Any Man fans?

What's Hot
boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
edited November 2014 in Music
I always rated Mickey Jones as one of the best guitarists around. Such a shame he died so relatively young and so sadly under rated by the public. Deke Leonard has never really been the same since his strokes either.

BUT...... Mickey's son George is out touring with a band called Son of Man and they are doing a superb job of resurrecting Man material like Bananas, Romaine, Call down the moon, C'Mon and the glorious freak out of Spunk Rock. Highly recommended.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Crumbs ! A veritable rocket from the crypt, but yes, partial to them and a bit of Gentle Giant now and again !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    I know George...really nice guy
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    Have a wisdom, dear boy, I have been lauding Mickey Jones in these very pages for ages.

If you want to talk about "the best guitarist you've never heard of" he would rank right up there, a magnificent musician. Many times I saw Man and asked myself two questions - "how did he do that?" and "can he do it again?".

There's been a bit more Man stuff posted on youtube recently, but it's a bummer to search for as "Man" gives too many results.

And whilst we're at it, have you read any of Deke Leanoard's books? Great stuff, the man can write. Anyone who refers to the person who stole his Tele as "an ulcerous fuckdog" is okay with me.
  • There was a thread on Mumsnet with the exact same title as this..... got some pretty brutal responses, I must say.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    One of the Bass Players I play with is actually in a side project with George (Micky's son) and he says that its quite spooky at times how close to Micky playing-wise George is..
  • There was a thread on Mumsnet with the exact same title as this..... got some pretty brutal responses, I must say.

I was going to say ' but the one on the grinder forum had a much more positive response' but then it turns out there is a grinder forum and it's about coffee so that would make no sense, potential homophobia aside. :o3
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    @welshboyo. Yup, he's very very close to his dad's style of playing. It was even weirder hearing the exact double of Mickey's guitar tone as George has had Mickey's SG sorted out and played it at the gig, together with Mickey's natural finish Strat.

@scrumhalf. I bought Rhinos, Winos and Lunatics at one of Deke's gigs. Great book, I must read some more of his stuff.

• @scrumhalf. I bought Rhinos, Winos and Lunatics at one of Deke's gigs. Great book, I must read some more of his stuff.

I've read that a few times......fantastic tales,still listen to Man on a regular basis,how can you not!!!!

His other two books are pretty good as well, and I think a fourth book is about to appear.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22822

Having grown up in Swansea I always thought I should investigate Man's albums, but somehow I never did.  Any recommendations for a good place to start?

edited November 2014
    There's a very good live album of their early stuff, Man Alive, that has the full version of their classic anthem Spunk Rock recorded at the Roundhouse.

Studio albums: try Back into the future, Call down the moon, Rhinos Winos and Lunatics and Slow Motion. All good stuff.
    I have to admit that I always found their studio albums a bit tame, compared to the at times quite brilliant live band I saw.

The live at Reading CD is quite good. There's a lot more stuff on Youtube now, have a pick at that and see what appeals.
  • Rumour is that the Son of Man drummer is in line for Phil Rudds job in ac/dc...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22822

I couldn't find any of their stuff on Spotify so I resorted to YouTube.

Sounded pretty good, but I must admit I got distracted by some old UFO clips on the same page and spent ages watching those instead....

Moe_Zambeek;404425" said:
    Rumour is that the Son of Man drummer is in line for Phil Rudds job in ac/dc...
    Yup, apparently he's in the video for their single, so the rumours may well be true.
  • necrobumping this thread and calling @boogieman @Philly_Q @Neckwringer @Moe_Zambeek @scrumhalf @welshboyo and @Jalapeno for the sake of sharing some epic 8 minute Man 

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6683
    Philly_Q said:

Having grown up in Swansea I always thought I should investigate Man's albums, but somehow I never did.  Any recommendations for a good place to start?

Live at the Padget Rooms Penarth. 
    They misspelled "Paget" as Padget but we don't care. I'm from Penarth and played at that venue loads of times as a teenager! 
    necrobumping this thread and calling @boogieman @Philly_Q @Neckwringer @Moe_Zambeek @scrumhalf @welshboyo and @Jalapeno for the sake of sharing some epic 8 minute Man 

Cheers for that, don’t think I’ve seen that before. It proves a couple of things:
    Mickey was a fabulous guitarist.
    The band were always better with Deke. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    What a fabulous band they were, what I always thought a proper rock band should be!  I had Man Alive and Back Into The Future when they came out, and learnt loads of stuff from them.  I still use the riff from "Bananas" as a warm-up!

In 1973 I went to Llanelli to audition for an up-and-coming band called Thank You, who were very clearly inspired by Man - sadly I didn't get the gig.  I wonder what happened to them?

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6060
    One of my faves, live from Roundhouse -

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom