SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: JJ "Special Gold"

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27766
edited April 2014 in Guitars £
To say that this one has me in two minds would be an under-statement.

It's a JJ Special Gold, from 2004, according to the CoA.  Is it a JJ Jewel or a JJ Retro model??  I honestly can't work out the difference between those model names.

There's a P90 in the neck (which I presume is a JJ own-design) and a DiMarzio in the bridge position, which is tapped, to give a pretty wide range of sounds.

The main reason I'm selling (apart from Mrs TT's constant counting of my guitars - she's still getting lost once she gets to 30 though), is that I'm about to put a P90 and DiMarzio mini-HB into one of GSPBasses' LP DC Jr type guitars, so I can't see this one getting much playtime.

It's light (7-8lbs), and the neck is straight-and-true neck.  It sounds big, big, big, although the coil tap is pretty effective too.

There are 3 tiny marks on it, that only show up when it catches the light the right (or wrong) way.  You can't see them in the pics above, but you can see them here (if you look carefully) ...

It's £550 in a gigbag, collected from Suffolk or with a nearby meetup.  Add £25 for delivery by Mr U, P or S.  

I have a "Certificate of Authenticity" for it, serial# 03281, DoB May 2004, from the Hucke/Muschamp era of JJ Guitars.
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Not for me but that's a great deal!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27766
    Deijavoo said:
    Not for me but that's a great deal!
    They're so rarely seen, that I didn't know where to price it.  I can always up the price if the deal is too good ...

;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    I got talking to one of they guys from JJ, (maybe he was one of the Js?) at a trade show one time. Real nice fella and their gear was awesome. Too much The Who advertising for my tastes though. 
    I've just edited my original description.

I was mis-remembering the neck size for this.  My other JJ has the small neck, this one is more "normal", slightly thinner than the PRS WF, but nowhere near thin or skinny.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    I thought JJ Guitars was the re-brand of JJ Hucke but I might be wrong.
    edited April 2014
    drwiddly said:
    I thought JJ Guitars was the re-brand of JJ Hucke but I might be wrong.
    I believe ...

Jens J Hucke started the original business in the early 90s.  JJ Hucke Guitars morphed into JJ Guitars.  The original JJ left the business and went solo (as "Wolford Guitars") in the mid 00s.  Interestingly, the CoA with this guitar is co-signed by A. M. Hucke (clearly, some sort of relation to JJ) and the address is given as "Little Wolford".

The original JJ business (incl name & designs) is now owned by another "J" (Jeff) who's pretty passionate about the guitars judging by the YT clips and the conversation I had with him when I bought my other JJ a few years back.

[edit]
    And here's a linky to something similar that was sold by Guitars4You ...

Used JJ Hucke Retro - circa 2003
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4297
    Used to be mine this, and I can confirm that it is a very very nice guitar. Quite tempted to buy it back!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17706
    tFB Trader
    I'm pretty sure it's a Jewel HB 90. 

I remember considering buying one when they came out, they are really nicely made and sound great, but I didn't get on with the neck profile. The sales assistant in Soho Soundhouse got really angry and told me I was wrong (I wonder why those guys went out of business).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2014
    CloudNine said:
    Used to be mine this, and I can confirm that it is a very very nice guitar. Quite tempted to buy it back!
    I don't think the collection option would quite work, but I've got plenty of nice strong guitar-sized boxes.

You know you want to.

I've got a trade option via PM, but that doesn't quite work in terms of the downsizing target ... although it's a serious possibility.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2426
    Stuff what the wife thinks, I'd be inclined to keep it.  They're great guitars, and the necks on them are fantastic; you'd be hard pushed to find a gold top again. In all honesty, I regret selling mine.  Even the shop owner I traded with tried to talk me out of parting with it!

Of course, entirely up to you though...

This is all but sold now - just pending the final details of a deal that's getting increasingly complex!

Thanks for all the interest.
    And now it's confirmed Sold, Sold, Sold.

Thanks again for the interest and the tempting trade offers.

:)