9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3653
    tony99 said:
    OP's taking a stand, you have to admire that in this day and age

I hope it's a nitro safe stand.  ;)
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7141
    Haha He’s not Mahatma Gandhi 
    Hahaha that bald-headed nappy wearer wishes he could shred like our OP !!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3653
    What is your ideal outcome from this OP?
    This is the only time he's posted here so it's clear that this thread was designed purely as leverage to show to FW rather than to get actual opinions (thread already sent to them if you see their email response). How much money he wants is the unknown. 
    Exactly.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited February 2018
    I can understand that the OP is upset, but surely the main issue here is that 'nitro', as a protective guitar finish, just isn't fit for purpose, and without pressure from traditionalists its use would have been abandoned a long time ago for something more robust and practical.

This damage is pretty unsightly, but then again so again are all the other variations of nitro damage that one sees, from the finish picking up colour through to it crazing and cracking or even falling off in flakes. Of course, in the crazy logic of the guitar world much of this damage is viewed as actually been desirable or perhaps, as someone put it in this thread, 'kind of cute in a Gibsonny way'!

I know that if a nitro-finished guitar ever came into my possession I would never store it on or in anything that I hadn't received 100% assurance was safe for nitro finishes.

People often complain about Gibson's often shoddy build quality and quality control, but to my mind they should be equally aggrieved about all the design faults that have persisted to this day, from the easy-snap headstock design through to the poor string angles between the nut and tuners - and the continued use of damage-susceptible finishes is just another 'feature' to add to the list.

To be fair what drives me even more nuts is the way those who build 'LP style' guitars insist on faithfully copying all the 'traditional' failings of Gibson's designs. If only a company like FGN or Tokai would build a top-quality  'LP style' guitar with improved neck strength, straight-pull tuners, better ergonomics and so on.

I can't think of another area where 'tradition' has such a sway over reason. For example, I can't imagine that car manufacturers today, if they were trying to sell a vehicle that harked back to look of all those pretty Italian sports cars of the 60's and 70's, would find that such cars could only be sold if, in the name on originality, they also continued to rot before your eyes and had electrics that regularly went up in smoke!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72744
    ^ Exactly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• You can say all you want about nitro finishes, there's a good number of us who don't want guitars finished with anything else.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72744
    You can say all you want about nitro finishes, there's a good number of us who don't want guitars finished with anything else.
    But presumably you understand that you need to be careful what you put them in contact with.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31726
    Your guitar's fine, it's just suffering from chronic neglect, like a horse rotting in a stable. 

The cure is to play the damn thing once in a while. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • nibsnibs Frets: 15
    edited February 2018
    Yeah - I do play my guitars - I've got 6 Gibsons - been palying for 30 years - can't play them all at once.. I take very good care of them - keep them in cases that protect them - check on them - set up - tune etc - it's just this rubbish case from Flightcase Warehouse ruined my guitars finish and didn't protect it...

I was sold a case recommended for 'Gibson Guitars'  http://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk/industry/index.asp?section=gibson-guitar-cases-3959    ALL Gibson guitars have nitro finish....  I mean come on ...my guitars been damaged...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    edited February 2018
    I understand your frustrations.

Regardless of how well known the vagaries of Gibson’s nitro finish is - it’s only well known if you’ve read about it on the net or in a book etc.

This case ‘shouldn’t’ have damaged the guitar but things have conspired against you in this instance. Not least leaving it in the case for so long...

I think you are pissing in the wind in terms of a better response fron FW and the time and energy you are spending on this isn’t worth it. You are just winding yourself up...

Take the refund, get the repair done with the cash and buy a better case.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4763
    edited February 2018
    nibs said:
    Yeah - I do play my guitars - I've got 6 Gibsons - been palying for 30 years - can't play them all at once.. I take very good care of them - keep them in cases that protect them - check on them - set up - tune etc - it's just this rubbish case from Flightcase Warehouse ruined my guitars finish and didn't protect it...

I was sold a case recommended for 'Gibson Guitars'  http://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk/industry/index.asp?section=gibson-guitar-cases-3959    ALL Gibson guitars have nitro finish....  I mean come on ...my guitars been damaged...
    OK, that ad specifically said it was a case for a Gibson Les Paul so if that's the case you bought AND you can prove (via independent chemical test evidence) it was the case that caused the damage, then you have a strong argument for damages. Further, once it has been proved FW will need to consider either repositioning its marketing & show it may not be suitable for a real Gibson Les Paul or other nitro-cellulose guitar, or they will have to withdraw the line and replace it with a nitro safe case. It's argument re they've sold hundreds with no problem will no longer have validity - once even one damaged guitar has been proved, they then have a much greater duty of care. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So much nonsense in this thread.

Did Flightcase Warehouse specifically state in the advert that particular finishes or storage options were not appropriate for this case? 

