Whatever happened to the Katanas? *edit* now NAD

What's Hot

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I joined the katana club last week.  We’ve got a baby due in 4 weeks and I don’t think a hot rod deville and 18 watt Marshall are going to go down well when it’s trying to sleep.  

Im frankly amazed at how good they sound compared to the competition.  I genuinely thought people were exaggerating but I was pleased to see they weren’t.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    I had a go through a Katana Artist over the weekend - some impressive noises coming out of it - not sure what or how is different with the Artist outside of the Waza speaker, but it sounded great.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    I still use mine daily, I did think it was sounding thin but have it set up now to exactly how I like it.

Brilliant value for money.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4135

Well I should have a KTN-100 on Friday now!

I sold my Cornell Romany recently as I haven't been playing much for the past 6 months or so but it's still been weird being amp-les and I'm itching to get it plugged in and start playing again. :)

• midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    had mine over a year now, gig 2-3 times a month with it. still love it.
  • OwainOwain Frets: 13
    edited June 2018
    I haven’t been able to find a thread that explains why they seemingly lost favour, so bear with me please.

I’m interested in the KTN-50 as a simple home practice amp, so I suspect it’ll be perfectly good enough anyway, but what was it that stopped them being flavour of the week here?
    No idea. I'm interested in the Katana mini, would suit my purposes and isn't too expensive, but with the additional cost of the AC adapter plug thing. Gets a bit much, sadly. Would prefer if that was included.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965

Well I should have a KTN-100 on Friday now!

I sold my Cornell Romany recently as I haven't been playing much for the past 6 months or so but it's still been weird being amp-les and I'm itching to get it plugged in and start playing again. :)

There's a very active and friendly boss katana group on Facebook that's very useful for helping you get set up. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    My k-50 is the only amp I have! Granted I’m a home player only atm but it does me. I’d 100% buy another if it were nicked. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...

My KTN-100 arrived safe & sound on Friday, I've only had an hour or two with it so far but it's as impressive as it was in the shop! I'm not sure it's had the v2 firmware update just yet, but I'll sort that out as soon as I find the cable. :)

I'll need to grab a GA-FC pedal too soon, though it's a shame they didn't implement MIDI on the 100w combo as well as the head, as I'd have likely held out and tried to use it with a Helix LT/HX for a simpler rig!

• GassageGassage Frets: 30916
    I really like them but I found them slightly directional...like the speaker has a very narrow focus of where it sends its sound, if that makes sense. Other than that, stunning , but the Roland JC from the same stable is better, if more money 

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663

I'm not sure it's had the v2 firmware update just yet, but I'll sort that out as soon as I find the cable. :)

My understanding is that if it has the V2 firmware then it should have Version 2 printed on the box.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited June 2018
    HAL9000 said:

I'm not sure it's had the v2 firmware update just yet, but I'll sort that out as soon as I find the cable.

My understanding is that if it has the V2 firmware then it should have Version 2 printed on the box.
    I bought mine new and it had version 2 printed on the box.  It’s the first piece of musical equipment I’ve bought new since 2007. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    You can just try it, to see if you have the other four patches available. I can't remember the exact procedure, but you just hold down one of the buttons to access the other four, and they are signified by a flashing LED on that patch. 
    That’s what I thought - th box is labelled v2, but the amp doesn’t seem to let me switch from bank A to B. I’ve scored a cable from my office though so will give it a try this eve. 

Also, I presume I’m right in thinking there’s no difference between the operation of the Roland or Boss versions of the GA-FC, other than the order of the buttons?
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited June 2018
    p90fool said:
    You can just try it, to see if you have the other four patches available. I can't remember the exact procedure, but you just hold down one of the buttons to access the other four, and they are signified by a flashing LED on that patch. 

^ Pretty much this. First you need to press one of the [channel] buttons so that it is illuminated. Then hold down the [panel] button for a few seconds. Once it starts flashing then it’s on Bank B.

(If you press the [panel] button without one of the [channel] buttons selected then it has no effect.)
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    Also, I presume I’m right in thinking there’s no difference between the operation of the Roland or Boss versions of the GA-FC, other than the order of the buttons?
    You should have a set of sticker overlays in the amp box. That's the only difference.

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Is there a footswitch I can use with the Katana 50 that will select the different gain channels and also turn the reverb on and off please? I've done a bit of searching but not really come up with anything helpful.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    zepp76 said:
    Is there a footswitch I can use with the Katana 50 that will select the different gain channels and also turn the reverb on and off please? I've done a bit of searching but not really come up with anything helpful.
    Bright Onion is the best 50 pedal. 

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    zepp76 said:
    Bright Onion is the best 50 pedal. 
    Thank you I'll give that a look.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.