NGD x 2 - Battle of the semi-hollows - Eastman VS Yamaha

What's Hot
antonyivantonyiv Frets: 301
I have always fancied a nice ES-335 guitar. After all, this was the only guitar (out of 10) that I guessed on @gringopig 's thread: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/2202989/#Comment_2202989

So far I had a Gibson Midtown and a Gibson ES-335 Dot. Didn't really like any of them and decided to try something else. I was going back and forth between Yamaha SA2200 and Eastman T59V. One day I realized that this is inevitable:

And the next step obviously was to buy both and try them out. 

I've played a couple of Yamaha guitars before and always liked them. Never had the opportunity to try an Eastman though. 

So here is my opinion on these guitars. 

Yamaha SA2200 - Are they worth the hype? 

In a nutshell - yes. Awesome guitars, really like that Yamaha. It is very easy to play and sounds really good. I hate gold hardware but the more I look at it, the more it starts growing on me. I guess I can make exception for one guitar with gold in the stable. It is a bit warmer and brighter than ES-335.  I went to a local guitar store to try their SA 2200 and to compare it with mine. Although there were 15 years difference in production - both looked really similar with that great maple top and felt the same. So in terms of consistency, Yamaha are pretty solid. 

EASTMAN T59V - Is it good?

I was really surprised by this guitar. Yes, it is made in China. But there is no way you can guess that. Everything is superb, great attention to detail, the hardware is top notch. Awesome instrument, feels very solid and plays super easy.  Consistency wise,  I don't know. This is my first Eastman.

How these two compare? 

Both instruments are very similar in feel. Eastman's neck is a bit rounded and more C-shape like. The finish of the Eastman seems to be faded while the Yamaha is gloss. 

First I played my Gretsch Power Jet Pro, then my PRS Stripped 58, then the Yamaha and finally the Eastman. These 4 guitars are pretty similar one to each other in terms of quality -  I didn't feel that I was downgrading while I was switching between them. 

And now what?

Unfortunately, I can have only 2 out 3:

- A marriage
- Yamaha SA2200
- Eastman T59V

I'm gonna play them for a while and decide which one should go. It won't be an easy choice though. 

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    That Yamaha is a stunner

(off to investigate...)
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Better not change the pickups in the SA then, ;) even tougher call as they are the only real weak point on the SA2200
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    The Eastman wins on looks for me.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3201
    The Eastman every day of the week for me -stunning guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14237
    tFB Trader
    antonyiv said:
    I have always fancied a nice ES-335 guitar. After all, this was the only guitar (out of 10) that I guessed on @gringopig 's thread: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/2202989/#Comment_2202989

So far I had a Gibson Midtown and a Gibson ES-335 Dot. Didn't really like any of them and decided to try something else. I was going back and forth between Yamaha SA2200 and Eastman T59V. One day I realized that this is inevitable:

Easy - BOTH !!!!!!!!!!!!
  • antonyiv said:

Easy - BOTH !!!!!!!!!!!!
    There we go, The Fretboard has spoken. I'm afraid it's divorce for you @antonyiv - gold luck breaking it to the wife! 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    Two beautiful guitars.  

If I had choose one, I would go for the one which had the neck profile that felt the most comfortable. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 823
    The Eastman for me on looks, I just don't like gold hardware!
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    A nice problem to have! I love the look of the Eastman too.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I'm with you on the gold hardware thing. But there is a huge difference between looking at a guitar and playing it, you tend not to notice what it looks like while you're holding it. 

I was playing my Fender Esprit this afternoon (similar type of guitar), I don't absolutely love the way it looks but playing it I really appreciate the fretboard, the snowflake fret markers and the bridge. Plus the controls are really well laid out. 

Only after putting it back on the wall did I notice the shape of it. 
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 823
    Fuengi said:
    I'm with you on the gold hardware thing. But there is a huge difference between looking at a guitar and playing it, you tend not to notice what it looks like while you're holding it. 

I was playing my Fender Esprit this afternoon (similar type of guitar), I don't absolutely love the way it looks but playing it I really appreciate the fretboard, the snowflake fret markers and the bridge. Plus the controls are really well laid out. 

Only after putting it back on the wall did I notice the shape of it. 
    So very true... a bit of shallowness does creep in with me at times though:-)
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    The one in the red dress.Wots all this crap about guitars ?
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    Eastman T59V for me, great guitars.
  • grayngrayn Frets: 880
    Cool choice.  I'd go for the Yammy every time though.
    I don't like that "vintage" finish on the body and hardware, on the Eastman.
    It kind of reminds me of a Hofner Verithin too.
    I had an Eastman 335 style guitars a few years back and it was really well made.
    They had a load of Eastmans in the Forsyths room at the the N.W. Guitar Show.
    Didn't like the finishing at all but that's just my taste.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    For the anti-blingers - that gold will fade pretty quickly, unless you polish after every use of course ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2934
    Personally, I'd toss a coin. Heads I'd keep the Yamaha, play it loads and wear some of that gold away, tails I'd sell the Eastman - just don't like that headstock shape!
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
    Yamaha for me...considering one at the moment...pups? They are cracking looking!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I've had two SA2200's over the years, lovely guitars but the pickups are very "HiFi" and a bit anaemic imho
  • antonyivantonyiv Frets: 301
    There we go, The Fretboard has spoken. I'm afraid it's divorce for you @antonyiv - gold luck breaking it to the wife! 
    Maybe I'll just send her a link to this thread with no additional explanation whatsoever. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • antonyivantonyiv Frets: 301
    sweepy said:
    I've had two SA2200's over the years, lovely guitars but the pickups are very "HiFi" and a bit anaemic imho
    I totally understand what you mean...but I really like them the way they are... although I shouldn't.