PRS SE quality... Surprising!

What's Hot

Comments

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2392
    I've had three now, and my bandmate has one as well. Absolutely faultless build quality apart from the nuts, which are cheap plastic and not always cut brilliantly. Wasn't a fan of the old SE versions of the HFS/VB pickups, but the SE 245 pickups in my Bernie were okay, and the 85/15"S" pickups they've been fitting since 2017 are really quite good - balanced, versatile and not as horribly muddy as previous Korean pickups.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4670
    I have owned a few PRS SE over the years, and they have all been really good, but i now have  an SC250 which is way way better in every single way, it also cost way way more. 
    still fancy a Chris Robertson Se though 
  • ZukabakZukabak Frets: 19
    I've got a really nice US PRS P24 (limited edition piezo model) and a 2018 SE Zach Meyers' model.
    There certainly doesn't feel like there's over £2k difference between the two. The ZM is a semi-hollow single cut with matte neck, natural back and sides etc.. feels and sounds lovely, really easy to play and weighs bugger all. 
  • I prefer my MIK SE Custom 24 to my USA CE24.
    Its not as pretty, but it has the edge for handling and tone.
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3546
    I wish they'd do an SE DGT or McCarty Trem..
  • Got my son an SE EG a couple of years ago, I was really impressed by it
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    edited April 2019
    I recommended a second hand PRS SE Soapbar single cut to a family friend as a first electric (well after his bullet squire). I was really impressed, he's absolutely thrilled with it. For just over £200 it's a cracking guitar, apart from the almighty Pacifica I can't think of another guitar second hand which packs as much punch for that price.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    In terms of build quality PRS SE guitars are amazing value for money. I’ve owned 3 all made in Korea by World Guitars and they’ve all been very well set up with faultless finishing. Unfortunately there is just something about them that stops me really bonding with them, I haven’t totally given up on them however and still own an older single single cut and wouldn’t say no to trying one with P90s.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    The SEs seem universally renown for their build quality. I got one for my lad and am mega impressed with it (and I have a DGT and McCarty to compare it with) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • In terms of build quality PRS SE guitars are amazing value for money. I’ve owned 3 all made in Korea by World Guitars and they’ve all been very well set up with faultless finishing. Unfortunately there is just something about them that stops me really bonding with them, I haven’t totally given up on them however and still own an older single single cut and wouldn’t say no to trying one with P90s.
    I know what you mean. I've used mine for critical gigs, recordings (mine and guesting) and an audition, So its a reach for tool when an important job needs doing, but I never play it at home.

I've never subscribed to the view that PRS are soul less, but most do seem kind of formulaic. So many stripey flame top veneers in garish colours (and caps for core). Like a uniform they all are issued with. Maybe part of it? I'm not sure.

I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    Gobsmacked by the quality of my Bernie for the money. Really not much off the 2017 USA Gibson LP Traditional I had previously. I have a sample size of exactly 1 guitar tho so I can’t really comment beyond that. But find a good one and it’ll be bloody good.
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    edited April 2019
    Thanks guys, im getting a mewants for a Bernie Marsden now.. this forum is soo bad for my wallet.
    I picked up a cheap Tremonti SE a few weeks back in a trade intending to sell it on.
    It was a bit unloved, the fretboard was cruddy, the pick ups were a bit meh and the pots were all scratchy.
    I gave it some TLC and gave the pots a squirt of servisol switch cleaner
    I found an old Seymour Duncan in my bits drawer and as I had the guitar in bits thought I'd put it in the bridge position just to see what it would sound like.
    It's now a cracking rock guitar begging for grab and wail solos.
    Definately a keeper for now.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Fifty9 said:
    Gobsmacked by the quality of my Bernie for the money. Really not much off the 2017 USA Gibson LP Traditional I had previously. I have a sample size of exactly 1 guitar tho so I can’t really comment beyond that. But find a good one and it’ll be bloody good.
    When you say "not much off" what aspects are better quality on the Gibson?

I ask because I can't think what could be improved quality-wise about the Bernie I have.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    thegummy said:
    Fifty9 said:

I ask because I can't think what could be improved quality-wise about the Bernie I have.
    About the only thing I'd say my SE SingleCut is lacking behind my Les Paul Traditional is perhaps the pickups. And I'm only saying "perhaps" because I'm clutching at straws really to come up with a reason for the £1200 price difference!

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    thegummy said:
    Fifty9 said:

About the only thing I'd say my SE SingleCut is lacking behind my Les Paul Traditional is perhaps the pickups. And I'm only saying "perhaps" because I'm clutching at straws really to come up with a reason for the £1200 price difference!
    Admire your honesty.

I actually swapped the pickups in both my Gibson and Bernie before even playing them much because I already had replacements when I got them.

I'd bet exactly zero pounds I could tell the difference in a blind test between Gibson's, PRS SE's and even my fancy Bare Knuckle version of PAFs.
  • ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    I dunno how they compare to a real Les Paul (having never owned one), but every time I think about changing the pickups on the 2008 SE I try them out and realise they actually sound pretty damn good - to my ears at least - easily capable of the classic rock and metal I tend to play.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:
    Fifty9 said:

Admire your honesty.

I actually swapped the pickups in both my Gibson and Bernie before even playing them much because I already had replacements when I got them.

I'd bet exactly zero pounds I could tell the difference in a blind test between Gibson's, PRS SE's and even my fancy Bare Knuckle version of PAFs.

I've got an old (flat top, moon inlays) PRS SE CU22 that had fairly dull pickups to be honest, and the guitar was much better with the Iron Gear set I put in it.

But the pickups in my new PRS SE Singlecut are very good. They are perhaps a bit toppy and poky for some, especially for "bedroom" playing. But in a live context they are probably ideal for cutting through. 

I'm trying to get away from my usual "cheap guitar, pickups must be crap" mentality that has had me often change pickups on guitars. I was going to change the pups on my LTD EC-256, but recently changing the tuning down two steps to make it my "heavy" guitar and now the stock pickups sound immense. 

On the whole I'm trying to get away from guitar mojo and hocus pocus that has plagued me for years and realise that the price of a guitar has very little to do with its sonic quality these days. 

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    Have to agree with everything already stated. I gave owned a few PRS SE models over the years and currently have an Ace Signature model, which is 'ace'.

I added a set of locking tuners and had a new nut made for it, bit everything else is stock. Perfect modern day singlecut with trem guitar and works/plays a treat.

If I had to pick a hairs, I would prefer larger fret wire, as find the stuff on their Korean guitars a little on the small side for my own personal taste.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 916
    I've had four over the years. First was an EG model which had the fattest neck I've ever played. It didn't stay in tune well and the pickups were a bit brash so I sold it.

Next was a Soapbar double cut which was a really good guitar but the P90's didn't really suit the band I was in so I moved that on too (should have kept it).

Currently I have an exotic wood Custom 24 Floyd which is a seriously good guitar. It's completely stock and it plays and sounds great. I also have a Tremonti Custom which has locking tuners, a re-cut nut and a pair of Oil City Blue Streak pickups and it's a beast. The original SE245 pickups weren't bad but I already had the OC's from one of Ash's clearance sales and they've lifted it considerably.

I also have three US made PRS guitars which are great but I think the SE's get gigged more.
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    thegummy said:
    Fifty9 said:

Headstock, nitro & case. Prefer the Gibson 50s neck profile a little also.

All of these are matters of tase rather than quality tho.