Summerhouse guitar?

What's Hot
mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 191
Bit of a random first world problem..

I work from a summer house in the garden, I usually take a guitar out with me , but out of sheer laziness I’m looking at picking up a cheap strat-ish guitar to leave in there all the time.

so, my initial thought was a jet js300 or similar due to the roasted neck, I’ve been unable to find a used one which has sent me down a eBay rabbit hole (along with the cheap thread) and looking at old (and prob overpriced squiers)

so the question is, would standard Maple neck guitar survive the hot /cold? 

Also if anyone has something cheapest they’re looking to move on let me know! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4172
    I’d look for something with a multi-ply/laminate neck really, but roasted maple would be a good start. There'll be some major temperature shifts in there though so I'd expect it to effect any neck you choose - don't plan on a consistently low action!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11993
    I'd go for something made from carbon fibre.  Not everything made from carbon is expensive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    The Jet JS300 that we bought for our 16 year old lives in the loft extension which gets pretty toasty and it seems to be holding up OK 
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 297
    Offset said:
    I'd go for something made from carbon fibre.  Not everything made from carbon is expensive.
    Good idea. 
    @Maak has a Parker Nitefly listed here which fits the need. Not cheap but not crazy. 
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3305
    pt22 said:
    Offset said:
    Good idea. 

@Maak has a Parker Nitefly listed here which fits the need. Not cheap but not crazy. 
    Nitefly M is a big old lump of mahogany.
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1890
    I have both the Jet strat type and the tele type and the neck on the strat is fantastic. Even though the neck is a bit too skinny for me it is fantastic. The tele is not something I am comfortable with though. Around 170 pounds for each is good value though.
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 297
    pt22 said:
    Offset said:
    Good idea. 

Nitefly M is a big old lump of mahogany. Yet critically the neck has carbon fibre support/exosceleton. 

I should know. It was mine. :)
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3305
    edited May 7
    pt22 said:
    pt22 said:
    Offset said:
    Good idea. 

Nitefly M is a big old lump of mahogany. Yet critically the neck has carbon fibre support/exosceleton. 

I should know. It was mine. 

Great guitar...I had one for eight years back in the 00s 1 
  • AlunAlun Frets: 125
    Check out the Enya Novo Go Sonic - all carbon fiber guitar with a bunch of smart features and even a built in speaker with effects. Not one for traditionalists but it's very affordable and would be much more resistant to the elements. 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3753
    A contrary view which may well get me banned or, if I’m lucky, just a spell in the cooler. Will you be happy with a “second-rate” guitar? I assume you’ve got some decent instruments in the “big house”?

If it were me I’d always be thinking I’d rather be playing one of my favourites rather than something that’s a compromise. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Alun said:
    Check out the Enya Novo Go Sonic - all carbon fiber guitar with a bunch of smart features and even a built in speaker with effects. Not one for traditionalists but it's very affordable and would be much more resistant to the elements. 
    Good shout - that's the guitar I was thinking of.  Andre Fludd did a review of it recently and it's very informative.

• mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 191
    drofluf said:
    A contrary view which may well get me banned or, if I’m lucky, just a spell in the cooler. Will you be happy with a “second-rate” guitar? I assume you’ve got some decent instruments in the “big house”?

If it were me I’d always be thinking I’d rather be playing one of my favourites rather than something that’s a compromise. 
    It’s a fair drofluf said:

It’s a fair point, I’m still pondering …but I’ll prob do it just as a lesson if nothing else :-) 
  • JRgtarJRgtar Frets: 20
    What about an acoustic? There’s Martins with laminate necks that must be pretty stable in varying temperatures. 

Alternatively, keeping an electric in a case would shield it from some of the variation.
    JRgtar said:
    What about an acoustic? There’s Martins with laminate necks that must be pretty stable in varying temperatures. 

Alternatively, keeping an electric in a case would shield it from some of the variation.
    It’s a good point but I think I’m set on a cheapy electric , just to be more versatile .. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27690
    mrleon83 said:

I work from a summer house in the garden, I usually take a guitar out with me , but out of sheer laziness I’m looking at picking up a cheap strat-ish guitar to leave in there all the time.

How many miles is your walk to the summerhouse?
    ;)

You buy a cheapo beater to leave out there, decide it doesn’t play as nicely as one of your others all the way back in the house, so you don’t ever feel like picking up the cheapo beater and it sits in the corner, ignored.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2467
    edited May 7
    I'm with @TTony , this sounds like a non-issue. 

I love how the solution to a short walk with a guitar is to spend £1000 on a Parker. 

Unless this is actually a case of "I quite fancy a new guitar and need to invent a reason to buy it", in which case carry on (we all do it, nothing wrong with it at all provided you can afford it etc)
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 7
    ^^ Steady on son!
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11975
    my summerhouse gets up to 35-40C sometimes, for hours unless I open the windows.
    I'm not sure that's OK for any guitar
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18989
    my summerhouse gets up to 35-40C sometimes, for hours unless I open the windows.
    I'm not sure that's OK for any guitar
    I'm pretty sure that isn't OK for humans, much less guitars.
    strtdv said:
    I'm with @TTony , this sounds like a non-issue. 

I love how the solution to a short walk with a guitar is to spend £1000 on a Parker. 

Unless this is actually a case of "I quite fancy a new guitar and need to invent a reason to buy it", in which case carry on (we all do it, nothing wrong with it at all provided you can afford it etc)
    Oh man, I think you may have hit on something additional to sheer laziness (it’s about 50 meter walk from the back door)

I have a dimarzio air Norton hanging about , I also have a hankering for a throw around stratish guitar :-)