If they did not, and the OP chose to store any guitar that fit in it that got damaged because of the case itself, then they are responsible.

What part of that doesn't make sense? 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4763
    edited February 2018
    clarkefan said:
    So much nonsense in this thread.

Did Flightcase Warehouse specifically state in the advert that particular finishes or storage options were not appropriate for this case? 

If they did not, and the OP chose to store any guitar that fit in it that got damaged because of the case itself, then they are responsible.

If the ad referred to 'Les Paul' shaped guitars, FW are in a less exposed position.  But the moment the ad refers specifically to this being a GIBSON Les Paul case rather than just for 'Les Paul shaped' guitars, FW are in a much tougher spot because all Gibson Les Paul's are nitro-cellulose and the Gibson name linkage automatically implies that these guitars are safe for a Gibson Les Paul.

Having said that, the OP must still prove (via bona-fide independent chemical evidence) that it was the case that damaged his guitar. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31726
    clarkefan said:
    So much nonsense in this thread.

You are absolutely correct, the goods weren't fit for purpose and the OP has every right to be aggrieved, especially given the snarky attitude from the company involved. 

That's not in dispute, in fact they're offering him a refund. 

What is in dispute is how much sleep it's worth losing over a small, buffable blemish on the back of a cheap guitar. Is it worth a court case? Seriously? Or just a bit of wet and dry and a free guitar case. 

Sometimes it's just better for your mental health to move on, rather than fight every tiny grievance.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • nibsnibs Frets: 15
    BEWARE Flightcase Warehouse Spider cases review

Hi, Just thought I'd share my bad experience with Flightcase Warehouse - Spider Cases.

I purchased a Hardcase for my Gibson Les Paul from FlightCase Warehouse and the tab (fake leather) on the case inner compartment has caused a reaction to the nitrocellulose finish on my Guitar neck - basically leached a chemical in the tab and melted an area where it was in contact with the guitars neck.

I contacted the company director who refused to aknowledge any problem caused by his case and basically told me to pay for it to be sent in and tested by their 'tech team' - I asked if they would pay for the return cost but they point-blank refused to.

I spoke direct to Gibson Repair and sent them in the photos and here's their response:

Hi,
    I think you’re right. I think the damage was caused by the handle on the case pocket. Pretty poor case design! If you make guitar cases you ought to make them out of materials that won’t harm guitar finishes! I would estimate $450 to $600 to repair the damage and I can’t promise the repair won’t be invisible as it’s very difficult to match the surrounding when you have to fill an unfinished ‘hole’ in the middle of the neck. Also difficult because the chemical reaction that occurs leaches The only other option would be to totally refinish the neck and that would be close to twice the expense. If I were you, I’d get in touch with the manufacturer of the case. They should know better and very well may know but count on people not realizing the cause of the problem. I’ve seen this happen with stand manufacturers too and I’ve seen them pony up to pay for the damages, which of course is the right thing to do. Feel free to use this email to provide a potential cost and if they agree to pay I’ll provide a detailed – to the penny quote once we have the guitar in hand.

Thank you,
    Gibson Repair & Restoration

I also spoke to many guitar luthiers who agreed that the Flightcase Warehouse Spider case inner tab had caused the damage.

I sent all info over to the company director and again he basically refused any problem was his and that it was the guitars finish that was to blame.

Basically flightcase warehouse refuse to accept any problem and will only look at the case If I pay for return postage which they stated they would not refund and could take a few weeks to inspect.

So in the end I have a badly damaged guitar finish caused directly by the case from flightcase warehouse and they continue to sell their cases as 'Gibson' suitable guitar cases when they are clearly not - BEWARE!

nibs
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited March 2018
    You already posted about this a month or so ago didn’t you? Let it go mate 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    Sounds like a case for trading standards or consumer affairs and a stern letter mentioning small claims court.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    The Online Dispute Resolution (ODR) helpline, hosted by CTSI, provides assistance to consumers who wish to use the ODR platform to resolve complaints about online purchases. The helpline can be contacted by phone on 03456 089579, or by email at odr@tsi.org.uk. Telephone lines are open from Monday to Friday 09:00am to 5:00pm (closed bank and public holidays). More information is available on its website, https://www.odrcontactpoint.uk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8813
    Right.

I normally avoid these threads but this one - if it’s the one I’ve read about before - seems pretty clear.

@nibs there’s a decent summery of the law here: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Pay particular attention to the fitness for purpose bit.

See if you can get a written statement from one or preferably more of the people who’ve examined it and concluded that the tab caused the damage.

Then write a ‘letter of claim’ to the supplier explaining precisely why you are entitled to hold them liable to repair the damage. Identify the cost and give them a reasonable time to consider and respond - 21 or 28 days would seem sensible.

If they continue to refuse to play ball, go here and follow the instructions:  https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom