Music that makes you think "who actually buys this"

What's Hot

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6142
    Cold Play
    Banal, predictable muzak for people who don't listen to music.
    The musical equivalent of cardboard.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5536
    edited April 27
    I'd put Dido in there with Lighthouse Family. 
    Music for microwaving lasagne.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1476
    DiscoStu said:
    Don’t you go disrespecting lasagne. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1577
    Paraphrasing:

”How can anyone like something I don’t like?”

Ocean Drive sold 1.8million copies (6-times platinum), so clearly a lot of people liked it.

You don’t have to like everything that is popular.
    I think another way to look at the question is: what are people getting out of this music?
     I think there's maybe something relaxing and comforting (for some people) in how neutral it sounds.

It doesn't really bother me tbh.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23009
    Philly_Q said:
    Any mention of the Lighthouse Family immediately makes me think of The Christians.  I'm sure it's possible to tell them apart if you listen back-to-back, but in my mind they're completely indistinguishable pap.  Sliced white bread music, with the crusts cut off.
    A big difference is that The Christians were trying to address social issues in their lyrics, which possibly went over the heads of casual listeners who just like the tunes.
    I don't care. I don't really listen to lyrics anyway, but if they want to address social issues maybe they should set the lyrics to more interesting music. Or write a book.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10308

Ah, The Lighthouse Family. The musical equivalent of Matt Baker off of The One Show.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OctavioOctavio Frets: 152
    BillDL said:
    I would rather be stuck in a lift over a holiday weekend with Jedward and have Richard Clayderman playing endlessly in a loop than listen to a Lighthouse Family song, let alone a full album.  I only know one person that liked the Lighthouse Family, and he enthused over it.  He smoked a huge amount of weed and was out of his head most of the time though.
    "One day we're gonna get.... so highhhhhhh"
  • ALRALR Frets: 122
    I invite everyone to try F*** The Poor by Selfish C***

They were darlings of the music press briefly about 20 years ago, I suspect mainly because of the ‘rude word’ in the name/title. I wondered who wanted to listen to it then, and I still do now.
    My music blog:
    http://alrmusicblog.blogspot.com/ (updated Feb 2023)
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 609
    DiscoStu said:

Such a beautiful turn of phrase. And accurate too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27139
    Honestly, none.

World is a miserable nasty place at times, and even music I personally consider unlistenable (which for me includes any metal where the singer goes "grrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhh" instead of singing), if it brings someone somewhere happiness, entertainment or even solace, it deserves to exist.

Sorry if that sounds like preachy virtue signalling, hope you all know I'm not like that, it's honestly what I think.
    See as a reformed high-pretention music-nazi, I really do agree with this. But man does it take a lot of strength to stick to it in context of the Lighthouse Family. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27139
    Coldplay were excellent at their best and remain a phenomenal live band. 

Dido is a little bit better than LH. At the very least there's her sampled bit in Eminem's Stan

I usually put M People in the same bucket as LH, though I know that's unfair as at least it's more danceable, and Heather Small is a powerhouse
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 292
    Perhaps Lighthouse Family fall into the category of "offensively inoffensive". When something becomes so anodyne, featureless and unremarkable that your brain struggles to get any kind of traction with it and you begin to begrudge the mental effort involved. 
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2606
    Philly_Q said:
    Any mention of the Lighthouse Family immediately makes me think of The Christians.  I'm sure it's possible to tell them apart if you listen back-to-back, but in my mind they're completely indistinguishable pap.  Sliced white bread music, with the crusts cut off.
    A big difference is that The Christians were trying to address social issues in their lyrics, which possibly went over the heads of casual listeners who just like the tunes.
    I met The Christians when a band I was in played on the same bill. We were bottom of the bill in a three band concert and they were in the middle. 

They were great blokes, super friendly and no egos. A sharp contrast to some other artists I’ve met in similar circumstances. 
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11805
    DiscoStu said:
    Christ you'd microwave Dido and the Lighthouse Family?

Harsh punishment for being dull! :lol:
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4191
    Stuff like ,Sam Smith, lumineers , elbow , & them trust fund worzels who stamp their feet on the floor, & kings of Leon & them who sing ruby ruby ruby ruby
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    them trust fund worzels who stamp their feet on the floor
     =) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    Coldplay were excellent at their best and remain a phenomenal live band. 

Dido is a little bit better than LH. At the very least there's her sampled bit in Eminem's Stan

I usually put M People in the same bucket as LH, though I know that's unfair as at least it's more danceable, and Heather Small is a powerhouse
    I like most Coldplay - although not the first album really, they're a band who got better as they went on - and Dido. Not at all like the Lighthouse Family.

Heather Small always sounds like she's forgotten to take the lollipop out of her mouth before she starts singing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11805
    ICBM said:

Heather Small always sounds like she's forgotten to take the lollipop out of her mouth before she starts singing.
    That's not a lollipop...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9827
    edited April 28
    She always sounded like a singing goose to me

Do people who sing like that also talk like that?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    She always sounded like a singing goose to me

I always thought Ronan Keating honked rather than singing.