Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Catalinbread vs former employees

What's Hot
JotaJota Frets: 465
edited October 2018 in FX
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Yes. This looks like it is going to be very ugly. I am mildly amused by the Defendants renaming their Slack Channel (whatever that is) to Catalindead. Would be interested to see the Defendants' defence.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Branshen said:
    Yes. This looks like it is going to be very ugly. I am mildly amused by the Defendants renaming their Slack Channel (whatever that is) to Catalindead. Would be interested to see the Defendants' defence.
    Slack is a business-centric forum style app. Very very similar to Discord if you've ever used that.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14466
    I can already hear the prices for used Catalinbread pedals going up.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I'm on Slack, can I get a free pedal or what? :)
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    I like that they have to explain what breadboards are.
  • What a bunch of idiots. How did they think they were going to get away with that?
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I like that they have to explain what breadboards are.
    But not 'Secret Sauce'
    It is pretty stupid though. The correct course of action would have been to resign first I guess, to establish a competing brand, but perhaps there was a moratorium clause in their contracts or something.
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1681
    edited October 2018
    Maybe the defendants could develop a new Roto pedal powered by Nicholas Harris spinning in his grave.
    6reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It is pretty stupid though. The correct course of action would have been to resign first I guess, to establish a competing brand, but perhaps there was a moratorium clause in their contracts or something.
    Yeah, most employment contracts prevent you from stealing anything of value and burning the rest upon resigning from a company.
    It is pretty stupid though. The correct course of action would have been to resign first I guess, to establish a competing brand, but perhaps there was a moratorium clause in their contracts or something.
    Yeah, most employment contracts prevent you from stealing anything of value and burning the rest upon resigning from a company.
    :) I was thinking more along the lines of them not being allowed to set up a competing brand within 6 months or a year of leaving.
  • It is pretty stupid though. The correct course of action would have been to resign first I guess, to establish a competing brand, but perhaps there was a moratorium clause in their contracts or something.
    :) I was thinking more along the lines of them not being allowed to set up a competing brand within 6 months or a year of leaving.
    I don't think that was the sticking point; they didn't want to just start up a competitor. They originally wanted the original Catalinbread company on the cheap, then when that didn't happen, they wanted to start a rival but without paying or working for it, using CB's assets and designs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Yes, understood that. What I mean is that the correct course of action would have been to resign, wait, and then start a new company, but what to do for six months or a year?
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    They said they went to NAMM working for the new company when they were actually there promoting two new pedals for Catalinbread!
    One of them was a big project that I don't belive they would let Catalinbread take if they were really planning on moving...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steersteer Frets: 1192
    Devious behavior at the best of times, but even worse considering the fact that the founder of the company died only shortly before this all started. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    steer said:
    Devious behavior at the best of times, but even worse considering the fact that the founder of the company died only shortly before this all started. 
    Aye, morally it makes me very uncomfortable. Some people just don't care though, do they...which is a shame. 
  • I wouldn't read that document as anywhere near true tale events. I would imagine the Plaintiff's lawyers will have done whatever they can to cast the defendants in a very bad light, and gain favour/sympathy for the Plaintiff.

Two sides and all that...

It's all quite sad really. The whole thing has become a shit show.

It was Catalinbread's enthusiasm and early innovative designs (e.g the all JFET DLS MKI) that first got me into pedals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • From everything I've read online about Catalinbread before and after the founder died I find it hard to believe that its the former employees who are in the wrong. Nic's mother inherited Catalinbread basically by default and appears to have made an absolute arse of the whole thing.

The legalese that's been released so far is always going to make one party look awful, its kind of the point. I'll wait and see what the defense is before I get my pitchfork out.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    All rather sad as much as I am not a pedal guy at all I have liked a lot of the things they have made. 

When I read this stuff I always think what managed to get these people to the sort of point where they want to kill Catalinbread that's not just greed there would seem to have been a number of things or changes that his mum made to disgruntle what seemed to be a very talented team in her newly found role as CEO. 

Probably introduced a dress code and asked Howard to cut his hair. 

I am sure the lawyers will part them all from their cash and they will reach a settlement. 

the only winners here will be the lawyers. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28415

the only winners here will be the lawyers. 

I'm not sure that's quite true.

There are plenty of people who enjoy an opportunity to up their blood pressure getting outraged over one side of a story that doesn't actually affect them. They'll win big on this one.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom