RotM #4 - and the winner is ...

What's Hot
Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
edited December 2014 in Making Music
Steamabacus!

Well done that man! great riff.

Awesome job by everyone that entered keep up the good work.

Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Blimey! I wasn't keeping count and wasn't expecting that.

Thanks everyone.
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Well done Mr steamabacus!
  • congrats @steamabacus
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27574
    Nice one @steamabacus

Next ......
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Well done Sir.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Well done Steamabacus
  • How do you even get a guitar to sound like that?! Frickin' cool man, well in :)
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    edited December 2014
    Cheers again , chaps.

How do you even get a guitar to sound like that?! Frickin' cool man, well in :)
     @ThePrettyDamned   Years and years of dru ..... erm ... drudgery! Drudgery of endless, practice. Yeah, that's it.  ;)

In short, delays and looping.

My 'delay board' has 4 delays on it including a DL4 for looping and I've recently upgraded to a JamMan SoloXT as well, which frees up the DL4 to be used as a delay more often. The main riff/phrase will have at least 3 delays on it - one will be a subtle single-repeat analogue delay (my Arion SAD-1 which I leave on 99% of the time) and one will usually be my Flashback on a 'ducking' tape-delay (the Steffen Schackinger basic toneprint - who? No, me neither) which doesn't 'clog up' the soundscape too much. I will use my old DD-3 (which isn't tap tempo) or the DL4 on a MemoryMan setting for more ambient lushness.

On the loop above, I have some backwards looping going on - one of the strengths of the DL4 over even more recent/powerful loopers is the ease with which you can flip the loop into reverse/half-speed, layer up more parts, flip back again, etc.

I also use a volume pedal a lot to control the attack of the notes to record 'pad' parts behind a riff and this track also bears the tell-tale 'psychedelicised' ( © The Chambers Brothers 1966 ) sound of my much-loved old Boss PH-1r phaser. Much lushness.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    @steamabacus .. really cool riff .. now develop it into a full song/track ... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    Good work. Cracking riff mate.
  • steamabacus;433877" said:
    Cheers again , chaps.

ThePrettyDamned said:

How do you even get a guitar to sound like that?! Frickin' cool man, well in :)

@ThePrettyDamned  

Years and years of dru ..... erm ... drudgery! Drudgery of endless, practice. Yeah, that's it.  ;)

In short, delays and looping.

My 'delay board' has 4 delays on it including a DL4 for looping and I've recently upgraded to a JamMan SoloXT as well, which frees up the DL4 to be used as a delay more often. The main riff/phrase will have at least 3 delays on it - one will be a subtle single-repeat analogue delay (my Arion SAD-1 which I leave on 99% of the time) and one will usually be my Flashback on a 'ducking' tape-delay (the Steffen Schackinger basic toneprint - who? No, me neither) which doesn't 'clog up' the soundscape too much. I will use my old DD-3 (which isn't tap tempo) or the DL4 on a MemoryMan setting for more ambient lushness.

On the loop above, I have some backwards looping going on - one of the strengths of the DL4 over even more recent/powerful loopers is the ease with which you can flip the loop into reverse/half-speed, layer up more parts, flip back again, etc.

I also use a volume pedal a lot to control the attack of the notes to record 'pad' parts behind a riff and this track also bears the tell-tale 'psychedelicised' ( © The Chambers Brothers 1966 ) sound of my much-loved old Boss PH-1r phaser. Much lushness.

The ph1! That's what I could hear.

I thought it was an auto wah of some kind.

Now, I need more delays... And a ph1r. :) Thanks for the explanation - I listened again and I can't quite pinpoint it all, it meshes together so well!