BEWARE Spider Cases review - Flightcase Warehouse - Nitro damage

What's Hot
nibsnibs Frets: 15
edited March 2018 in Guitar
Hi - so recently I checked on one of my guitars been sitting in hardcase for a few months - took her out and noticed the nitrocellulose finish on an area of the neck had blistered / melted /reacted with something (see photos) and noticed where the neck was resting on the case compartment tab handle was the area damaged - same place shape etc.

Anyone any ideas?

Could this be a reaction to the tab handle material?

Here's the photos

https://ibb.co/fEHXb6
https://ibb.co/ipO5w6
https://ibb.co/d1oG3m
https://ibb.co/bBKpOm
https://ibb.co/bLo5w6

The case was from Flightcase Warehouse - Spider cases

NB. this is a Gibson satin finish also.

Cheers for any advice..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7111
    edited January 2018
    yeah, it looks like either a reaction to the tab material if it´s plastic,
    or if the tab´s leather then it´s got some die on it which has reacted with the nitro

Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326

That is definitely the tab. Can it be polished out?

A long time back (late 90s?) I ordered a new natural Jazz from Fender. No nitro. The case had a strap that held the top to the bottom at the body end of the case, and despite the Jazz only being glossed, it had not cured/dried properly, and it arrived with a big section of rough finish where that strap has sat on it. Luckily it was new and I sent it back.

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Other than its ability to mark your guitar that is one lovely case!
  • nibsnibs Frets: 15
    Yes its just such a shame that "Flightcase Warehouse" have replied with this:

"Hi,
    Having looked at the photos requested, I can clearly see there is an issue, however I cannot see how the tab would have caused the damage as there is no residue on the tab, which there would be if it had caused the varnish to melt.
    We have sold 100’s of this model case over the last 5 years with no issues, so I am afraid we cannot help in this matter and there must be another reason for the issue.
    Best regards"

Oh dear what to do now mmm?....
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5433
    nibs said:

"Hi,
    Having looked at the photos requested, I can clearly see there is an issue, however I cannot see how the tab would have caused the damage as there is no residue on the tab, which there would be if it had caused the varnish to melt.
    We have sold 100’s of this model case over the last 5 years with no issues, so I am afraid we cannot help in this matter and there must be another reason for the issue.
    Best regards"

Hate to suggest it but I would try to prove it is the issue, which means inflicting a little more damage. Then you've got a trading standards case at least... and if it does rule it out, at least you know. You'll be wanting to get a repair anyway... at this point it's a question of who is paying for it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6088
    nibs said:

"Hi,
    Best regards"
    Awfully convenient assumption on their part.
    Whitecat said:
    nibs said:

"Hi,
    Best regards"

Hate to suggest it but I would try to prove it is the issue, which means inflicting a little more damage. Then you've got a trading standards case at least... and if it does rule it out, at least you know. You'll be wanting to get a repair anyway... at this point it's a question of who is paying for it.
    ...yes I agree - considering Flightcase Warehouse are in the business of protecting musical equipment - a very ignorant comment as guitars are finished in nitrocellulose or laquer not varnish!!

I am just really upset that my guitar is damaged and want a resolve with Flightcase Warehouse - the photos clearly show the damage too...
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7042
    tFB Trader

That is definitely the tab. Can it be polished out?

Yes, definitely caused by the tab, absolutely no doubt.

It's pretty much destroyed the lacquer where it touched so no chance it would polish out and it needs patching/overspray which would likely leave a scar or preferably the whole neck stripped and refinished.

The moral of the tale is don't buy a cheap case.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Have you pointed out to them that it’s the same shape and appears to have some of the same faux grain effect as the tab. I won’t be buying anything from them going by that shitty response 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11605
    tFB Trader
    Am I alone in not being able to see the images on this thread???

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Raise it as a complant and if they don't do anything, go on Facebook/Twitter and point this thread out.
  • Am I alone in not being able to see the images on this thread???
    I was just about to say the same thing.  

Can you please reupload @nibs?  imgur.com is good.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Am I alone in not being able to see the images on this thread???
    Nope
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

Here's the photo links again - just 'photobucket' wanting money for 3rd party images.

Here you go:

https://ibb.co/fEHXb6
    https://ibb.co/ipO5w6
    https://ibb.co/d1oG3m
    https://ibb.co/bBKpOm
    https://ibb.co/bLo5w6

Let me know what you think..

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Bang to rights, mate. Flightcase Shitehouse, are having a laugh!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2018
    Hi yes Flightcase Warehouse - are offering no help over this at all.

LATEST UPDATE from the Director at Flightcase Warehouse:

"Hi,
    I have had enquires today asking the question: Are these cases and all their components safe and compatible for nitrocellulose finished Gibson guitars?
    I have never been asked this question and is obviously from the forum thread that you started and sent me.
    If I was to answer the question my answer would be ‘ I do not know. It is a £** guitar case and we have sold 100’s with no issues. Obviously on cheaper guitar cases you get cheaper materials. My opinion would be you make the choice.
    I feel the only way forward is to refund you for the case, which I am happy to do.
    I will not cover the repair of the guitar.
    I will only cover the case cost."

So that's the customer service from Flightcase Warehouse...

The guitar case is clearly advertised as a Les Paul hardcase but is made from materials that directly damage the finish of a Gibson Les Paul.

I have contacted some top luthiers as suggested here by other members regarding repair costs and sent photos of damage and have contacted GIbson direct also - Flightcase Warehouse should wake up realise the problem is their hardcase that has caused the damage to my guitar and get this matter resolved.

very stressful...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5433
    edited February 2018
  • Whitecat said:
    Exactly this. It's not fit for purpose and you have consequential losses. 

I did the same with a dash cam that apparently had voltage protection. Out didn't kick in when my battery went low as the car was parked up and consequently killed the battery causing it to need replacement. Cab helped me word my complaint and on the end the retailer ended up paying for my new battery plus labour, refunding me the fitting cost and the price of the camera. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6088
    nibs said:
    Hi yes Flightcase Warehouse - are offering no help over this at all.

LATEST UPDATE from the Director at Flightcase Warehouse:

"Hi,
    I have had enquires today asking the question: Are these cases and all their components safe and compatible for nitrocellulose finished Gibson guitars?
    I have never been asked this question and is obviously from the forum thread that you started and sent me.
    If I was to answer the question my answer would be ‘ I do not know. It is a £** guitar case and we have sold 100’s with no issues. Obviously on cheaper guitar cases you get cheaper materials. My opinion would be you make the choice.
    I feel the only way forward is to refund you for the case, which I am happy to do.
    I will not cover the repair of the guitar.
    I will only cover the case cost."

So that's the customer service from Flightcase Warehouse...

The guitar case is clearly advertised as a Les Paul hardcase but is made from materials that directly damage the finish of a Gibson Les Paul.

I have contacted some top luthiers as suggested here by other members regarding repair costs and sent photos of damage and have contacted GIbson direct also - Flightcase Warehouse should wake up realise the problem is their hardcase that has caused the damage to my guitar and get this matter resolved.

very stressful...
    I have some sympathy for the Director in this case. It is a cheap case, you bought it knowing that and then stored it, unused for some months, you don't state how long exactly. You could look at this as 'archival storage' which should require the use of top quality materials. As he states "Obviously on cheaper guitar cases you get cheaper materials". This is a fair comment and 99% of purchasers are probably going to use the case for protection while out and about. Knowing it was a cheap case you could at least have checked on it reguarly. Just looking at the situation from the other side of the fence...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2018
    No sympathy for the director here- he cares nothing about the damage to my guitar - most people I know who play store their guitars in a hardcase and I check my guitars for setup / tuning every few months or so - I have a small collection and usually play SG for 6 months or so and swap over to LP so no archival storage here just in hardcase until I change over to keep them safe - the fact that the director refused to pay for return cost and doubted the case tab causing the reaction to the finish - when it is obvious from photos - also the hard case is supposed to protect the guitar not damage it...