James May and the Strat...

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    Guardian article said "a cheap japanese copy", though that could still mean an early JV worth a grand or so…
    I've never seen a JV actually sell for anything like that. £600-£700 tops.

They're nice guitars, but no longer the only game in town for that sort of quality at that sort of price. The recent Japanese and Mexican reissues are at least as good and actually say Fender on them too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Not enough detail on the assembly of the Colt for my liking, where did the magneto get mentioned and why did the exhaust not get fitted (I suspect the later becuase the old one was fairly well oxidised on there).
    For the phone he pulled the old 'and heres one assembled earlier (and not by him I noted). I've got one of those fancy split screwdrivers too so that might make me a geek, yes I'm sure it does. Why this week I bought a rolling tool chest (machine mart -VAT free offer) to house some of my overflowing tool collection, I have a desk job so these are all hobby things!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    Watched the Suffolk Colt episode last night, bit of a bore fest TBH.

I like boring bloke stuff as much as anybody but the way he pretended to put it all together....

He said it took him 37 minutes or something to fit the valves, train and tappets but we never actually saw it and for somebody who is supposed to be a motor whizz he was quite surprised when the gudgeon pin didn't slip right in as he explained to us even though anybody who has worked on engines knows they usually have to be tapped in.

Also that socket on a screwdriver thing would never have got enough torque to do up some of those bolts IMO.

Wouldn't have hurt to put some oil in the sump before he started it too.

I daresay there will be a bit of criticism over his skills at putting a Strat together too!
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    edited April 2016
    underdog said:
    I have one of those screw drivers, if memory serves me correctly @thisisguitar left it at my house many years ago after fixing an amp for me. Still got it 20 years on, he won't getting it back now :D
    I can't remember having one... and if I did it was lifted from my father. In which case it's fine ;-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    Enjoyed the 1950's Telephone reassembly too, classic phone design, he "offered up" the parts with genuine interest and additional pleasant banter...............
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5019
    Recording now in two rooms, just in case. I'm watching the footie. :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    He is a soldering muppet.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    thisisguitar;1028633" said:
    underdog said:

I have one of those screw drivers, if memory serves me correctly @thisisguitar left it at my house many years ago after fixing an amp for me. Still got it 20 years on, he won't getting it back now :D

I can't remember having one... and if I did it was lifted from my father. In which case it's fine ;-)
    I'm pretty sure it's yours (or your old man's) you're one of the few who I didn't have panic about what you'd left at my house man :D
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    5 hours????

I expected real time in a 30minute show
    WezV said:
    5 hours????

I expected real time in a 30minute show
    If you've never one it before then I can see how it would take a while.
    The second time would take 30 mins.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    I did learn something though... The JIS screw/screwdriver. Never knew that.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Fair enough, I accept an hour as reasonable for a newbie. For reassembling a guitar at least.

I may be biased, I did my first strat rebuild at 14 ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Think I enjoyed the phone one more, not knowing much about the insides of an old phone.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24802
    May be we should all dismantle our Strats completely and have a timed challenge as to how soon we can reassemble them?

To be fair, I know Strats inside out and back to front - as I'm sure many of us do - but May presumably didn't? For a casual viewer, I'm sure they'd have gained some understanding of how a Strat works, by watching the show.
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    The guy playing the guitar at the end of the programme used to be my go to guy for anp and guitar repairs, Malcolm Hine is his name - he was based on Edmonton.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    He cut the string before inserting it into the tuner... that's very risky.
    Not really.
    olafgarten;1029163" said:
    My wife said the same.

Totally correct way to string split post tuners
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    It's only risky if you cut it too short! Otherwise it's the right way to do it.

I haven't watched the programme yet (just back from band practice), but I'll iPlayer it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24802
    ICBM;1029169" said:
    (just back from band practice), but I'll iPlayer it.
    'Rehearsal' :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom