Is this possible or am I imagining it? Origin 20

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
Marshall Origin 20 combo, love it and came to accept that it doesn't have much drive on tap, I run it in middle power mode with the gain up to max and its pretty clean, however yesterday, the stars aligned and I was able to run it flat out at max gain, max power, loved it! Only for a couple of play thoughs of Pretty Vacant, so not long.....
When I reduced everything back to normal bedroom settings, at middle power, I seem to have a bit more dirt, (great!) is that even possible, or am I imagining it?
Has running it flat out changed something?
It's not much, but I'm convinced it's changed for the better.....

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Temporary deafness?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    You've started to break the speaker in. The initial part of it happens very fast, just thrashing it for five minutes will make a noticeable difference. A few hours will get it most of the way to the 'final' tone, and eventually the rate of change just slows down towards imperceptible. A more broken-in speaker will be more lively and you'll hear subtle harmonics more, which you will probably hear as a better overdriven sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited January 2019
    @Sassafras ;;;What?! (I did wonder)

@ICBM I considered that but had no idea it would happen so quickly and noticeably, thanks!

I have no idea why some of this is bold/italic, iPad has mind of its own!...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

paulnb57 said:

You've accidentally hit the B and I buttons in the bar above the text box, most likely .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

paulnb57 said:
    @Sassafras ;;;What?! (I did wonder)

@ICBM I considered that but had no idea it would happen so quickly and noticeably, thanks!

@ICBM yes, accidentally, but no matter what I do it will not unselect them!

Bloody iPad!

paulnb57 said:

Bloody iPad!
    You have to select all the text you've typed first and then it will work. But yes, the iPad/iPhone editor on this forum software is a pain in the backside...

edited January 2019
    ICBM said:
    paulnb57 said:

Bloody iPad!
    You have to select all the text you've typed first and then it will work. But yes, the iPad/iPhone editor on this forum software is a pain in the backside...
    I did, it didn't.....

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    I bought a Bogner Atma which had been babied in 1 watt since new and it sounded a little anemic until I was able to give it full beans at a gig and the tone has definitely improved with the speaker being broken in - made a huge difference