I mean:

Well the tale the Indie man told me was, 'It was one of two demonstrators custom-made for the Namm show - this was the one with 'the works'.  But it was put down heavily on its strap button which cracked the paintwork so we had to make do with the other one.'

Oh yes - that old chestnut, I thought (and I'm sure you are thinking too).

Anyway, it was so ridiculously out of my playing genre - I was closer to Kum-By-Ya than Metallica - that of course I had to have it

And, other than my hand arthritis now getting me to consider selling it, it's been a frequent go back to ever since.  It was easily fixed ref the drop damage and after that I added PRS pickups and a Graphtech Floyd Rose with a built in Acousto-phonic.  Basically, well good enough to pile major more spend into it.

I then in subsequent years started to see more examples of the OTT inlay, and occasionally a similar top style and assumed - well, yes, it probably was salesman's blarney - but who cares.

Anyway, I'm starting to bite the bullet and let go of some of my favourites because I have far too many and there are more and more that I can't comfortably play.

So, if I did sell this, would I pass on the same old blarney?

So I googled Namm 2010 Indie.  And got this!:

(the YouTube clip is here)

It's Andy Wood (Rascal Flatts, etc, etc) playing my beautiful guitar's decent but plain sister.  And, with his style, you can see why Indie wanted the tattoo version

As I say right at the beginning - I'll go to our house!

And yes, when I sell it, I will pass on the old blarney with absolutely clear conscience!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    Cool story bro.

(Not being sarcastic btw!)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Cool story bro.

(Not being sarcastic btw!)
    lol  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The YouTube clip link was for some reason not working so I've just added it as a link in the original post :)
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Oxfordshire rather than Wiltshire I think (I own several Indie's).
    Chalky said:
    Oxfordshire rather than Wiltshire I think (I own several Indie's).
    Ah....that sounds right.  All I remember is that it was in the middle of nowhere! :)
  • I have five indies in total, every one a lovely guitar. The LP is a one of four prototype of a finish (white pearloid) which never went into production. Very glam! A great guitar, but bloody heavy!
     I also have a one-off prototype jumbo acoustic which I bought from Indie directly.
     Despite the crap name, I thought they did great guitars for the money, especially the acoustics and they were great to deal with.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    edited January 2018
    I have five indies in total, every one a lovely guitar. The LP is a one of four prototype of a finish (white pearloid) which never went into production. Very glam! A great guitar, but bloody heavy!
     I also have a one-off prototype jumbo acoustic which I bought from Indie directly.
     Despite the crap name, I thought they did great guitars for the money, especially the acoustics and they were great to deal with.
    Yes - I think all we Indie owners start our descriptions with, 'Ignore the name...but they're really good gui......' 

This one was/is also heavy - still 10 1/2 lbs after I cut a HUGE chamber into the back of it.  But it's pure class in so many other ways.  Putting the Graphtech Floyd on it was expensive but took into another league.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1268
    I have five indies in total, every one a lovely guitar. The LP is a one of four prototype of a finish (white pearloid) which never went into production. Very glam! A great guitar, but bloody heavy!
    Mine’s a regular IPR hollow body. To this day I have no idea how they managed to produce an instrument of that quality for the RRP, never mind what I actually paid for it...

A mate of mine became a bit obsessed with them and at one point seemed to have been on a personal quest to own an example of every model. He’s got a couple of very highly specified “custom shop specials” including an absolutely magnificent black V with active electronics, elaborate (and *very* well executed) inlays, and a Floyd Rose trem which I suspect may have been a sister guitar to @Andyjr1515’s NAMM special, I covet that guitar deeply...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11892
    I've got two Indies!

The Union Jack Les Paul in my pic <<<

And a Blue Super-T Telecaster type thingy, this is it before it's recent clean up and re-string...

https://s26.postimg.org/6li15mcy1/20180120_132722.jpg
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27692
     my hand arthritis

:(
    Sorry to hear that.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2406
    Your Yorkshire saying is lost on this Lancastrian :)
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2108
    I’ve got just the one Indie - a ‘Shape’ I think the model is and it’s a great guitar. It really was a crappy name for a guitar co though.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    My best Indie guitar (when I said several I meant at least 10) is a unique hollowbody with a floating pickup, built as a one-off for some obscure reason.  It has a straight wooden bridge but intonates perfectly and plays beautifully. And it cost me £100.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChairsChairs Frets: 52
    edited May 2018
    I’m retroactively amending all my comments for privacy’s sake. I know they’re cached in places, but this is still a best attempts effort. Mods - if any rules have been broken, please revert this post.
    I've been around since MusicRadar as Schpudd. Current feedback here. Or eBay feedback on request.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    Numerous times, I’ve been tempted to purchase an Indie, but the hideous name/logo has always put me off - it’s in the same league as JHS’s ubiquitous Vintage.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782

Here's mine, and I'm keeping it! =)

http://i.imgur.com/B910ZL8.jpg

• Maynehead said:

Here's mine, and I'm keeping it! =)

http://i.imgur.com/B910ZL8.jpg

Beautiful!  :)

Anyway - I've finally bitten the bullet and put mine into the classifieds.  If it doesn't sell I'll just hang it on the wall and gaze lovingly at it.  But I'd rather someone got it to do what it is supposed to do...play!