Grace Bowers

What's Hot
Only seen a couple of mentions of Grace Bowers on here. Having only just found out about her via a Marty Schwartz interview, I've been watching youtube videos of her all week..

The incredible thing about her is she's only 17, and playing out regularly in Nashville with big names already.
She's incredible! Yes it's nothing original and those of you who find blooz rock boring won't be into it, but her timing, technique, phrasing, feel, attitude, everything are phenomenal.... just one of those people who are channeling something special when they're playing. 

Sometimes you see a guitar player that inspires you, reminds you of why you picked it up in the first place. She's one of them. People often say there are no more guitar heroes/stars coming through these days.... could be one right here. 

If you haven't heard of her, check out some of the many youtube clips.. here's a couple

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    Having watched a fair bit of her I can't work out if I think she's great or rubbish. Which is probably a good sign that she gives it everything and is prepared to fail and often flies by the sea of her pants which makes her quite exciting. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3024
    edited March 27
    soma1975 said:
    Having watched a fair bit of her I can't work out if I think she's great or rubbish. Which is probably a good sign that she gives it everything and is prepared to fail and often flies by the sea of her pants which makes her quite exciting. 

Yes, interesting observation, I see what you mean. She’s clearly very talented, but also seems to put everything into it and playing at the edge of her abilities, making it edge on seat stuff. Will be interesting to see her development over the next few years.

Perhaps not all will be impressed… even Hendrix gets a hard time here after all! But her playing … for me it’s just exhilarating to watch for whatever reason. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Saw her demoing the new Gibson Falcon 5 amp, a month or so ago & thought she was OK, but not really my cup of tea. At the time I thought she was in her 30’s, but maybe that’s just the hair!

Heres the vid:
    https://youtu.be/Q6_N0X2ICYw?feature=shared
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1067
    The world needs a Grace Bowers / Tal Wilkenfeld collaboration. The hair factor alone will sell tickets. 
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 638
    edited March 27
    I enjoyed the vids. My kind of playing. 

Cool to see a young player with a bit of soul and not just aimlessly shredding. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22837
    Yes it's nothing original and those of you who find blooz rock boring won't be into it, but her timing, technique, phrasing, feel, attitude, everything are phenomenal.... just one of those people who are channeling something special when they're playing. 
    I saw the still pictures and that's exactly what I was expecting, but I watched...  I like the bits where she's playing fast and intense, it gets away from the expected stereotypical blues rock.  The second clip is more boring (to me) but again I liked it once it got going.  Would I listen to an album?  Probably not.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3024
    edited March 27
    This was the first one I saw.. and it’s over a year old so she’s have been 16 then… This makes we want to get a fuzz face

https://youtu.be/7U__uSG8XJI?si=hqgtbC6MA_Udkp22
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SvartmetallSvartmetall Frets: 698
    edited March 28
    Clearly a lot of innate talent, but there are some really bad 'I forgot what key this song is in' flubs - especially in 'Lenny' - that she's going to need to work on before claiming any sort of wunderkind title. There's a difference between 'outside' notes and just flat out wrong notes, and...yeah. Still, with that said - definitely someone to watch.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22837
    edited March 28
    This was the first one I saw.. and it’s over a year old so she’s have been 16 then… This makes we want to get a fuzz face

https://youtu.be/7U__uSG8XJI?si=hqgtbC6MA_Udkp22
    God, I used to play that riff when I was about 16... 18 maybe.  But just the basic riff.  And I haven't got any better since...

Does she sing?  That would add another element.
  • DaiCappDaiCapp Frets: 135
    For 17 years old, shes highly talented. She still has a lot to learn but I think she knows that and as long as she doesn't start believing her own hype she'll get there. I reckon if she could persuade someone like Tom Bukovac to give her some lessons she'd be well on her way to rounding out her playing...

I'd love to see her share a stage with Kingfish - that would generate some exciting playing! 
  • I don't get the "not bad for 17 I suppose" comments.  Whether the music is your taste or not (and I do like some of it), let's face it she's bloody good at it.  Is she the best ever? Probably not, but if I heard that music playing somewhere out of context of this discussion I wouldn't be thinking "that'll be better when the guitarist grows up a bit and learns to play properly".
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27000
    She’s obviously exceptional and far more exciting than 90% of other players that guitarists usually fawn over. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4211
    edited March 28
    Just watched a bit of that first clip in the OP. She's got great tone and touch, very nice dynamics, enough flash to be able to throw down if the moment arises, and she knows how to build and develop a solo. With those foundations she could go on to do anything really. I hope she's focusing on finding her creative/writing voice because that will be the make or break.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11696
    I quite enjoy some reviewers/commentators on YT - Guitaristas, Phil McKnight, Darrell Braun, Andre Fludd and yes, even Trogly - but I have no interest in watching guitarists flaunt their ability (or lack of it).  Yes, some of the aforementioned play when demonstrating instruments but that isn't my main reason for watching.

Trogly's videos are very same-y and I find his delivery grates, but he knows his stuff (well, when it comes to Gibsons at least), he's quite personable and above all he's very enthusiastic and not too far up his own arse.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4211
    Offset said:
    I quite enjoy some reviewers/commentators on YT - Guitaristas, Phil McKnight, Darrell Braun, Andre Fludd and yes, even Trogly - but I have no interest in watching guitarists flaunt their ability (or lack of it).  Yes, some of the aforementioned play when demonstrating instruments but that isn't my main reason for watching.

Trogly's videos are very same-y and I find his delivery grates, but he knows his stuff (well, when it comes to Gibsons at least), he's quite personable and above all he's very enthusiastic and not too far up his own arse.
    Think you want the other thread, mate....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11696
    ^^ They all blend into one sometimes :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3453
    She is really good, shes subtle and not a show off and she has chops, I like that.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 366
    I think it's nice to see 17 year old kids into "proper" music, she's got a decent touch, and she's definitely better than I was at 17...
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    I haven't even listened to it, there's loads of great young guitarists imo, my son was playing megadeth tornado of souls when he was 13, then slowed down.

When she starts making music I'll listen if it's good, I'm not interested in the same old blues or the same covers.

I just saw a band with dewoolf called silveroller and they're really good, great band and the singer is fantastic, they're making music I like, which is good classic rock.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 638
    I haven't even listened to it, there's loads of great young guitarists imo, my son was playing megadeth tornado of souls when he was 13, then slowed down.

When she starts making music I'll listen if it's good, I'm not interested in the same old blues or the same covers.

I just saw a band with dewoolf called silveroller and they're really good, great band and the singer is fantastic, they're making music I like, which is good classic rock.
    What is she making if its not music?