Grace Bowers

What's Hot

Comments

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    edited March 28 tFB Trader
    Kurtis said:
    I haven't even listened to it, there's loads of great young guitarists imo, my son was playing megadeth tornado of souls when he was 13, then slowed down.

When she starts making music I'll listen if it's good, I'm not interested in the same old blues or the same covers.

I just saw a band with dewoolf called silveroller and they're really good, great band and the singer is fantastic, they're making music I like, which is good classic rock.
    What is she making if its not music? 
    Is it original music she wrote if not I'm not bothered tbh, plenty of great bands out there writing and playing there own stuff without the recognition they deserve 

Ok just listened to the first clip and that's my problem no song, would've sounded great with a singer, I'm not interested in instrumental music I want songs.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 686
    edited March 28
    Kurtis said:
    I haven't even listened to it, there's loads of great young guitarists imo, my son was playing megadeth tornado of souls when he was 13, then slowed down.

When she starts making music I'll listen if it's good, I'm not interested in the same old blues or the same covers.

I just saw a band with dewoolf called silveroller and they're really good, great band and the singer is fantastic, they're making music I like, which is good classic rock.
    What is she making if its not music? 
    Is it original music she wrote if not I'm not bothered tbh, plenty of great bands out there writing and playing there own stuff without the recognition they deserve 

Ok just listened to the first clip and that's my problem no song, would've sounded great with a singer, I'm not interested in instrumental music I want songs.
    I'm not sure what it is, sounds largely improvised to me. Could be wrong. 

There's loads of band yes but don't see the point in knocking this player, especially when you've not bothered to listen to it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    My son wrote this when he was 16 at ACM, he came up with the guitar riff and parts too, hugely missed but just for context, he was a good songwriter, golden sky is about a blond haired girl he fancied.
    They also used an 18watt combo I made.

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    My son wrote this when he was 16 at ACM, he came up with the guitar riff and parts too, hugely missed but just for context, he was a good songwriter, golden sky is about a blond haired girl he fancied.

Maybe you should start a thread about your son? 
    Kurtis said:

No thanks I'm just showing a comparison between a player and a songwriter player.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7353
    She is quite an accomplished player and exciting to watch when she plays the faster stuff.  I agree with some other observations in that some of the excitement is like watching a drunk on a bicycle teetering on the edge of falling off but managing to stay upright and make progress.  To be clear about that aspect, I've seen Page, Beck and countless other greats doing that same teetering on the edge as well.  One thing I notice is that she seems to have adopted lots of little tricks, like endlessly twiddling with the knobs, playing in different ways and positions on the strings with her picking fingers, and lots of other things that should be milking tons of nuances from her playing, but some of those nuances don't seem to quite come across.  God forbid she starts shaking the neck like Chris Buck.  I think she's really good, but I'm not sure I would buy her album yet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Kurtis said:

No thanks I'm just showing a comparison between a player and a songwriter player.
    Very good of you. Thanks. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14315
    Only played the one clip so far - Nice to see a youngster not just lay into flashy legato arpeggio based licks as per many that appear to do so these days 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9670
    mo6020 said:
    I think it's nice to see 17 year old kids into "proper" music, she's got a decent touch, and she's definitely better than I was at 17...
    My first thought was "why is a 17-year old girl into old man blues rock noodling?"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Generally, I really like the "on the edge" type playing. Imo it's a large part of what separates the hendix's, pages, Clapton's from the mediocre.

If you're worrying about hitting the odd duff note then you're not really "in the zone" giving it your all. 
  • My son wrote this when he was 16 at ACM, he came up with the guitar riff and parts too, hugely missed but just for context, he was a good songwriter, golden sky is about a blond haired girl he fancied.

FWIW I really like that - has a real 60s/70s blues rock feel.  Actually not that far from some of the stuff in the OP.

And from the way you wrote that post it sounds like your son is no longer with us - if that's right then that's very sad and you have my condolences. I have a daughter (who is also a musician as it happens) and I can only imagine how I'd feel if I lost her.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    The world needs a Grace Bowers / Tal Wilkenfeld collaboration. The hair factor alone will sell tickets. 

There is a danger their heads will touch and they will permanently velcro together.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    I gave the video a listen and quite enjoyed it which is high praise considering I generally hate modern blues.

She def has that Jimmy Page. It might go horribly wrong but it doesn’t thing that makes it quite compelling.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27145
    She's got a record coming out - it's absolutely not just another blues player. It feels like Parliament or something. I'm liking it a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1-x_tmiT5c

And a rig rundown just out :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RdsuA4Rd6M
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10443
    I have heard of her because she's sponsored by Gibson. I'm not surprised by her playing, with the right attitude, correct teaching and adequate equipment mid teens can progress amazingly quickly and some just have natural feel musicality. I had one student who I stopped teaching at 16 who was arguably more impressive then and is astonishing now at 18. 

I don't know her back story but if she did the Nashville Broadway slots which go from 10 in the morning to 2 at night, like a lot of upcoming players do to earn a living then the sheer hours per day is just way above what any of us would ever do. I've seen the same players pop up 10 at night that I saw in another band on Broadway at 11 in morning in another bar. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 754
    Teen Guitar Star GRACE BOWERS - Live at the 5 Spot (youtube.com)

Impressive. How to do magic stuff on an SG. What will be like in another 5 years? Hope she gets the success she deserves.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24471
    She's got a record coming out - it's absolutely not just another blues player. It feels like Parliament or something. I'm liking it a lot

Agreed - there's definitely a funk thing going on there and that is right up my street. 

I'm looking forward to the album.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6728
    Have to say what I heard of her album is a lot more my thang than the various clips of her being given a 2min shred slot guesting on other people's gigs. 

She's a talent. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3338

No if this post had started with this, wow, much better than the generic blues by numbers and now im really looking forwartd to hearing more. Reminded me a lot of the incredible Silk sonic record
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1025
    The only things she seems to do on that song is play the solo. Does she sing normally?