Music that makes you think "who actually buys this"

What's Hot
jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12386
The Lighthouse Family. Sold a gazillion albums in the 90s. Who bought it though, I mean it's just nothing music, sort of a wimpy background hum performed by two gimps that look and sound like lobotomised Estate Agents. I imagine it's what Dave Lee Travis might have in his car for a nice Sunday drive, music for people who aren't into music I just don't get it, its the wettest most anodyne drivel, like a soft beige aural turd floating down a stream towards the 5 CD's for £1 shelf in a charity shop. It's neither interesting or soulful, which "quiet" music can be if done right. Just shit shop music wafting across Oak Furniture Land or some other bland Retail Park store, the kind of places that feel like slow Sunday death soundtracked by "Ocean Drive". Listening to it just makes you want to give up.
"OUR TOSSPOT"
5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7345
    I would rather be stuck in a lift over a holiday weekend with Jedward and have Richard Clayderman playing endlessly in a loop than listen to a Lighthouse Family song, let alone a full album.  I only know one person that liked the Lighthouse Family, and he enthused over it.  He smoked a huge amount of weed and was out of his head most of the time though.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23001
    Any mention of the Lighthouse Family immediately makes me think of The Christians.  I'm sure it's possible to tell them apart if you listen back-to-back, but in my mind they're completely indistinguishable pap.  Sliced white bread music, with the crusts cut off.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7208
    I liked Ocean Drive.  There, I’ve said it
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12386
    Philly_Q said:
    Any mention of the Lighthouse Family immediately makes me think of The Christians.  I'm sure it's possible to tell them apart if you listen back-to-back, but in my mind they're completely indistinguishable pap.  Sliced white bread music, with the crusts cut off.
    A big difference is that The Christians were trying to address social issues in their lyrics, which possibly went over the heads of casual listeners who just like the tunes.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72491
    Offensively inoffensive, if that’s possible.

Train are the American version. I accidentally bought one of their albums from a charity shop not knowing who they were and thinking it was going to be Americana of some sort… wrong, it’s one of the very few albums I couldn’t even listen to all the way through once.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12410
    Simply red always baffled me.  What was the point.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28508
    A big difference is that The Christians were trying to address social issues in their lyrics, which possibly went over the heads of casual listeners who just like the tunes.
    Whereas no-one knows - or can ever know - what The Lighthouse Family's songs were about, as they trigger a defensive reflex in the brain that shuts down higher processing to protect from greater harm. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4110
    Oasis. Just whining drivel.

Any form of dance or rap music. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28508
    Any pop (including rock, heavy metal, blah blah blah) recorded more than 25 years ago. That might be generous. 

If it was any good, you've already heard it too many times. If it wasn't, you've already heard it far too many times. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12386
    Simon Bates Our Tune griefwank music where the names have been changed to protect their "Idendidees" Oh fuck off.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11804
    Honestly, none.

World is a miserable nasty place at times, and even music I personally consider unlistenable (which for me includes any metal where the singer goes "grrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhh" instead of singing), if it brings someone somewhere happiness, entertainment or even solace, it deserves to exist.

Sorry if that sounds like preachy virtue signalling, hope you all know I'm not like that, it's honestly what I think.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9822
    ICBM said:
    Offensively inoffensive, if that’s possible.

Train are the American version. I accidentally bought one of their albums from a charity shop not knowing who they were and thinking it was going to be Americana of some sort… wrong, it’s one of the very few albums I couldn’t even listen to all the way through once.
    I quite liked Drops of Jupiter to be honest, but can only think of one other thing I've ever heard by them and yes, indeed, it was absolute drivel 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 284
    Beyonce. Don't know why but one of the few singers for whom I will actually get up and turn the radio off.

If someone can explain why AC/DC live with Brian Johnson sounding like he's having a colonoscopy with no sedative is a preferable noise to the nice lady who seems to try to cram every note on the scale into one syllable then I'd be interested to hear the theory.

Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 646
    Live
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1473
    Oasis. Just whining drivel.

Any form of dance or rap music. 

Nothing electronic? I feel quite sad for you. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10708
    The Lighthouse Family. Sold a gazillion albums in the 90s. Who bought it though, I mean it's just nothing music, sort of a wimpy background hum performed by two gimps that look and sound like lobotomised Estate Agents. I imagine it's what Dave Lee Travis might have in his car for a nice Sunday drive, music for people who aren't into music I just don't get it, its the wettest most anodyne drivel, like a soft beige aural turd floating down a stream towards the 5 CD's for £1 shelf in a charity shop. It's neither interesting or soulful, which "quiet" music can be if done right. Just shit shop music wafting across Oak Furniture Land or some other bland Retail Park store, the kind of places that feel like slow Sunday death soundtracked by "Ocean Drive". Listening to it just makes you want to give up.

One of the best posts in history! But I think you answered your own question!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72491
    The funny thing is that in my band, I’m “the one who likes lightweight mainstream pop music” and I have no shame about admitting it… but I really draw the line at the Lighthouse Family. The singer can’t even really sing, he just drones tunelessly over some of the most forgettable pap ever recorded - presumably someone at their record company must have realised there was a vast market for this sort of wallpaper, since I can’t think of any other reason it’s been inflicted on the world.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3048
    Paraphrasing:

”How can anyone like something I don’t like?”

Ocean Drive sold 1.8million copies (6-times platinum), so clearly a lot of people liked it.

You don’t have to like everything that is popular.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6506
    Paraphrasing:

”How can anyone like something I don’t like?”

Ocean Drive sold 1.8million copies (6-times platinum), so clearly a lot of people liked it.

You don’t have to like everything that is popular.
    I think another way to look at the question is: what are people getting out of this music?

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7784
    Funny thread. My ex used to really like Lighthouse Family in her 20's before we met. She was depressed at the time and maybe the lyrics weren't too dark, that's my take on it. 
    In her defense, she really loves jazz, classical and lots of other good music, including ACDC.

Lots of music I don't enjoy and think is quite bad I can often try and see why others do.