Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SCOM question

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4981
Why is there such a universal derision of music such as Sweet Child O Mine here on this site?  Mention a band such as Guns 'N' Roses and the general reaction is to 'hating' SCOM and Paradise City while professing to 'love' Welcome to the Jungle.....

This is not a troll, I would like to understand why....
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
    tFB Trader
    Is there hatred of these songs?

I like everything on Appetite.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    Perhaps it is because every punter and his dog has either:

a) a brother/friend/dog that can play it.
    b) can play it

It's probably played quite a lot in music shops too, so probably death by repitition.

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Monumental album in my musical tastes, and a cracking song to play live. So no hatred from me.

However it is overplayed on the radio and Axl became an even bigger prat that he was in his prime, but let's skip over that. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I like it.    I've seen a couple of discussions about how to play it but I haven't seen any negative comments about it...   SoF perhaps but not SCoM
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Because it's awful.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • It's a double edged sword.  Slash is a great player, the songs are good, on the other edge the singer just bothers me.  My opinion only(or is it?)  I really like a lot of the things Slash has released since leaving G'n"R, especially his more recent output.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Have to go with Lixarto on this , hate GnR and all the Slash worship that follows it, might be generational, but its nothing new and just annoyingly executed imho.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited August 2014
    @sweepy could be right there with the generation thing. I was 15/16 when GNR were massive. The first gig I went to was their first Wembley Stadium show. Right place right time as they were everywhere, certainly on the cover of all the rock magazines (metal hammer, raw and kerrang)

But what they did do is send me back to research and get into the stuff that came before, so back via Aerosmith to Led Zeppelin and Free. 

GNR certainly weren't original, but they were a cornerstone band for me, and a signpost back to the really great stuff. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Appetite is a quality rock album from start to end and has nothing to be sorry for.  

During the Appetite era, regardless of whether they were original or not, as already mentioned they were massive.  They put on a show and they had good tunes to boot. 

Yes, I agree other good stuff came before them, but isn't that case for all bands?  Influence/inspiration has to come from somewhere. Also, I think they were more than a mere cornerstone band and more of a turning point in the rock genre: they moved things forward. They revitalised the rock attitude and inspired a lot of bands that we most likely listen today.  As for the generation thing, I disagree. Regardless of Guitar Hero, young guitars/rockers are still buying the album.  I bought it when I was 16, 13 years after its release.  I don't think Guitar Hero was even invented then.

It's not one of the best selling albums for nothing.
  • Is there hatred of these songs?

I like everything on Appetite.

Me too. Great, great album.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Some GnR songs have been well over played on radio/MTV SCOM, November Rain Etc. It doesn't stop them being decent songs, I've just heard them too many times already.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24273
    It's a great album but it's been played to death.

It's the 1980s version of Stairway to Heaven.

I love playing the bass parts on the album - Duff (like Izzy) got sod all credit for their excellent work.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I meant Generational as, being a 50 year old fart ;) GnR were for " the kids" and I was more into my Beck Holdsworth, DiMeola, Connors Metheny etc,  so Iistened, got bored, next tyvm and fired up my old Zep to get my RAWK fix .
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Slash was the reason I started learning how to play "properly" but I quickly went right off GNR.

That's not say I don't get the old nostalgia when I hear a couple of tracks but I think the derision on here and with any of my guitarist mates to SCOM is on my part due to the terrible efforts you hear at playing that riff. Always out of time, and usually a little out of tune.
  • Appetite is a great album. No hate here. I think it's just that some of the songs are "cliched" as those 'first riffs every guitarist must learn'

In saying that I've never learned SCOM! 

My first 5 riffs were:
    - Smoke on the Water
    - Wanted Dead or Alive
    - Oh Well (Fleetwood Mac)
    - Same Old Song and Dance (Aerosmith)
    - Can't Stop (RHCP) 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • Is it because it seems that every time Slash is wheeled out for a stadium event, birthday, bar mitzvah , that is what he plays?

• Of course, the real question should be, is Slash real?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lixarto;337685" said:
    Because it's awful.
    No it isn't. For me it's got more good in it than bad.

As a former GnR teen obsessive I offer the following observaions:

Against: It is mawkish; the lyrics are overly sentimental; Axl's vocals are at times too much like Bugs Bunny having a strop.

But they're outweighed by the following:

For: A memorable opening riff; Duff's bass counterpoint intro; the drums which make the song swing; the first solo; THAT second solo; the whole of the song's end post second solo.

So once in a while I don't mind it at all.
  • Is it because it seems that every time Slash is wheeled out for a stadium event, birthday, bar mitzvah , that is what he plays?

That is the worst thing I've heard in a long time :( 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Does it have to be one or the other?

Like a lot of other "iconic" songs I have conflicting responses, I can like 'em and still go "Oh god, not *again*..." every time they pop up on the radio.
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom