Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Monterey Pop Strat build thread.

What's Hot
PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
edited September 2015 in Making & Modding
Following this thread (Monterey Pop Waterslide graphics), I had a bit of a 'bee in my bonnet' about how I could get a decent Monterey Pop inspired Strat.

The initial plan was to source a Strat body, get it painted (by the very talented @lamf68) up to the pre clear layer, get it posted back, I'd get a local arty friend to paint it by hand, then ship it back to Rich to get it clear coated.

With a price for the spraying agreed, I sourced a Strat body from here, very rough round the edges, but a decent price with the bridge etc..

I got this shipped over to Rich and then started looking out for a neck, before even trying to see what was around, I pinged a message to @GSPBASSES as luck would have it, he had two Strat necks available

The obvious downside (for this build) were the big headstocks, Grahame was confident he could get it to the 'normal' shape, so I picked neck 2 (22 fret top adjustable truss rod), Grahame worked his magic and adjusted the headstock

Neck paid for, I then ordered up the vintage yellow Wudtone kit (after posting on here for examples of it being used).

In the middle of this, myself and Rich were talking via email and he fancied having a go at doing the Monterey graphics, the original plan was to free hand, then Rich saw the graphics I'd done and we went back to the waterslide route, but with the colour sections hand painted in (so the blues would show up properly.

So, graphics sent to Rich, also bought a new scratch plate and some paint from the Warhammer shop in Watford (I thought model paint might be a good bet, not sure Rich agrees now :D ) - check out the names! lol

So, with Rich starting to prep the body, I got on with the neck, heres the first shot to show the contrast between the plain maple and the first coat of vintage yellow (I apply Wudtone very thin)

Fast forward a few steps, I ordered up a Waterslide decal, applied and applied more clear, here's the neck finished

Close up of the decal

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    edited September 2015
    @lamf68 being the perfectionist that he is, has painted this body about 6 times until he was happy with the right period red :)

Then came the schemantics of how to get the white burst over the red (as per the original) without too much, or too little overspray, the end results speak for themselves though :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2015
    With the body nearly ready, it was time to deal with the graphics. I'd been doing some more googling whilst Rich was doing all the hard work and found an eBay auction selling a spray paint template for Monterey Pop graphics, it was for a variation on the design, but I loved the idea of it, as did Rich once I sent him the link.

So, we got in contact with a vinyl graphics place and I gave my self a crash course in Illustrator, I generated templates for paint from the graphics I had for the waterslides. After a bit of messing about (think it took around 2 weeks, with them sending the complete opposite of what we wanted template wise first) with the graphics company, we finally got the templates.

The vinyl supplied was not the low tack stuff we asked for, but the stickiest sticky stuff known to man, after exchanging a few ideas about how best to get this vinyl accurately in place, Rich went for it

We were now past the point of no return, we only had the one set, the paint went on

Thankfully, the planning worked out :) - This is how things looked after Rich wrestled the sticky sticky vinyl off (you can see all the goop it left behind)

After letting the paint dry, the body and plate were then cleaned up to remove the goop

Look how clean those lines are :D

Next.. the colouring in! (more on this to follow later :) )
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Really rather top notch!
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So, with solid black lines in place, colouring in time.

I was toying with the idea of ordering some 'inverse' templates (basically the lines that have already been painted) to give something to colour into, but Rich cracked on by hand. I suspect my name is mud in the Rendall household as the previously mentioned 'nerd troll paint' is hard work, coupled with the fact that there are some very tight lines to paint between.

Coat one however is now complete and things are really starting to come to life :)

The body and pick guard together :)

That's it for now, next steps are another couple of individual colour coats then once complete a coat or two of clear on top. Once done it's back to me to get the guitar built up.

Tonight, I've ordered the neck plate, plastics and wiring kit.

Yet to decide on pickups, I think an email to @TheGuitarWeasel is in order, got a real fancy for something like Bare Knuckle 'Mothers Milk' pickups, so open to suggestions :)

Next update on here once the clear is done.
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    Pics not showing on iPad.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Showing on my iPad :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyjrJookyjr Frets: 870
    I can see them and they are awesome. You did use flammable paint? :)

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Brilliant stuff!
    All practice and no theory
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Jookyjr;786031" said:
    Yer on ya game kiddo!!! :)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited September 2015
    Have a Wow!
    Christ* on a bike, that is awesome!........

*Other Religious icons are available.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Wow, that's fantastic!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• That isounds unbelievable!

Where did you get your decal from?
  • That's fecking brilliant. Though I'm slightly disappointed you didn't just use sharpies ;)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    That's gonna be a cool guitar
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    What you can't see in the pics are the tears, the millions of tears!
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Jookyjr said:
    I hope to not find out. Me not burning this won't be the only difference between what me and Jimi can do with a guitar. 
    That isounds unbelievable!

Where did you get your decal from?
    Found a scewed version on the net, tweaked it, corrected colour, resized to fit. Then simplified the lines for the vinyl template(s) 
    That's fecking brilliant. Though I'm slightly disappointed you didn't just use sharpies ;)
    If a bright blue/turquoise would have shown on the red, I'd have been up for it! The blue would have got totally lost on the red sadly. 
    lamf68 said:
    What you can't see in the pics are the tears, the millions of tears!
    Happy to pay extra for some tissues :D
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Great looking guitar.

I reckon a set of Stone Tones from OCP would be the kiddie for that...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Pickups now ordered :) - Have gone for Oil City (again, 3rd set from @TheGuitarWeasel :D )

They are based on similar spec to the Mothers Milk pickups, prototypes of the new OCP Masterwound pickups :D
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10487
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the mention Dave, I will be doing a photo story on winding these in the Made In UK section ... They are based on some 1966 originals I rewound for a customer a while back (with a slightly over-wound bridge unit). One of my favorite vintage Strat pickups.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

The first round of clear coats have now gone on, it's had a wet sand and a buff. Some more to do though, just to make sure my hamfisted playing / handling of the guitar doesn't wear through to fast and damage the pattern.

Again, superb work by the very talented @lamf68

The rest of the parts to put this together are turning up now too, can't wait to get it together :)
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom