Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SCOM question

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11319
    Had they been around 20 years earlier GnR would have barely made it off the pub circuit. Slash is a reasonable guitarist, but Axl sounds like a cat being tortured. The rest of them? Meh.

The guitar bits in SCOM are okay, but those Yoko-like vocals are just too painful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think I liked it once upon a time but SCOM must be the most played track on a Planet Rock and it's painfully over familiar now. Via Steel Panther my 18 year old son seems to be discovering hair rock now so he loves SCOM.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Appetite for Destruction era GnR were fantastic - it was in the 90s they started to stink big time. SCOM was a popular (and great imo) track when it was released as a single, but it's only in the last few years people have been rediscovering(or discovering) it and holding it up as some kind of rock classic - mainly the fern cotton 'I really love rock no honestly i do' crowd
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I must confess that my dislike for SCOM mostly stems from the fact that whenever I have been in a band doing rock covers, there is always one drunken chap who decides that it is the sole purpose of his life to get us to play that song.  Most by yelling "Plaaaay sweeeechiiiomiiiiiiine!" at the top of his lungs from somewhere near the bar during every reasonably quiet moment.

Maybe it's the same bloke following me around all the time and I have a stalker. [-O<
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • Fuzzdog said:
    I must confess that my dislike for SCOM mostly stems from the fact that whenever I have been in a band doing rock covers, there is always one drunken chap who decides that it is the sole purpose of his life to get us to play that song.  Most by yelling "Plaaaay sweeeechiiiomiiiiiiine!" at the top of his lungs from somewhere near the bar during every reasonably quiet moment.

Maybe it's the same bloke following me around all the time and I have a stalker. [-O<
    We get that too, and we're a wedding band.
    I have played it before it previous bands, so I could bluff my way through it ..but thankfully our singer refuses to sing it as i would destroy his voice for the rest of the night

• I think @sweepy is right and it is a generational thing. I was in my early 30's when Appetite came out and I bought it 'blind' on the strength of the gushing reviews. I was severely disappointed as, to me, it was a very pale imitation of the music I grew up with. I can understand why people love it but it's really not for me and I would (and have) refuse to play SCOM.
  • @Octahedron, does this make up for the earlier offence?

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    edited September 2014
    Fuzzdog said:
    ...there is always one drunken chap... yelling "Plaaaay sweeeechiiiomiiiiiiine!" at the top of his lungs from somewhere near the bar during every reasonably quiet moment.

It's the same bloke who before SCOM used to yell, "Plaaaay Freeeeeeeebuuurrrrrrrd"

But whereas I don't mind playing SCOM, I sodding hate Freebird. 

==========
    EDIT  Just thinking aloud... any thoughts and suggestions for an alternative to SCOM?  i.e. a big epic rock anthem that everyone knows and likes (when they're drunk enough) and even has the girlies joining in?

SCOM seems to be a hard song to replace in a set if you're looking for that sort of song.