Entry Level Bass Question (Now NBD thread!)

What's Hot
DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3822
edited November 2018 in Bass
So I'm thinking of dabbling with the darkside and getting myself a cheap bass to play around with. I've always enjoyed playing other people's basses when I've had the chance. It'll be just for messing about with in the house, not planning on gigging or anything like that.

So I've been having a nosey on Facebook/Fleabay/Gumptree the past few days and there are plenty of Squiers and the like that fit under my proposed budget. I'm thinking max £200 but ideally closer to £150 if possible.

My local guitar tech has a couple of Squiers for sale within budget - one quite recent one and one from 1997 MiK. Am I right in thinking a similar received wisdom applies to basses as with guitars, in that 90s MiK models are potentially a better built instrument than the more recent ones? I had a MiK Epiphone semi once, and a Tyler Variax and both were excellent guitars.

He also has an Aria STB model available (looks like a fender knock-off) - I have no knowledge of Aria guitars or basses. Anyone know if they're any good? Similar level to the likes of Squiers?

Someone near me is also selling an Epiphone Thunderbird for a similar price range. I'm quite tempted by the idea of it but don't know whether I would find it horrendously cumbersome to play due to the wacky shape! 

Any thoughts on the models I've mentioned, or any other suggestions I should be looking out for?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited November 2018
    I dabbled in the late 90s, borrowed a mate's Squier bass. But because I was a metalhead, wanted a black Aria bass with pointy headstock and maple neck.

Tried a few Arias but, didn't likethem. Instead bought a (new) Squier P-Bass special like my mate's at Music Live in 1999. Still got it and glad I bought it.

Edit:. mine's 'Crafted in Indonesia'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I wouldn't get too hung up on the year, some of the more recent Squier Vintage Modified instruments are pretty good.

I think the best thing to do is work out which type of bass you'd like, then look for a cheaper version of that in budget.  Most of the classic designs have budget equivalents and in a lot of cases they're quite decent these days.

There's a big difference in sound between a P bass, Jazz bass, and something with humbuckers like a Thunderbird.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    The name Aria has appeared on bass guitars of all qualities - from world class to cheap 'n' cheerful. The STB Series is more towards the cheap end. Competent but unexciting.

The MIK Squier basses also vary in quality, especially in the quality of the body wood. If the forearm or beergut contours are sprayed over with opaque finish, the wood beneath is probably ply. 

The standard Epiphone Thunderbird of old has a screwed-on neck. Thus, it has the looks of the Gibson original but not necessarily the sound. Some examples have pickup cavities measuring 3.5 x 1.5 inches, making them ideal for upgrading with active pickups.

It is not possible to comment on the "recent" Squier bass mentioned above without knowing the exact model, price and whether it is new or pre-owned. In my opinion, £150-200 is too much for a Bronco Bass, about right for a tidy Affinity P or J Bass and an absolute bargain for any Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe series instrument.

Other options to consider, Overwater/Tanglewood Aspiration Standard. Epiphone Toby, Cort Action, Ibanez SB and SBX, Yamaha RBX.

I used to like to recommend the (long discontinued) Yamaha Attitude Plus but they rarely seem to come up nowadays.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Thanks for the input everyone.

I think I'm swaying toward more of a Jazz bass kinda thing - thinner neck and more versatile pickup options than the Precision style bass are what appeals. I think I'll just have to compare head to head the different cheap Jazzers my local guy has available and see what takes my fancy. 

This thread may end up turning into a NBD thread! =)
    I'm swaying toward more of a Jazz bass kinda thing - thinner neck and more versatile pickup options than the Precision style bass are what appeals.
    TBH, with a passive J type bass, I tend to dial up a sound with a slight midrange notch and leave it that way. All tonal variation is then achieved according to where the strings are played with the picking hand. In this respect, a budget P Bass can be just as sonically versatile as a J.

By the sound of it, for you, the neck dimensions are the critical feature. Some versions of the Precision Bass are available with the narrower neck profile like a Jazz Bass. For instance, the Korean Squier and the Aria STB mentioned in your OP.

• By the sound of it, for you, the neck dimensions are the critical feature. Some versions of the Precision Bass are available with the narrower neck profile like a Jazz Bass. For instance, the Korean Squier and the Aria STB mentioned in your OP.
    The neck thing is more of a presumption based on the fact that I'm a short arse with cocktail sausages for fingers, so just kinda assumed that skinnier would be better! Generally prefer slim-to-medium sized necks on guitars, never been able to get away with baseball bat type necks. I imagine I'll be the same way inclined with bass.
  • Squier used plywood bodies for their MIK guitars in the early 90s. That's not to say they're bad instruments but I don't think the reasoning often applied to Epiphones automatically applies here. I had a really nice Squier standard Jazz (I think it was '96, as it had some kind of anniversary sticker on the back of the headstock) which I shouldn't have sold (the MIM that replaced wasn't really as good).

I now have a Classic Vibe Jazz which is pretty good, and superb for the £200 I paid for it. I picked that because I saw the bass player of Madness play one on Later... You see both the CV and the VM basses used by pro players more often than you'd expect. The new price has risen by £100 since then, so maybe you'd struggle to get a CV for £200.

I picked the Jazz because I play at home, by myself so the pickup options and narrower neck appeals to a guitar player. The received wisdom though is that a P-bass sits better in a live or recorded mix.

• just made the same leap fella... got me an Ibanez sr300eb in weathered black.. love it...

you could consider the Jackson Minion basses?

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• Thanks for the input everyone, but it has now very quickly become a New Bass Day! 

Stopped by my local tech's 2nd hand store for a nosey and walked out with this 1997 Made in Korea Jazz Squier Jazz bass. A few dings here and there but nothing massive, and has just been set up and had new wiring, frets polished and levelled etc. Plays nicely from what I can tell.

https://imgur.com/gallery/FmxyuCv

http://imgur.com/gallery/SvCJKlj

And the best bit? Only cost £90!! :open_mouth: 

Couldn't say no for that price!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Yep - that will do the job ;)
  • Yep - that will do the job ;)
    Hope so. 

Now for the next question - how do I grow longer fingers?  :s
    Hope so. 

You don’t need longer fingers, you just need to dislocate each joint :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep - that will do the job ;)
    Hope so. 

Ahh, gotcha! BRB...
    Hope so. 

Ahh, gotcha! BRB...
    NB - don’t try it at home :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    1997 Made in Korea Jazz Squier Jazz bass.Only cost £90!! Couldn't say no for that price!
    that will do the job ;)
    Now, with the money that you have "saved" from your projected budget, you can invest in a pickup upgrade. ;)

Is it an optical illusion in your photograph or does one pickup have its polepieces showing and the other one have them covered? 
  • That's the same as my mate had.  When I said "lent me", I meant sold it to me but changed his mind before payday.

Good score!

• 1997 Made in Korea Jazz Squier Jazz bass.Only cost £90!! Couldn't say no for that price!
    that will do the job ;)
    Now, with the money that you have "saved" from your projected budget, you can invest in a pickup upgrade. ;)

Is it an optical illusion in your photograph or does one pickup have its polepieces showing and the other one have them covered? 
    Yeah I'm presuming it has had the pickup changed at some point over the years. Can't imagine it came like that originally. Neither pickup sound particularly special but they'll do the trick for the time being.

Might look at saving my pennies for something like a Zoom B3 or some other similar bass effects/preamp kinda practice tool. Got some fun sounds out of @Legionreturns one in the past.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    Bridgehouse said:

Just don’t do your elbow, that makes it worse...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

Just don’t do your elbow, that makes it worse...
    Now who would be stupid enough to...

oh.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 1997 Made in Korea Jazz Squier Jazz bass.Only cost £90!! Couldn't say no for that price!
    that will do the job ;)

Yeah I'm presuming it has had the pickup changed at some point over the years. Can't imagine it came like that originally. Neither pickup sound particularly special but they'll do the trick for the time being.

Might look at saving my pennies for something like a Zoom B3 or some other similar bass effects/preamp kinda practice tool. Got some fun sounds out of @Legionreturns one in the past.
    Nice, consider the Behringer DI too? £17
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?