Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why do so few 'big name' bands/artists use PRS?

What's Hot
Ok, so I know there's a few that do (and obviously the early 2000s was Nu-Metal/PRS dominated), but since then, in the grand scheme of things the ratio of PRS to other brands (obviously especially the big two) is still very low.

I know it's a much more recent brand, and I realise that there is a lot more history etc with Gibson and Fender, but given that PRS do make some damn fine guitars, I'm wondering why they're not more prevalant.

Interested to hear everyones thoughts.
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    edited December 2018 tFB Trader

If you find a good Gibson and or Fender you just don't need a PRS   

I think they can also sometimes be a bit blingy in their looks which can make them a bit marmite....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RaveRave Frets: 268
    Younger company, don't endorse as many artists as Fender or Gibson...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Unfortunately because they're a newer company they can't be on any classic rock records. Top and bottom of it really.. no reflection on quality or design obviously.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5262
    cos they cant commit to their music careers and be dentists at the same time
    29reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    I think they're used by several 'big name' dental practitioners though...
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28198
    Confirmation bias, mostly. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • As you said, there were a lot of metal bands using them for a while... there are still a few around. I saw a couple of metal bands on Thursday night and both of them had one guitarist using PRS.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited December 2018
    Ok, so I know there's a few that do (and obviously the early 2000s was Nu-Metal/PRS dominated), but since then, in the grand scheme of things the ratio of PRS to other brands (obviously especially the big two) is still very low.

I know it's a much more recent brand, and I realise that there is a lot more history etc with Gibson and Fender, but given that PRS do make some damn fine guitars, I'm wondering why they're not more prevalant.

Interested to hear everyones thoughts.
    You need to get out and stop listening to dad rock .... :-)

I'd say 80 % of the rock bands (mostly non-UK) I listen to use PRS guitars .. check out this play list ..

Link doesn't work .. go to YouTube and search for PRS play list.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • They're just not cool. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28198
    You seem to be suggesting that there aren't any photos of losers playing Fendsons or Gibners... 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    You seem to be suggesting that there aren't any photos of losers playing Fendsons or Gibners... 
    I made no such statement!

But I maintain that no-one has ever looked cool playing a PRS. And - like it or not - that is a part of the rock music "thing" for a lot of people. Not saying it's rational, but I'm confident it part of why you don't see so many "famous types" playing PRSi
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • The weekend warrior on a budget maybe has to choose between a better guitar and a cool badge/shape.  So he maybe picks a PRS.

The name player can have his cake and eat it.  Probably not price sensitive - it's the fundamental tool of his trade after all - with techs on tap and dealers happy to look out for guitars he might like, he can make sure he gets an exceptionally good Gibson/Fender and mod any features he doesn't like. He's no worries about QC.  He gets the cool badge/shape and a guitar tailored to his preferences.

Or to put it another way, if you have the same model PRS as your hero you're very probably playing very similar guitars.

If you have the same model Gibson SG as your hero, maybe not so much.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This is extremely biased but as a result of the late 90s early 00s nu-metal thing I struggle to see them as anything other than a ‘metal’ guitar. I know that it’s a ridiculous way to view the brand, however, would I walk onstage with one -no, purely because of that ridiculous preconception (I’ve played a few and all have been exceptional). I can’t help but wonder if there’s a lot of people that feel the same way and know they are being ridiculous but just as when they (I) try to gel with a strat, simply can’t do it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If I was a dentist I would be so pissed off with dental PRS jokes.  I'm not so I still piss myself when they appear in every thread.  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited December 2018
    I've seen a lot of younger "cool" bands like Don Broco and Neck Deep (sure there are plenty of others) using PRS. Certainly cooler than Clapton bloozing away on a strat anyway  and remember, Tony Blair played a strat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22825
    But I maintain that no-one has ever looked cool playing a PRS. 
    Not Dave Navarro? 

I'm going to defeat my own argument here because I don't think he is cool any more - he seems to have turned into Conchita Wurst - but he used to be.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22825
    Brent Hinds?

Related image
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • There are plenty of serious players who use them; Carlos Santana, Dave Grissom, John Mayer, et al. 

PRS himself sees their lack of history as their biggest problem. Players ape their heroes - Gilmour and Knopfler were fans of Hank Marvin - so they both wanted Strats. That’s never going to change. 
  • https://imgur.com/gallery/sQf00E5
    I’ve still not figured out posting pics correctly, but Vernon Reid still kinda counts as cool in my book. 
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    To be perfectly honest, I hate PRS. I don’t like the look of them, and I wouldn’t even spend a penny on one (pun intended).

I’m not really sure how this prejudice manifested itself, but I remember it has been there ever since I learnt to play a guitar when I was 18. Maybe I was influenced by a friend, or thought they were too expensive, or no guitarist I liked were playing them... maybe a combination of reasons.

However, I have nothing against PRS owners. In fact I tend to think anyone who owns a PRS must be a pretty good player. Again, not sure why.

Funny how often flippant decisions made when you’re young tend to ingrain themselves so deeply in your psyche...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom