Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Affairs of the Heart

What's Hot
Ok when I was 17 (1991) and earnt my first pay check working in Tesco I went to a guitar shop in Yeovil that our very own @Koneguitarist used run.

There I bought my first "real" electric guitar. A bright red Epiphone SG with a bolt on neck!!!

I bloody loved that guitar and it's what I learnt all my Gilmour solos on, really I learnt my craft on that guitar, even though by today's standards it was a crock of shite. I remember going off to uni a few years later with it over my shoulder with my little park amp in tow and spent many a drunken, stoned night playing and "writing" songs in the halls of residence.

When I graduated and cleared all my gear out my missis came up with her car to help. I walked out of my halls with the ol' SG slung round my neck so I could carry more bags and the amp. At the car park the strap failed and the SG crashed onto the Tarmac body First in the area where a jack socket is on a les Paul. I was mortified but my missed matched up the colour (roughly) with one if her nail varnishes and we patched her up until I sold it in about '97 to buy more drums. I sold it to a guy in a Weymouth guitar shop for £90 - and never really though about it again

Until today

When I walked into my local shop and on the 2nd hand wall was a bright lipstick red Epiphone SG, just like my old one. I took it down to see how it felt and as I flipped it over.......

Well you can guess, a familiar nail varnish repair plus the extra washers on the Jack socket that my dad fitted to stop it coming loose

She has returned. However the shop wanted £140 for it which as I recall was £30 more than I paid for it new in 1991!!

I know the owner so well that if I hit him up with back story he'd probably let me have it for what it owes him (which knowing the way he does business will be fuck all)

Am I stupid for wanting what is essential a very mediocre guitar back which I know I will only store away..............
0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nah, not stupid at all - that guitar's got a lot of memories for you. I'd buy it back and turn it into a little project - maybe keep it as your "couch" guitar? :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7791
    I'm amazed you didn't bring it home with you.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Buy it immediately.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3331
    edited December 2014
    Snap it up, I don't believe in fate etc but the coinky dink here can't be overlooked. Buy it, enjoy it, relive the memories and then if need be sell it on again
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Sentimental value doesn't equate to pounds and pence. Go for it!
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Go back and get it...

If you're unsure on what to do - just think how pissed off would you be if you went in and it was gone... and act accordingly...  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited December 2014
    What they all said. See if you can get a deal and bring it home.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27105
    edited December 2014
    That's fuck all money. Buy it!

After 23 years of inflation that £110 is now £220 or so, so 140 is a bargain ;)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27610
    What are you doing reading this.

Get off the bloody Internet, get back to the shop, and BUY IT.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • We need pictures of the reunion!

I think I've got something in my eye....
  • stickyfiddle;454224" said:
    That's fuck all money. Buy it!

After 23 years of inflation that £110 is now £220 or so, so 140 is a bargain ;)
    If I can get it sub £100 I'll have it
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I wish I still had my Marlin Sidewinder (is that what they were called?) so I could give to The (eldest) Boy this Christmas. It was shit. But it 'was'. 

As it stands he's getting an Argos Fender jobby until his (mine) partsa is done.

Get yer arse back there and get it bought.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    I'd buy it even at the £140, and even though that is too much for one of those in that condition.

I recently spent twice what it was worth to get another Aria RS Standard just like my first one from halfway round the world, and it's not even the same guitar!

They are not actually that bad as guitars, although the pickups are poor.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• @Travisthedog The Rock and Pop shop I remember it well. ;)
  • It has "indie" branded pups in it now @icbm

I've facebooked the shop owner
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    It has "indie" branded pups in it now @icbm
    lol… not sure the originals wouldn't have been better!

No problem. Just get some Oil Citys or something. The first thing I did with my Aria was ditch the crap stock pickups (even though I said I wouldn't mod it - they were just too bad) and fit a set of Bill Lawrences.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    What an amazing story.
    You owe it to yourself to go and get it back.
    If you can do it tomorrow it will be a very special Christmas Present !

Good for you man.

:)
  • He's saying it's still there and he's prepared to discuss a price!!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    With a set of good pickups you'll be surprised as to how good it will sound. A proper fret dress and stone will get the best out of the neck.

Why do I say this? I just did *exactly* this to a friend's identical Epi SG. I was amazed as to how good it has turned out... Oh and it now has a Bigsby on a Vibramate too. He never sold this, his first guitar. But it was involved in a few stage diving incidents and it is SEVERELY battered. I have had to dowel and redrill the neck bolts as it was as loose as a hooker's... morals.

So I say do it. Financially it makes no sense but this is a hobby and really a hobby shouldn't make sense to the outside world.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• koneguitarist;454240" said:
    @Travisthedog The Rock and Pop shop I remember it well. ;)
    You may well have sold it to me mate !!