The Guitar Show 2015 after-show - 28th February

What's Hot
IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
edited February 2015 in Off Topic

Right, this'll be the official thread for anything to do with this event!

For anyone who hasn't clocked it in the FB thread about the Guitar Show, we'll be getting together in the function room of

The Old Royal, Church Street, Birmingham B3 2DP 

from about six o'clock on the Saturday night (28th of February), for drinking, nattering, jamming and general debauchery. For those staying in the Jewellery Quarter it's less than a half-mile walk (it IS drivable / cab-able, but with the one-way systems and traffic control it would probably take longer than walking); for those staying city centre it's on the north-west side of the city, just before the A38 behind Snow Hill station. Map:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/bloc+hotel,+Caroline+Street,+Birmingham/Birmingham+B3+2DP,+UK/@52.4840972,-1.9047024,17z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4870bced15dfc4b7:0x7e648d364b720cff!2m2!1d-1.907995!2d52.486097!1m5!1m1!1s0x4870bc8dbe48938b:0x5004819539fc5827!2m2!1d-1.9014742!2d52.4832118!3e2

The pub does food at fairly reasonable prices (EDIT: but not after five pm for some reason, don't bank on getting your dinner there!) and will be serving booze until 11. If anyone wants a few more drinkies after that the Actress and Bishop is just over the A38 bridge on the way out to the Jewellery Quarter, decent little music-oriented late-night bar. The one downside of it being in quite a respectable area of Brum (such as there is one; it's the 'business district') is a bit of a dearth of late-night fried filth outlets, might be a bit of a trek out of your way for after-jam kebabage if that's your thing.

Right, for the aftershow itself - at the moment I'm torn between bringing my electronic drum kit and a subwoofer (so that we can control jamming volume and keep the licensee happy) or going all-out and using an acoustic kit; I'll update when I've made a decision. I'll also be providing a PA system and bass amp, as well as likely a basic SS guitar amp (Fender Studio Pro) and associated pedals an' ting.

Being an endorsee (plug, plug) I'll drag down a Vintage VJ74 bass, V880 electro-acoustic and V100 LP-alike as well as 'house instruments' - if anyone else is bringing guitars / amps that they don't mind other people having a go of do let us know! If we're looking to be short of amps I'm sure I can blag one or two for the night from somewhere.

It's been suggested (and I agree) that it might be a good idea to pre-arrange some songs that people might want to do together to avoid the potential never-ending 12-bar-in-A - for last year's event I knocked up a few books full of 'cheat sheets' for a couple of dozen tunes, if I can find them I'll hammer a list up here in case anything takes your fancy. If you're after volunteers to do whatever tune you fancy, fish for collaborators here...

I also play bass and drums (and sing, ish) so feel free to collar me for active duty on those; as long as I'm kept supplied with fluids I'll play all night ;) I know that @jonnybradford is also a shit-hot bass player who'll be happy to cover a few too. If you're up for helping others out on bass / drums / vocals, volunteer here!

I think that's about it - the aftershow will be kind of 'exclusive' (i.e. members of the Fretboard and show organisers / exhibitors, chiefly), so if anyone's got mates who're local and might want to pop down or anything like that give me a heads-up. Looking forward to seeing you all in six weeks or so...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I will be there with........

Peavey Solo 130 Amplifier

Zoom G3 Based pedalboard - programmed patches for simplicity

Feline Modified Telecaster

I'm happy for anyone to use my set up if cared for but please do enjoy yourselves playing it !

I would like to play guitar and sing on.......

Keep on Rockin in the Free World - Neil Young
    Roadhouse Blues - The Doors
    Ghost riders in the Sky - Spiderbait

I'm happy to play guitar to back up anyone else if they want me to and i can play bass if needed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27824
    Stickied

:)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Cheers Tony! Right, tunes I have ready-made cheat sheets for:

Honky Tonk Women (Rolling Stones)

Mama Weer All Crazee Now (Slade)

Highway To Hell (AC/DC)

Crazy Crazy Nights (Kiss)

Paranoid (Sabbath)

Cocaine (Clapton)

Rock 'n' Roll Star (Oasis)

Whole Lotta Rosie (AC/DC)

20th Century Boy (T-Rex)

Gimme All Your Lovin' (ZZ Top)

Pretty Vacant (Sex Pistols)

The '59 Sound (I'm doing that one if anyone fancies backing me! - Gaslight Anthem)

The Boys Are Back In Town (Thin Lizzy)

Wanted (Dead or Alive) (Bon Jovi)

Rocket Queen (Guns 'n' Roses)

I might add some more over the next few weeks - also, I have a musician-oriented quiz already written if we fancy taking twenty minutes during the evening to stretch our brains, I'll see if I can tap some companies for prizes if anyone's interested! 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Right ... Slightly surprised at the lack of responses to this thread, so im going to try a cunning plan of de-sticky-ing it and see if that helps. Some peeps don't bother with the stickies 'cos they're all just rules 'n' stuff.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I'm coming to the show guys, but not sure about the night do

It's my bday on the Sunday, so will want to get back home to baby/family.  Tis a shame though, this is the closest meetup for me (bring N.Wales) folk.  Plus, staying over, makes the whole ordeal a lot more costly.

I hope it's a great night though, pics or it didn't happen
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I dont really play covers, but I'll happily bring my wave drum along and do percussion?
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I can also bring spare guitars or basses if you need them
    mrchi said:
    I dont really play covers, but I'll happily bring my wave along ?
    I love groupies !!!

:)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Planning on being there, any idea about reasonably priced hotels near the Guitar Show/ After Show Do?

I'll need to bring my own guitar as I'm allergic to those Nickel strings the rest of you use! Haven't played live since the Beagle-fest in Walsall many moons ago though so we'll have to see if I actually do anything ;) I could probably sit in on something and noodle along badly!
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    Planning on being there, any idea about reasonably priced hotels near the Guitar Show/ After Show Do?

I'll need to bring my own guitar as I'm allergic to those Nickel strings the rest of you use! Haven't played live since the Beagle-fest in Walsall many moons ago though so we'll have to see if I actually do anything ;) I could probably sit in on something and noodle along badly!
    Bloc Hotel

£44 per night

Looking forward to seeing you man !
  • You said that to me but it came up as 55 or 60 a night for me :s
    TravelLodge had some good deals too - £30/£40 for the night ...
  • I'd love to come along to the evening do. Is there some secure storage where I could leave a guitar? I'm not leaving it in the car and I don't want to carry it around the show all Saturday.
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5057
    edited January 2015
    You said that to me but it came up as 55 or 60 a night for me :s
    £44 on a Sunday night. Just cost me £56:70 for the Saturday, which I have booked! And a ticket for the Guitar Show on Saturday and train tickets (which were a pretty cheap £20 from the Trainline)

So I guess that confirms me as a definite attendee :D
  • Just need to decide which theFB T-shirt to wear now ;)
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Go topless and write it on your chest!

Anyone who turns up at the stand wearing a theFB t-shirt gets a special - free - gift!
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319

Seem to remember you play a bit of bass as well? You're safe with mine, nylon tape-wounds - be good to see you man! 
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I'll be there with bells on :D looking forward to it. i might even wear bells.

I can bring a ce22 and a mesa transatlantic, don't mind others using it.

@Alnico you have a PM dude.