Blood Sugar Sex Magik

What's Hot
Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2205
edited April 25 in Music
Bugger me, I'd forgot how amazing this album is.  Almost every track is pure genius. 

I'm not crazy about any of their earlier albums and I don't really think any of the later ones came that close tbh.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2205
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2299

Listened to it a lot in a short space of time. Too much maybe. I spinned it up recently and thought only a small number of good tracks and it sounded processed, digital and tinny so I stopped listening. Maybe I'll rip it an remaster it (done that a few times)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    It's good, but I prefer Californication, By The Way (especially) and even Stadium Arcadium - I like the more melodic, less funky side of them. I'm unfashionable again, I know...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Absolute classic of the time.. I went back to it last year and was similarly pleased how good it still sounded. Easily my favourite RHCP album. 
    I hadn't listened to the full album for a good decade or so - maybe some nostalgia there.  rze99 said:

Listened to it a lot in a short space of time. Too much maybe. I spinned it up recently and thought only a small number of good tracks and it sounded processed, digital and tinny so I stopped listening. Maybe I'll rip it an remaster it (done that a few times)
    I always thought the production was very open / clear and not tinny / digital. I don't know much about production stuff but I can hear Rick Rubin's contribution all over it
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5175
    I could have lied…. <3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1473
    I agree and I disagree. Mother’s Milk is still terrific, but yes BSSM is untouchable. I only like those two albums really. 
    And they just don't make videos like thins any more:  

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1095
    Incredible album but it’s of it’s time. It’s everything that is good and not so good about RHCP. The documentary is better than the album.

It’s fair to say that they probably have 3 of the absolute best at their respective instruments and yet the more I think about them, the more cringe they are. 
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1473
    LPManic said:
    Incredible album but it’s of it’s time. It’s everything that is good and not so good about RHCP. The documentary is better than the album.

It’s fair to say that they probably have 3 of the absolute best at their respective instruments and yet the more I think about them, the more cringe they are. 
    This is an absolute fair point. And the doco is magnificent. 
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1059
    the coda on Sir Psycho Sexy
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    LPManic said:

Definitely agree. For a short period of time between Mother's Milk and this album, I was really into them, but now I find them insufferable despite liking a lot of the individual elements.

I don't think it has aged well at all.  I should stress, that's for me. No value judgment intended for those who continue to think it's great.

In terms of the playing, Flea and Frusciante can both be great even if I don't always like the music they are performing on, but I'm less into what Chad Smith does, which always feels quite stiff and heavy-handed.

• JfingersJfingers Frets: 375
    It was era defining for me in a lot of ways. Not heard it for a very long time, might give it a spin later. I enjoyed Keidis book in a vicarious way, read it in Greece so at least the weather made sense.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6506
    There always seems to be an awful lot of empty space in their sound, which may well be intentional but sounds a bit odd to me.
    But, you know, Under The Bridge is Under The Bridge, can’t really argue with a track like that.

• kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 183
    Love it. Listened to it tons back in the day and went to see them quite a few times. Easily their greatest moment for me.

Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22999
    Fishboy7 said:
    Bugger me, I'd forgot how amazing this album is.  Almost every track is pure genius. 

I'm not crazy about any of their earlier albums and I don't really think any of the later ones came that close tbh.  

I think it's very different from everything else, apart from Mother's Milk maybe, but that was the Frusciante lineup just finding its feet.  BSSM's the last of their albums which really rocks.
    ICBM said:
    It's good, but I prefer Californication, By The Way (especially) and even Stadium Arcadium - I like the more melodic, less funky side of them. I'm unfashionable again, I know...
    I really like those first two, they have some great songs, but where's the funk and where's the energy?  It went away and never came back, except in fits and starts.  And we've had the discussion before, but Stadium Arcadium is simply too long for me... it's like Mellon Collie and the last few Metallica albums, I just don't have the patience to listen all the way through and as a result none of the songs ever really lodged in my head.

I didn't bother with the Josh Klinghoffer albums, I heard bits and pieces and they did not interest me at all.  I bought the Frusciante-comeback Unlimited Love, it's not bad, and I have heard Return of the Dream Canteen, not bad but again I think they released too much music in too short a space of time.  It's exhausting.

To totally go out on a limb, I'm a fan of One Hot Minute.  Navarro didn't really fit, but I like his playing, I like the songs and it's one of my favourite RHCP albums.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    Fishboy7 said:

Agree.
    It is a masterpiece.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11873
    By The Way is my fave RHCP album.  It's fantastic - not a duffer on there.

That said, 'Give It Away' means BSSM runs it close.