Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Help !!! Car accident and dont know what to do

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2608
in Off Topic tFB Trader

Hello...  I don't usually post this sort of thing but I feel in a panic and right now literally have no one else to ask.

I was just involved in a car accident where someone has driven in to me...  She pulled over at first and was blaming me (it really was her fault) then I went to my car to get some paper to write details down and I turned around to see she had driven off??  (fucking bitch (sorry im really upset right now)....

So I now don't know what I should do..  I know it will be another case of if theres no evidence or witnesses that it will just be 50/50 cos she drove in to the side of me (if someone drives in to the back of you theres no argument)...

So what do I do???  Just leave it???  just telling the insurance company will mean they will want to write my car off as its 15 years old now. but I don't want to be accused of anything if it is her plan to blame me and say I drove off or something...

Its so shit..  But my main issue is the insurance companies.. The last accident I had years ago they did nothing and it only cost me money and I cant seem them doing anything else in this situation, but I cant afford to have my car written off I need it.  ARRRGGG whats the sodding point of insurance its such a fucking rip off...

Sorry for the rant..  Any advice will be appreciated.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Did you get the car make and registration?
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader
    Did you get the car make and registration?

Yep...
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Police. Now. 

Offence to drive away from the scene of an accident without exchanging details.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 25reaction image Wisdom
  • Rabs said:

Yep...
    Call the police and report her for driving away from the scene of an accident -stay put until they arrive if you are still there. If nothing else you then have the necessary incident number for your insurers. Also, as she hasn’t stuck around it won’t do anything to aid her defence. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Rabs said:

Yep...
    Log everything you can remember. Road, time, weather conditions, how many people in her car, anything that comes to mind write it down.

You probably wont want to hear this but here goes.
    Same thing happened to me in a works van, guy drove into me and drove off (no insurance is my guess) got his car make etc and work reported it to the police. You can guess what happened. Nothing

How much damage is there?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 335
    hywelg said:
    Police. Now. 

Deffo this.
    I love my brick
    tFB Trader

Yeah I called the police line and they said I have to go to my local station..  And no I chased after her when I saw her driving off so I could get her reg number.

I think im gonna go and report it.  But is there any real point.  I just spoke to them again and they said its only needed for insurance.. I don't think they care about her driving off..  And there will need to be proof.. All she has to do is say no it wasn't me its a mistake and what else they gonna do??

Im so sick of this.. Its the second time its happened over the last few months.  My poor car... And I haven't had any accidents in like a decade. I know it wasn't my fault..

Im so pissed off...

• Stavros said:
    hywelg said:
    Police. Now. 

Deffo this.
    Im not saying dont do it but my previous experience told me the police really arent bothered about minor traffic incidents. If you have her Reg you can check if the cars insured here

http://www.askmid.com/

• You can also check if it taxed here

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

If its not you can report it here

https://forms.dft.gov.uk/report-an-untaxed-vehicle/

Hardly justice but I dont mind vengeance as a substitute

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Sorry to hear you have been involved in an accident. To be honest it sounds as if she did not have insurance (or some other reason why she should not have been driving.....). If it was me I would report it just in case. Last thing you want is for her to be insured and she reports it but you don't (if that makes sense?). 

Was there any damage to her car that could link your report to her vehicle (if she is located and denies It?).

Hope you get it sorted.
    tFB Trader
    Rabs said:

Yep...
    Log everything you can remember. Road, time, weather conditions, how many people in her car, anything that comes to mind write it down.

You probably wont want to hear this but here goes.
    Same thing happened to me in a works van, guy drove into me and drove off (no insurance is my guess) got his car make etc and work reported it to the police. You can guess what happened. Nothing

Yeah I hear that which is why im wondering if theres any point at all..
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Rabs said:

Hello...  I don't usually post this sort of thing but I feel in a panic and right now literally have no one else to ask.

I was just involved in a car accident where someone has driven in to me...  She pulled over at first and was blaming me (it really was her fault) then I went to my car to get some paper to write details down and I turned around to see she had driven off??  (fucking bitch (sorry im really upset right now)....

So I now don't know what I should do..  I know it will be another case of if theres no evidence or witnesses that it will just be 50/50 cos she drove in to the side of me (if someone drives in to the back of you theres no argument)...

So what do I do???  Just leave it???  just telling the insurance company will mean they will want to write my car off as its 15 years old now. but I don't want to be accused of anything if it is her plan to blame me and say I drove off or something...

Its so shit..  But my main issue is the insurance companies.. The last accident I had years ago they did nothing and it only cost me money and I cant seem them doing anything else in this situation, but I cant afford to have my car written off I need it.  ARRRGGG whats the sodding point of insurance its such a fucking rip off...

50/50 isn't a given. An old lady drove into me when I was stationary yet Direct Line apportioned me the blame (both insured by them). I was moving from L3 to L2 but had to stop for a stalled car, ten seconds later Doris drives without stopping from slip road to L2 and into my car. I told the truth that I was changing lanes but had stopped, she lied and said she was in L2 the entire time- she fucking wasn't but no cctv or witnesses so as I had admitted to changing lanes despite being stationary I carried the can. As the legal costs would vastly exceed my excess there was no point taking this to court.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Garthy said:
    Rabs said:

50/50 isn't a given. An old lady drove into me when I was stationary yet Direct Line apportioned me the blame (both insured by them). I was moving from L3 to L2 but had to stop for a stalled car, ten seconds later Doris drives without stopping from slip road to L2 and into my car. I told the truth that I was changing lanes but had stopped, she lied and said she was in L2 the entire time- she fucking wasn't but no cctv or witnesses so as I had admitted to changing lanes despite being stationary I carried the can. As the legal costs would vastly exceed my excess there was no point taking this to court.

