[RAW] RotM #3 - Chat

Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
edited May 2015 in Making Music
Hey everyone welcome to our new RAW RotM Challenge!

This is the 3rd RAW Riff of the Month (RotM) Challenge, being run by @Antique_Guitars and @TTony.

RAW is different to the other riff challenge because you are only allowed to submit recordings with one layer of guitar and no other sounds, this is all about one amazing riff and nothing else.

The challenge is now open, and remains open for submissions until 24th May

All you have to do is ...
Write a single guitar riff.
Keep it to a maximum of 50 seconds.
Challenge opens on the 1st of every month, and closes on the 24th of the month.
Voting opens on the 25th of the month, and closes on the last day of the month, when the winner will be announced.
Let us know if you would like your entry to be anonymous.
Send your tracks to riffs@theFB.co.uk

The tracks will be uploaded to our SoundCloud account and saved in a playlist that will be linked below

PLEASE GIVE CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK ON PEOPLES RIFFS AND RECORDING TECHNIQUES IF YOU HAVE TIME
Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited May 2015
    Email'd.

I was experimenting with this one.  I was listening to Van Halen's Balance yesterday and I love Eddie's tone on that album.  I remember reading that he used an Eventide Harmonizer to get the micro pitch shifting in his WDW rig and I thought about how I could recreate that.  Basically, I recorded the track bone dry on the iPad and imported it into Logic three times.  I used Ed's settings and used -9 cents on one track, +9 on another track and just left the centre one normal.  I also used a 250ms delay on one track and 500ms delay on the other and added some reverb to the centre track.  I didn't turn out too bad, but I would probably take the mix of the detune down a little.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    I actually played some guitar and recorded a riff tonight...

I was working on another riff and was working on the next bit...this was the next bit and this riff sounds better than the other thing i was working on.

Amazing how much growl i can get out the fender blues deluxe with a little help from a klone!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27474
    COME ON, COME ON, COME ON ... get those uncooked riffs done & entered.

Simple as you like, easy as can be.

:)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • kinkin Frets: 1015

Rawer than a tigers supper but I sent one in anyway

Received and added to the playlist @kin - thanks

:)
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Just emailed mine in.
    edited May 2015
    @daveww - I don't see it in the inbox??

Riffs@thefb.co.uk?

[edit]
    Just ignore me ... I was having "a moment"!
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    TTony said:
    @daveww - I don't see it in the inbox??

Riffs@thefb.co.uk?

[edit]
    Just ignore me ... I was having "a moment"!
    Okydoky :-)
  • Hope fully get something done in next couple of days. Been so busy this month. Apologies.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    OK I finally entered RotM! Strat bridge pickup, Strymon Timeline, recorded direct into Tascam DR-100.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    edited May 2015
    Entry emailed in. First thing that came into my head, stream of consciousness type of thing.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Email'd.

I was experimenting with this one.  I was listening to Van Halen's Balance yesterday and I love Eddie's tone on that album.  I remember reading that he used an Eventide Harmonizer to get the micro pitch shifting in his WDW rig and I thought about how I could recreate that.  Basically, I recorded the track bone dry on the iPad and imported it into Logic three times.  I used Ed's settings and used -9 cents on one track, +9 on another track and just left the centre one normal.  I also used a 250ms delay on one track and 500ms delay on the other and added some reverb to the centre track.  I didn't turn out too bad, but I would probably take the mix of the detune down a little.
    This sounds bloody awesome and it's a great riff. Maybe stretching the spirit of the 'raw riff' a bit though :)
    edited May 2015
    mellowsun said:
    Email'd.

This sounds bloody awesome and it's a great riff. Maybe stretching the spirit of the 'raw riff' a bit though :)
    I agree. That sounds like a 'Riff of the Month' entry to me. (When I say 'sounds like', I've not listened to the actual recording yet, just the description)
  • Has anyones entry not been uploaded yet?
    Old Is Gold
  • entry closed
    Old Is Gold
    edited May 2015
    Has anyones entry not been uploaded yet?
    Mine hasn't yet.

[edit] I notice on SoundCloud I can see my RotM entry has been uploaded but not this Raw RotM.
  • Oh ok I'll upload it later darling
    Old Is Gold

;;)