FINISHED: Hollow Tele w/ P90s

What's Hot
RichValentineRichValentine Frets: 142
edited December 2014 in Making & Modding
Decided I wanted to spec my own tele build after struggling to find a guitar I really clicked with.

Body: Hollow Spruce with Flamed Sycamore Top
Neck: Birdseye Maple
- both provided by GSPBASSES

Pickups: Lollar P90s Creme
Electronics:  RS Guitarworks Vintage Tele
Bridge: Chrome Gotoh something or other
Tuners:  Chrome Sperzel Locking Tuners

Finish: Wudtone Azure Lagoon w/ Silver Highlights. Extra Gloss

The body and neck are incredible works of art from @GSPBASSES. ; Very reasonable and great quality. Started the finish today. Went for azure lagoon as I thought it would look good with the white pickups.  Suprisingly easy to apply even for a DIY idiot like myself.

First pics:

Body and neck from GSPBASSES:
http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/grahamepollard/Mobile Uploads/IMG_9646.jpg

Ready for finish ...
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76/rsavalentine/readyforfinish_zpsebd076fd.jpg

Deep Coat applied ...
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76/rsavalentine/deepcoatapplied_zps0bd1c299.jpg
0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Holy cow that's going to be so beautiful.

Word of warning - the satin top coat is, in my opinion, easier to use and get a better finish.

That said, looks like you'll have no problems... ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1779
    That looks lovely! You didn't fancy an F-hole to make it thinline-esque?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    Looking great already! I'll be watching this one :)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27621
    That @GSPBasses has fathered a lot of guitars round these parts ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • RickydRickyd Frets: 149
    TTony said:
    And a good looking bunch too. Quality looks superb, liking that wudtone colour as well.
  • RichValentineRichValentine Frets: 142
    edited October 2014
  • 2nd base coat done

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76/rsavalentine/IMAG0528_zpsru6i3kgb.jpg

Tempted to to put the highlights on next...
  • I'd get once more base coat just to make sure it's completely even :)

Looks great though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Everytime I see a prohect like tgis on here I decide that i must learn how to do it sometime.
    *project* *this*.....I need some coffee....
  • Deijavoo said:
    *project* *this*.....I need some coffee....
    It's really, really good fun mate. 

I'm terrible at it :) but I count it as much a hobby as playing the things, honestly.  And I genuinely believe that, for the price of a used USA standard strat, you can partscaster something that would compete with a Custom Shop or Suhr (bar the perfect finish - but I'll get there).  Just budget for a pro set up :)

Lots of people rate their strats by weight and hardware these days.  I'm getting Wudtone CP bridge, Oil City 50s pickups, US Standard tuners, ebony board and the whole thing weighing in at (approximately) 7-7.5lbs on completion, as well as a super thin finish. 

But most importantly, it's a nice way to spend time.  There are neat puzzles to solve, such as ensuring the neck fits the pocket correctly, sanding, scratchplates (NO shop bought scratchplate fits perfectly - I usually have to shave the neck pocket area a bit), wiring, finishing and final set up.  

I am envious of this project - I can remember the thread GSP posted to sell it, and I remember inquiring but didn't pull the trigger.  I was planning on using Azure Lagoon wudtone, too... Glad to see my dreams realised :) and I can't wait to see how it looks when finished. 
    I'm just crap at manual stuff, I still take my guitars elsewhere for proper set ups.
  • TTony said:
    There'll be another one on the list once I get a reply :)
  • Final base coat done, once it dries the silver highlights will begin. Slow process of adding the gloss finish will begin soon.

Still waiting on the pickups to arrive and then I can put it all together.  I reckon it should be done by the end of the month.
  • Final base coat done, once it dries the silver highlights will begin. Slow process of adding the gloss finish will begin soon.

Still waiting on the pickups to arrive and then I can put it all together.  I reckon it should be done by the end of the month.
    Don't overdo it on the highlights.  It'll look like there is nothing there probably, but it's about how the light catches it :)

I bet it'll look fabby. 
  • Yeah I heard it is pretty subtle. I don't want it to be too flashy.  Going to tidy the finish when it has crept over the binding edges and then probably leave each gloss coat 3-4 days to cure. I then have to finish the sides and back, which are staying natural.
  • Sounds great. 

It looks incredible, I wish my first was as excellent looking!
  • I'd love to take credit but it is all @GSPBASSES work and the ease of applying Wudtone.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    guitargeek62;400195" said:
    TTony said:

There'll be another one on the list once I get a reply :)
    Ooohh wotcha getting Si ?
  • RichValentineRichValentine Frets: 142
    edited November 2014
    Final colour coat and silver highlights added...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76/rsavalentine/1907899_10153270476865830_6665230966401749971_n_zpsab02c9e7.jpg

Highlights just added so body still "wet"... colour evens out a fair bit when dried. Next stage... fine wet and dry paper around binding to tidy up any overspill then start applying gloss coat. Will wait 2 days for current coat to cure though.