Again.. this is why im wondering if theres any point at all in reporting it.. Im certainly not getting the insurance involved but even though I doubt anything will happen I think it best to report it to the police.  They may investigate , the woman I spoke too said it will be passed to the traffic police.

Its so shit isn't it. Insurance is nothing but a rip off. Not that that's news to anyone.. But fuck its upsetting when this sort of thing happens.

And actually I had an old lady drive in to me in a car park too not so long ago, and someone a month or so before that who tried to over take me, failed and then drove in to the side of my car so he didn't hit on coming traffic.. He also drove off...

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Having been in the same boat twice within the last year (greater london eh), heres what I was told. 

Although its not right to not exchange details at the scene, the only law is that if details for whatever reason arent exchanged, then you MUST notify the police within 24 hours. 

As long as you do that its all legal. 

Is there any point I hear you ask? 

Yep! Heres why. 

If she then fucks off to her insurance with your reg, or goes to the police, and they discover you failed to follow the law by notifying the police because no insurance details were exchanged, its then you in the shit too, regardless of whos fault it actually was. 

As far as I’ve read, any witness is also required to stop. Which they never do around here no matter how serious the accident. But who knows if someone did actually clock your reg or notifies the police without ever having spoken to you.. police will then check to see if you correctly notified them. 

All you’ll get is a report back from the police saying they have looked into it and cannot take any further action. 

But atleast you’ve covered yourself against the at fault party. 

The first one I did was in person at a station. The second one I did was online, on the metropolitan police website. But obviously it will be whatever force your area is covered by. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I've suffered my car being damaged whilst parked by a hit-and-run driver so I can sympathise with you. As others have said, report it to the police and get them to log it and, if possible, to give you a reference number. You should also report it to your insurance company, regardless of whether you are making a claim - they should also be able to tell you if she is insured. They should note her details, and if she doesn't notify her insurer of the collision (if she has one), she would be guilty of non disclosure if she is involved in a future claim. You should be able to get her address from DVLA under the circumstances. Sorry that you have to go through so much hassle as a result of people not abiding by the law and not having a sense of decency. Perhaps she was drunk or simply too scared to stop, neither of which are valid excuses in my view.
    tFB Trader
    skunkwerx said:
    Having been in the same boat twice within the last year (greater london eh), heres what I was told. 

Although its not right to not exchange details at the scene, the only law is that if details for whatever reason arent exchanged, then you MUST notify the police within 24 hours. 

As long as you do that its all legal. 

Is there any point I hear you ask? 

Yep! Heres why. 

If she then fucks off to her insurance with your reg, or goes to the police, and they discover you failed to follow the law by notifying the police because no insurance details were exchanged, its then you in the shit too, regardless of whos fault it actually was. 

As far as I’ve read, any witness is also required to stop. Which they never do around here no matter how serious the accident. But who knows if someone did actually clock your reg or notifies the police without ever having spoken to you.. police will then check to see if you correctly notified them. 

All you’ll get is a report back from the police saying they have looked into it and cannot take any further action. 

But atleast you’ve covered yourself against the at fault party. 

The first one I did was in person at a station. The second one I did was online, on the metropolitan police website. But obviously it will be whatever force your area is covered by. 

Yeah this is what I thought too, but the way she drove off I doubt she will be doing that... I don't think she took my reg down unless she memorised it..   I will do it online a bit later when I have calmed down.  Cheers for the advice fellers,  im calming down a little now its helping me confirm what my own brain is too panicy too at the moment.
    edited February 2018 tFB Trader
    CarpeDiem said:
    I've suffered my car being damaged whilst parked by a hit-and-run driver so I can sympathise with you. As others have said, report it to the police and get them to log it and, if possible, to give you a reference number. You should also report it to your insurance company, regardless of whether you are making a claim - they should also be able to tell you if she is insured. They should note her details, and if she doesn't notify her insurer of the collision (if she has one), she would be guilty of non disclosure if she is involved in a future claim. You should be able to get her address from DVLA under the circumstances. Sorry that you have to go through so much hassle as a result of people not abiding by the law and not having a sense of decency. Perhaps she was drunk or simply too scared to stop, neither of which are valid excuses in my view.

Yeah theres a problem with that though..

The last time this happened and I did inform the insurance company they told me that even if I don't make a claim my insurance WILL go up just for being involved in an accident regardless of whos fault it is... So why should I bother telling them anything when all they will do is use it as an excuse to charge me more money even if im the one whos been wronged. if I report it to the police at least im then legally covered and  they wont charge me for the privilege (I don't think).

tFB Trader
    Ohh and yes, in case its not obvious this IS greater London we are talking about (North East)
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    edited February 2018
    Rabs said:

Yeah I called the police line and they said I have to go to my local station..  And no I chased after her when I saw her driving off so I could get her reg number.

I think im gonna go and report it.  But is there any real point.  I just spoke to them again and they said its only needed for insurance.. I don't think they care about her driving off..  And there will need to be proof.. All she has to do is say no it wasn't me its a mistake and what else they gonna do??

Im so sick of this.. Its the second time its happened over the last few months.  My poor car... And I haven't had any accidents in like a decade. I know it wasn't my fault..

Im so pissed off...

I had a woman crash into me with the kids in the back, she pulled over, but then drove off. I had the plate anyway, but found her parked nearby, drove up near the car, but she drove off again.
    I went via insurance, and she said it was my fault (she drove across solid white lines through a "hatched lines" area to bail out of a queue on the roundabout she had already exited, so as to rejoin the roundabout which I was going round).

I complained to the police, they did not prosecute her, but she immediately admitted liability to the insurance company

So I'd say report it  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Sounds like you need one of these:

Image result for dodgem cars
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom