Yamaha THR discovery

DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
edited March 2018 in Amps
So I've had my Yamaha THR10 for over 5 years now and been really happy with it, but tonight I did some new things with it and it's been great!
I keep meaning to hook it up to my laptop and try the editing software out so that's what I did. I've been using the factory presets all these years but the editor is very tweakable and comes with loads of new presets to get going. Adding rack compressor makes a difference but the biggest bonus to my ears was being able to change the cabs. The default for the MODERN setting is an American 4x12 which is nice and heavy but has a bit of fizz to it. Tell you what, changing it to the British 2x12 gives it a lot more punch! I like the 1x12 too and also quite enjoyed the more nasal 4x10 option.

And then I thought "why don't I see how it works with Reaper" and so I tried that as well. It is recognised straight away and records superbly, with no lag as far as I could tell. The thing that surprised me was when I went to play back the recording it came through the THR and not the laptop speakers and it sounded fantastic. Maybe that's what normally happens with DAWs but I'm still a relative novice when it comes to PC recording. I have to say, compared to the last time I tried recording to PC (nightmare) this has been a total breeze and could not have been easier. I might be converted! 

If you have a THR and haven't connected it to a computer yet then I suggest you do.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27482
    DiscoStu said:
    So I've had my Yamaha THR10 for over 5 years now and been really happy with it, but tonight I did some new things with it and it's been great!
    I keep meaning to hook it up to my laptop and try the editing software out so that's what I did.
    You waited until now to use the software editor???

That's the difference between an OK home amp and an incredibly good home amp.
    ;)

DiscoStu said:

And then I thought "why don't I see how it works with Reaper" and so I tried that as well. 
    Oh.

Now, there's a thought I hadn't thunked.

Brilliant idea - that's my task for the morrow.
     :+1: 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    edited March 2018
    What can I say? I've been more than happy with it 'straight out the box' so it hasn't been top of my list of things to do! Better late than never though.

As a recording interface it seems ideal to me. I tried my acoustic plugged in to the THR too and it records easily. With the FLAT channel I reckon you could do vocals as well.
  • I have a few presets that are identical but for the speaker. Switching them switches just the speaker.
  • AndyRAndyR Frets: 158
    Can't believe it's the first time you tried it! It makes a HUGE amount of difference to what you can get out of it.

That compressor can get you more gain easily, use it like a clean boost with no compression (I have a THR10C and that sometimes comes in useful for me on the british amp). And you're SO right about the speaker cabinet choices. I don't like the default reverb settings too much either! The reverbs in there are actually pretty good when you start messing with them.

I use mine as my laptop speakers most of the time. My wife does too on her laptop if I'm not using it. I recommend you turn the "wide stereo" thing off when listening to music, not all stereo mixes are "enhanced" by this lol

When I was using it for recording, I used the line out instead (I record on a standalone Boss recorder), got some good results with that. But I've got a THR100HD now, so that's what I use in the "studio" room, the THR10C is pretty much our dear friend in the living room.