Wanted: the definitive way of fixing Les Paul tuning issues

What's Hot
Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3487
edited February 2018 in Making & Modding
Let’s try and leave snarky comments at the door, I know the ultimate cure is not to buy one! ;-)

We are where we are and I love my Gibson, but don’t love the tuning instability. 

So, in an effort to document some potential best practices from the experts on here, like @FelineGuitars and @ICBM, and others, I’m really hoping to get a go-to guide going to help myself and others, if you would be so kind as to share your advice?

Apologies if this has been done before, but I’m really struggling and need to find out some ways of fixing the issues with the G string, mainly.

many thanks
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 29008
    Tuning issues are normally nut-related.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • As a bit of background, I have just installed some Gotoh Magnum locking tuners and they’re great but the odd G string slip still happens. I’ve used nut sauce and that doesn’t fix it either. I’ve got a Les Paul standard with a regular bridge and tail piece.

• Sporky said:
    Yeah that’s what I’m thinking. As a beginner to guitar DIY, I’m wondering what I can do, in the context of Les Paul nuts, to fix it?

• 1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7965
    edited February 2018
    Sporky said:
    Yeah that’s what I’m thinking. As a beginner to guitar DIY, I’m wondering what I can do, in the context of Les Paul nuts, to fix it?

Lithium grease, one tub will last years and years if you’re only doing your own guitars. This is of course assuming the nut is cut correctly, which has to be step 1.
  • The slots are probably not cut wide enough, it’s a very common problem. I keep a set of welding nozzle cleaning files (about £4 on eBay) to just widen all nut slots just a fraction. 

Then use nut sauce for extra lubrication if needed, but it rarely is.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5006
    There has to be somebody in these parts of the world who will fit the Buzz Feiten Tuning System on your guitar.  Get it done and your tuning issues are no more.  Before you do spend what it takes for the job, play a Tom Anderson and find out what the BFTS brings to your playing.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72923

We are where we are and I love my Gibson, but don’t love the tuning instability. 

So, in an effort to document some potential best practices from the experts on here, like @FelineGuitars and @ICBM, and others, I’m really hoping to get a go-to guide going to help myself and others, if you would be so kind as to share your advice?

Apologies if this has been done before, but I’m really struggling and need to find out some ways of fixing the issues with the G string, mainly.
    Cutting the nut groove correctly - wide enough, smoothly rounded on the bottom, flared at the headstock side and polished - and lubed is about the best you can do. Locking machineheads *may* help slightly by absolutely minimising the string wind on the post, but you can achieve more or less exactly the same by lock-wrapping the string as short as possible.

At the end of the day that wide headstock is just not ideal for minimising string friction on the G and D strings.

Rocker said:
    There has to be somebody in these parts of the world who will fit the Buzz Feiten Tuning System on your guitar.  Get it done and your tuning issues are no more.  Before you do spend what it takes for the job, play a Tom Anderson and find out what the BFTS brings to your playing.
    The Buzz Feiten tuning system is a set of intonation changes which makes the guitar *play* more (or less, depending on your viewpoint) in tune - it has no bearing on whether the guitar *stays* in tune, which is to do with the string sticking at the nut or bridge saddle, or slipping on the machinehead post... or very rarely a faulty machinehead.

Personally I'm not a fan - the forward compensated nut position is correct (PRS and others also use it) but the intonation offsets make some chords in some positions sound worse, so I prefer to simply set them up the same way as normal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14718
    ICBM said:
    The Buzz Feiten tuning system ... I'm not a fan
    The idea is fine but the bogus mystique is unnecessary and, for the amount of work entailed, the price is excessive. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I’ve got an Epiphone LP Standard - which is 99% the same as a Gibson in terms of design. Tuning instability was driving me up the bloody wall - so much so that I was seriously considering getting rid of the bloody thing. So, about 2 weeks ago I went mad rubbing pencil graphite in the nut as a stage one attack. Presto! haven’t had to do anything else. It’s worked a treat. Also, with Gibson style guitars I find really, really pre-stretching the strings helps enormously.
  • The nuclear option is evertune.  It depends what you want out of an instrument.  Personally I have quite wide vibrato and do a lot of bending, I like to vibrato chords/powerchords, plus I like to play quite hard, and I tune low... evertune suits me very well.  I'm in two minds about getting one for my Les Paul, or just selling the thing and getting an ESP with one already on - preferably the EII Eclipse, but it's out of my price range for now.

Anyway, here's Andy James shredding on an LP type with an evertune.

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3487
    edited February 2018
    As much as it's the nuclear option, it's appealing isn't it...despite it being really ugly! Evertune is made for that headstock's imperfections isn't it!

Thanks for all your thoughts. everyone. I need to practice cutting a few nuts...I can tell mine isn't up to scratch based on the reading and research I've done tonight...needs work, for sure.

Also need to find myself some good tools.

This advice seems good, is it? http://www.lutherie.net/nuts.html

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Thanks for all your thoughts. everyone. I need to practice cutting a few nuts...I can tell mine isn't up to scratch based on the reading and research I've done tonight...needs work, for sure.
    Couldn't your local guitar tech sort it out?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4211
    Apart from making sure that the nut slot is wide enough, check that the backward angle of the slot is cut correctly. The intonation is set on the leading edge of the slot, if it’s horizontal and not cut deeper at the back, you will have intonation issues as well as tuning ones,  After making sure that the basics are right a Les Paul is one of the most stable guitars out there for tuning
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm no expert but the main 2 problems with a LP to my mind are the scale length and the angle of the G and D from the nut to peg.
    Scale length will always mean intonation is a compromise, which is worse than a Fender/PRS scale length
    And that G nut to peg angle will always be prone to pinching at the nut
    None of that stops it from being a great guitar though

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72923
    edited February 2018
    adampeter said:

Scale length will always mean intonation is a compromise, which is worse than a Fender/PRS scale length
    That’s total nonsense.

I’d be interested to know the logic behind that...

As long as all the frets are correctly spaced then any scale length can be intonated accurately.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3487
    edited February 2018
    Yeah, I've never had problems intonating correctly with that scale length. Or any other.

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7965
    edited February 2018
    Well, there’s a point in there that intonation is not static. It’s also affected by finger pressure/technique, and picking strength. Both of those things affect dynamically. This can often be heard if you pass the same properly tuned guitar between a good player and a beginner player - it’s likely the better player will intonation it better.

In standard tuning there’s not really any noticeable difference between Gibson and Fender scale lengths in use that I’ve noticed.

Personally I found in drop B that my Les Paul was appreciably worse for playing intonation than my Fender and even PRS guitars. It just goes sharp more easily, even with thick strings. This is due to tension more so than an inherent intonation issue with the scale. You can of course play it in tune, just with a lesser dynamic range. 
  • Anyone got any good examples of what the nut should look like? Mine is really flat at the top. (Jesus, looking it at this angle, makes me furious that Gibson doesn't do anything about that angle, it's pointless!).

@AlexC your Epiphone won't have the same severe headstock angle (I think it's shallower), and shouldn't have such severe issues as this one.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16894
    Look at the dark line above the G string.  Notice it almost disappears on the headstock edge of the nut.  Flare out the slot a bit in that location.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom