Blood Sugar Sex Magik

What's Hot

Comments

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4559
    it was the outro to Sir Psycho Sexy that got me into wanting to learn the guitar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27139
    BSSM's highs are extremely high but I don't love it overall. It's a bit long. Almost every record they've made is a bit long. 

By The Way is too long. SA is WAY too long. Everything since is diminishing returns. Everything pre-BSSM is meh 

Californication is perfection. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3914
    BSSM was the reason I picked up the guitar. Age 21. That’s all I need to say.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5162

Everything pre-BSSM is meh 

Agreed. Get "What Hits!?" and rest easy knowing you're not missing anything.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

edited May 2
    You guys don’t rate Mother's Milk? It’s a great album, I don’t think there’s a weak track on there, it’s listenable all the way through. Knock me down is on there for Gawds sake. 

I do actually dig most of the earlier stuff too, just not every track on every album, admittedly. There’s some absolute gems though. Police helicopter, Skinny sweaty man, Me and my friends, Hollywood, Funky crime, Behind the sun, Fight like a brave, If you want me to stay, Blackeyed blonde, Yertle the turtle, Get up and jump…and I even love Catholic schoolgirls rule. 

I must be in the minority. These songs all kick some serious arse.

BSSM will always be their best for me but I listen to the earlier stuff a damn sight more than I do post 1991.

edit: and I almost forgot Thirty dirty birds! Some of their live renditions of that were legendary. Funky as fuck. 
    edited May 2
    Nah, I don’t think anyone really rates MM anywhere the obvious top 3 unless they were 14-19 when it came out. 
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1475
    Nah, I don’t think anyone really rates MM unless they were 14-19 when it came out. 
    That would be me. 
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    What’s the documentary, “Funky Monks”?
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1475
    gusman2x said:
    Ja. 
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    gusman2x said:
    Ja. 
    Sweet, will check it out. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    Was playing in school six-form bands at the time it came out and all my friends were heavily into it. Kinda of appreciated it but couldn’t get over the dumbness of the lyrics and testosterone sound then and still can’t. I spent my time trying to convince them to listen to REM and Living Colour. 
  • AidanspaghettiAidanspaghetti Frets: 852
    Great album but I also love One hot minute. 
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • There's some good songs. But the good songs are the ones that are on the Greatest Hits album. The rest I can pass. I grew up in the Californication/By the Way/Stadium Arcadium eras.

IMHO, RHCP have not released anything good since Stadium Arcadium. Bringing back John Frusciante didn't fix anything!
    Nah, I don’t think anyone really rates MM anywhere the obvious top 3 unless they were 14-19 when it came out. 
    They were once my number one band, I lived and breathed them as a 21 year old and had to have all their stuff. I was 19 when MM was released but didn’t discover them until Under the bridge hit the charts, like a lot of people at the time.

Barely listen to them nowadays, mind but BSSM still gets my juices flowing.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1427
    Love Angel Music Baby.

That shows the cultural import of BSSM. It's big, dumb, and fun but in a completly different way to the 80s and hair era. Kind of alternative but also mainstream adjacent. I'm not the world's biggest RHCP fan but t me it's the album they'll forever be remembered for.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • ColsCols Frets: 7074
    Mother’s Milk, BSSM and One Hot Minute were, for me, the high water mark of the Chili’s output.  For the third one, Dave Navarro brought a different hard rock sound and a higher level of technical proficiency married to Flea’s outstandingly funky bass.

After that, they kind of went soft - more melodic at the expense of their funk roots.  The latest two albums are a real return to form though.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1059
    I'm still a huge Peppers fan. Given Rick Rubin's reputation for trimming things down, Stadium Arcadium could (should) have been trimmed to an awesome single disk, and the last two doubles could be condensed into one really good single sided album.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9347
    BSSM is a great album, but frankly whether it’s BSSM, Californication, By The Way, Stadium Arcadium or the more recent stuff, they seem to release everything they’ve written, rather than consider whether it’s any good.
    Even on californication, which is probably the album that’s the most complete, they could have made an even better 8 track album. The last 2 albums are the same- there’s one great album in there of 8-10 tracks
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    chris78 said:
    BSSM is a great album, but frankly whether it’s BSSM, Californication, By The Way, Stadium Arcadium or the more recent stuff, they seem to release everything they’ve written, rather than consider whether it’s any good.
    Even on californication, which is probably the album that’s the most complete, they could have made an even better 8 track album. The last 2 albums are the same- there’s one great album in there of 8-10 tracks
    Completely agree. A firmer producer who forces them to edit themselves would help. Taylor Swift is the same - Midnights and TTPD are both WAY too long. 

Same for Ryan Adams too, tho in his case it’s that he just spunks out sensibly-lengthed albums but puts out like 3 a year rather than picking the best 3 songs off each and put out one really amazing record every other year. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 682
    I have a soft spot for by the way as it holds good memories.

They do tend to have one or two songs per album that I'm not that keen on. 
    Just trying to be different I suppose.