Ampmaker P1800 footswitch mod: done

What's Hot
FatfingersFatfingers Frets: 500
edited August 2016 in Making & Modding
Those of you that have built this amp – have you considered making the two inputs foot switchable? Seems to me this would be a great way of getting a boost for lead work.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I guess that's a no, then. Well, I've ordered one of those little Weber switching boards, so will report back once I've got it installed.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3073
    edited December 2014
    I emailed Ampmaker (I'm working nights and am foggy headed, so bear with!) asking if I could A/B between inputs on one of his amps, Im pretty sure it was the P1800 to give faux two channels/lead boost, and he replied that it would not work....I think its to do with the way the inputs are wired, dunno if it could be modded, but Ampmaker offered no suggestions, so perhaps with this design its not possible......drop Ampmaker an email, he is very helpful.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• I can't really see why it wouldn't be possible. After all, there are two inputs. If you can physically select them by pulling the jack out of one and putting it in the other, it should be possible to do the same thing with a relay.
  • Fatfingers;462165" said:
    I can't really see why it wouldn't be possible. After all, there are two inputs. If you can physically select them by pulling the jack out of one and putting it in the other, it should be possible to do the same thing with a relay.
    I think one input cascades into the other though, which might stop this working.
  • Yes, I think you're right that one cascades into the other. But I don't see why that can't be done with a relay?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10458

You can mod it you just need to mimic the action of the switched jacks as well as the input into the first valve. So if input One is empty pin 1 and 2 are shorted and 3 and 4 are shorted for example. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969;462669" said:
    You can mod it you just need to mimic the action of the switched jacks as well as the input into the first valve. So if input One is empty pin 1 and 2 are shorted and 3 and 4 are shorted for example. 
    Yeah - that's what I thought. I'm going to give it a go. I'll report back when I've done it.
  • FatfingersFatfingers Frets: 500
    edited January 2015
    Blimey

Can anyone help with this? I have a little DPDT relay board ready to go, but I'm struggling to get my head round the schematic required to replace the two input jacks with one input jack, and the relay.

• Here it is as standard. The top jack is the Normal input, which feeds into the second half of the ECC83 preamp valve. The lower one is the Hot input, which feeds into the first half of the valve, the output of which is then fed back into second half.

• Okay. Do we think this will work? I can't see the need to switch the input of the Hot gain stage to ground when using the normal input, as its output is isolated when the Normal channel is selected.

• MistergMisterg Frets: 353
    Okay. Do we think this will work? I can't see the need to switch the input of the Hot gain stage to ground when using the normal input, as its output is isolated when the Normal channel is selected.

I think that should work - I would switch the 1st stage input to ground though. Just good practice. (All you need to do is ground the N.C. terminal up in the top left.)
  • Yes. Certainly can't hurt.
    Okay - a mere 18 months later I've finally got round to making this mod. With the hot channel selected via the switch that controls the little Weber relay board, I have the hot channel. But with the normal channel selected, I have zilch. Nada. Sod all. Can someone cleverer than me please have a look at the circuit and suggest what the problem is?
    Eek. If the combined wisdom of The Fretboard can't help, I'm in unchartered territory!
    I've sussed it. Will post details and pics tomorrow.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3073
    Good news!

Can I ask your overall impressions of the Amp? Giggable?

Ive already built the little WF 55 and would never get rid........
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

edited August 2016
    I absolutely love it. Yes - it's giggbale, certainly. I have two Vintage 30s in mine, which are pretty efficient speakers so it goes plenty loud enough. And with the foot switchable channels it's even more useable.

Here is the channel switch board installed.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Well done - your perseverence is an inspiration!
    Thanks, but I didn't have a lot of choice but to persevere – this is currently the only amp I own!